Triathlon

Options
I am a member of UW Madison's Triathlon Team and I am training for some summer/fall races. I am interested to hear what others are doing for training and what upcoming races they'll be competing in. Training and nutrition tips are welcome!

Replies

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Right now I'm toying with the idea of a fall HIM and haven't set out a program yet.

There is a group here if you are interested
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/88-triathletes-duathletes
  • SBRRepeat
    SBRRepeat Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I have a HIM the day before my birthday in September. Won my age group there last year, but that was at the sprint distance...
    It's either going to be a great birthday or an absolutely terrible one.

There's a whole slew of other races between now and then, mostly smaller regional races. Considering making the trek to the Peasantman in NY in August, just because I like the idea of that race, but there's another race about 45 minutes from home that weekend that'll probably win out.
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I have a full schedule of triathlons for the season:

Challenge Knoxville Half on May 17
    Challenge Atlantic City Full distance June 28th

Then I get to play with shorter and faster races all in august where I do three Olympic races in 4 weeks (A local race, then Challenge Pocono and Challenge Maine)

Toying with the idea of rebuilding for half distance for the end of the season for Beach to Battleship in Wilmington NC but I am not set on that one yet. I don't feel like rebuilding for a full a second time in a season but I could be convinced if my June race goes well.

Edit to add: Clearly I am a fan of the Challenge race series (formerly Rev3) :)
  • 3dogsrunning
    edited April 2015
    Options
    glevinso wrote: »
    I have a full schedule of triathlons for the season:

Challenge Knoxville Half on May 17
    Challenge Atlantic City Full distance June 28th

Then I get to play with shorter and faster races all in august where I do three Olympic races in 4 weeks (A local race, then Challenge Pocono and Challenge Maine)

Toying with the idea of rebuilding for half distance for the end of the season for Beach to Battleship in Wilmington NC but I am not set on that one yet. I don't feel like rebuilding for a full a second time in a season but I could be convinced if my June race goes well.

Edit to add: Clearly I am a fan of the Challenge race series (formerly Rev3) :)

@glevinso - Challenge Maine is the race I am considering.

ETA - I was also going to ask what your thoughts on the Challenge series was.
  • glevinso
    Options
    I have been a fan of Rev3 races for years. They put on a great show, they have excellent organization, and are just plain friendly. I have nothing against Ironman, but their races feel much more "mechanical". You are just a cog in the machine to them. I won't hesitate to do another Ironman branded race again, if it fits my goals for that year. However I find I prefer the race experience that Rev3 (now Challenge) puts on.

Challenge Atlantic City is not one of the old Rev3 races. I did that race last year and didn't do as well as I would have liked. So I am going back for round 2 this year.

I should also add as a caveat that my wife is a member of the Challenge Age Group team so perhaps I *do* have a little bit of a bias towards them due to that.
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    I have been a fan of Rev3 races for years. They put on a great show, they have excellent organization, and are just plain friendly. I have nothing against Ironman, but their races feel much more "mechanical". You are just a cog in the machine to them. I won't hesitate to do another Ironman branded race again, if it fits my goals for that year. However I find I prefer the race experience that Rev3 (now Challenge) puts on.

Challenge Atlantic City is not one of the old Rev3 races. I did that race last year and didn't do as well as I would have liked. So I am going back for round 2 this year.

I should also add as a caveat that my wife is a member of the Challenge Age Group team so perhaps I *do* have a little bit of a bias towards them due to that.

I'm not going to lie, my first inclination was to do an Ironman brand race. I've watched an ironman in person and it seemed like a pretty good show. And nice swag. But there are simply none within reasonable driving distance in my time frame. I have heard a lot of good stuff about the Challenge series though.
    I don't want to have to fly.
  • glevinso
    Options
    I get the draw of the Ironman name. But one thing to remember is that Ironman 70.3 races are not actually "Ironman" other than the name. They are run by local race directors from start to finish, and Ironman gets to put their name on it. So the experience you get from the 70.3 races can be all over the place and is different everywhere. Some are fantastic, some are "meh".

The full Ironman races are all run by the Ironman organization itself and are more "cog in the machine" which was what I felt like at Ironman Lake Tahoe in 2013.

Challenge(/Rev3), with only a couple of exceptions (Atlantic City, St Andrews, Rancho Cordova), are all run by the former Rev3 group and are run more like the full Ironman races in that they travel from place to place with their big trucks and do all the hard work as a single team. The experience is very consistent across their races, and all get their local flavor.

