Do we urinate more when we burn fat?

Options
I know this is a bizArre question lol. The reason I ask this question is because I just read an article on what happens to the fat that we lose. According to what I read it basically said that most of the fat is exhaled in our breath and that the rest was urinAted out. It also said Losing 10 kilograms of human fat requires the inhalation of 29 kilograms of oxygen, producing 28 kilograms of carbon dioxide and 11 kilograms of water. That’s the metabolic fate of fat.
So that means 10lbs of loss produces 11lbs of water so that's why I asked this weird and random question. Another reason I asked is because it does seem to me at least,that I have been urinating more especially after days I really buckle down on my diet and really excercise hard. Also I do not believe I have been drinking any more water the last few days than any other days.

Replies

• Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,082 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I think your metric conversion from kilo to lbs is off.

If you follow the atoms in 10 kilograms of fat as they are 'lost', 8.4 of those kilograms are exhaled as carbon dioxide through the lungs. The remaining 1.6 kilograms becomes water, which may be excreted in urine, faeces, sweat, breath, tears and other bodily fluids, the authors report.

1 kilo of water = 2lbs 3 oz
    1.6 kilo = 3lbs 8 oz
  • tpyott1
    tpyott1 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Yah I know my conversion was wrong I was just summarizing the idea that fat is exhaled in our breath. The article didn't answer my question would the extra water needed to excrete the fat ( the fat not released in our breath) cause us to urinate more?
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Most of the fat you excrete comes out in your breathing

You pee more when you drink more
  • Camo_xxx
    Options
    My understanding is that most of the water is Exhaled as vapor but I don't recall the percentage,
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    We lose about 2.7l/d. About 1.5l via urine, 0.6l via skin, 0.4l via lungs, and 0.2l via the GI tract.
  • Camo_xxx
    Options
    wabmester wrote: »
    We lose about 2.7l/d. About 1.5l via urine, 0.6l via skin, 0.4l via lungs, and 0.2l via the GI tract.

In total water sure, we were talking about where the fat goes you lose and the 1.6 kilos of water that comes from burning 10 kilos of fat.
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    The body doesn't care where the water comes from. Water in ~= water out. In = drink + eat + metabolize.

Typically, metabolism is responsible for less than 10%.
  • Pootler74
    Pootler74 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I do. And I know that if I have a day that seems like I do nothing but pee, then within a day or two I'll see a decent loss. How much I drink seems not to be what's making me pee - I pretty much drink the same amount every day, but some days I'll pee 5 times, and others (seriously!) 25.

It's always been like this for me, but maybe I'm a whoosher.
  • rawk_fairy_666
    rawk_fairy_666 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Pootler74 wrote: »
    I do. And I know that if I have a day that seems like I do nothing but pee, then within a day or two I'll see a decent loss. How much I drink seems not to be what's making me pee - I pretty much drink the same amount every day, but some days I'll pee 5 times, and others (seriously!) 25.

It's always been like this for me, but maybe I'm a whoosher.

Same here. I have been peeing like mad for the last few days, no change in my water input, and have lost two lbs in two days after not losing for a week before that.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Remember that it usually takes at least 15-20 weeks to lose those 10 kg of fat, so we're talking about 2-4 ounces of extra water per day. That's not a whole lot.
    tpyott1 wrote: »
    it does seem to me at least,that I have been urinating more especially after days I really buckle down on my diet and really excercise hard.

I'm guessing that's partly due to reducing your carb & sodium intake. Both carbs & sodium increase fluid retention. I believe increasing protein also increases urine output.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Your fat cells fill up with water as you burn fat, then you pee the water.

So yes, you'll pee more when you lose weight. Typically I pee a lot for a day and I'm down 2 pounds later..
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

So yes, you'll pee more when you lose weight. Typically I pee a lot for a day and I'm down 2 pounds later..

http://commonhealth.wbur.org/2014/12/where-does-fat-go-when-you-lose-weight-mostly-into-thin-air
  • Jgasmic
    Jgasmic Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

I have that happen, too. I just figure it is water weight that was masking my fat loss.

• hollie894
    hollie894 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

For the rest of the day I shall be sitting in the corner of my office breathing as heavily as a 0800 worker... I WILL lose weight...
  • NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner
    NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    hollie894 wrote: »
    rabbitjb wrote: »

For the rest of the day I shall be sitting in the corner of my office breathing as heavily as a 0800 worker... I WILL lose weight...

Snort. That made me giggle. Call me... I'll let you heavy breathe some fat out!