One nice touch of their races is that every finisher's medal is "customized" for the location. They make sure each medal stands out in some way. Also I don't know if they are doing it again this year but in the past the age group "prize" is actually a thing that clips on to the finisher's medal, so in a sense you get a special "add-on" for your medal if you are on the podium. Pretty neat setup.
  • 3dogsrunning
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I get the draw of the Ironman name. But one thing to remember is that Ironman 70.3 races are not actually "Ironman" other than the name. They are run by local race directors from start to finish, and Ironman gets to put their name on it. So the experience you get from the 70.3 races can be all over the place and is different everywhere. Some are fantastic, some are "meh".

The full Ironman races are all run by the Ironman organization itself and are more "cog in the machine" which was what I felt like at Ironman Lake Tahoe in 2013.

Challenge(/Rev3), with only a couple of exceptions (Atlantic City, St Andrews, Rancho Cordova), are all run by the former Rev3 group and are run more like the full Ironman races in that they travel from place to place with their big trucks and do all the hard work as a single team. The experience is very consistent across their races, and all get their local flavor.

One nice touch of their races is that every finisher's medal is "customized" for the location. They make sure each medal stands out in some way. Also I don't know if they are doing it again this year but in the past the age group "prize" is actually a thing that clips on to the finisher's medal, so in a sense you get a special "add-on" for your medal if you are on the podium. Pretty neat setup.

I didn't realize that (about the 70.3 not being run by the organization).

ETA - the additional prize is nice, not that I have a shot of getting my own. LOL.
  • glevinso
    Options

I didn't realize that (about the 70.3 not being run by the organization).

The upshot to that structure is that you know that your money is mostly staying local. Local race directors license the Ironman 70.3 name, which helps them bring more people in, which makes for a good race experience if that race director is a good one. So if you know who is actually producing the race, and you like them, it is good to support. But you can also know that, for example, you didn't like a race you did by some race company and they are the ones actually behind the local Ironman 70.3, you know to look elsewhere.
  • rebecca4277
    rebecca4277 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I only do local Sprint tri's. I raced Iron Girl 3x summers in a row but the race has gotten to big and to expensive. I live in central NY so I have a lot of races to choose from. Syracuse has an IM 70.3. My husband is registered but I am not ready for this distance.
  • SBRRepeat
    SBRRepeat Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Challenge New Albany was run by a local race company last year, since it was replacing one of their signature races in the area. I wouldn't say it was a huge hit, but there was some semblance of a pro field, which is rare in these parts.
    Of course, it was cancelled this year, so... There's that.
  • HillOE
    HillOE Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I vol'ed at IM Canada when it was in Penticton, it's now a Challenge Penticton - wouldn't mind doing that one. hilly.
    I believe that with the Challenge group they have aqua velo as an option. I've been sidelined from running, so having an aqua velo is a nice option rather than having to add in speed walking training.

I have Kinetic (VA), Grande Fondo (MD), SavageMan (aqua velo - MD), B2B (aqua velo, it's a great half, imagine the full is good too - loved it when it actually finished at the battleship, now it's downtown).

Volunteers and fans cheering make the race. It's what tipped me into deciding on doing an IM, I liked my half distance just fine, but the good vibe is contagious. While you can defo go for a non IM(tm) race, there is nothing like hearing your name and "you are an IronMan" as you cross the finish line after many many (and for me many many many) hours.
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    SBRRepeat wrote: »
    Challenge New Albany was run by a local race company last year, since it was replacing one of their signature races in the area. I wouldn't say it was a huge hit, but there was some semblance of a pro field, which is rare in these parts.

Challenge St Andrews brought in Mirinda Carfrae and Chris MacCormack among others for their first race last year. I was heartbroken I couldn't race or even go to watch (8 months pregnant at the time).

@HillOE - that's very true for the full distance.
  • glevinso
    Options

Challenge St Andrews brought in Mirinda Carfrae and Chris MacCormack among others for their first race last year. I was heartbroken I couldn't race or even go to watch (8 months pregnant at the time).

Both were at Challenge AC last year and I got my pic taken with them, and autographs. I definitely have a bit of a celebrity-crush on Rinny ;)
  • glevinso
    Options
    HillOE wrote: »
    While you can defo go for a non IM(tm) race, there is nothing like hearing your name and "you are an IronMan" as you cross the finish line after many many (and for me many many many) hours.

I'll admit that hearing Mike Reilly call my name at IM Lake Tahoe was something special.
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options

Both were at Challenge AC last year and I got my pic taken with them, and autographs. I definitely have a bit of a celebrity-crush on Rinny ;)

Can't really blame you there since I have a bit of a girl crush on her myself.

I should also add friends who did St Andrews loved it. Despite the hurricane that cleared up just in time to race.