Freaking out about (TMI alert) my poop color

Options
BonJody
BonJody Posts: 25 Member
edited April 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
OK, so I started a new regimen about two weeks ago. I'm back on the bandwagon, sweet!

Week 1 included lots of fruits, veggies, chicken, sweet potatoes/Yukon gold with no dairy, red meat or sugar/artificial sweeteners.

Week 2 was a balance of fruits, veggies, eggs, chicken/fish/turkey bacon, whole wheat products, cottage cheese.

I somehow managed to switch drinking from about 150 ounces of Diet Coke a day — I miss you old friend!!! — to gulping a ton of water and a Stevia-sweetened soda or two a day. I've also been taking probiotics for the first time ever.

And ... now my poop is kind of a funky tannish/slightly green color instead of the usual brown. (Sorry, but you clicked on the link!)

Has this happened to anyone else? Is this weird? Will I ever see my brown poop again?

I looked at the poop color chart, and I'm now freaking out that I have pancreatic cancer or gallbladder issues (and I already had my gallbladder removed!).

POOP EXPERTS HELP ME!!!

Replies

• Of_Monsters_and_Meat
    Of_Monsters_and_Meat Posts: 1,022 Member
    Options
    In my professional opinion it is more than likely cancer.
  • joejward95
    joejward95 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Green Poo is normal if you're eating a load of veggies.
  • brewingPHX
    brewingPHX Posts: 285 Member
    Options

It totally has to be!

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    Pancreatic cancer doesn't mess around.
  • BonJody
    Options

I KNEW IT!!!
  • rossinator63
    rossinator63 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Could be the coloring in the soda.
  • White_n_Nerdy
    White_n_Nerdy Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    It's probably NOT cancer. It could be changes in the colors of the food you're eating (lots of kale / spinach will turn your poop green!) or changes in your iron intake (excess iron leaves the body as a salt, which is green).

I would give it another week. If you're not eating a lot of green foods and it doesn't go back to normal, then I would see a physician just to make sure it's nothing more serious.
  • BonJody
    Options
    Could be the coloring in the soda.

I also wondered about this. I mean, I was guzzling down who knows how much of that caramel coloring a day.
  • Lexicpt
    Lexicpt Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Poop comes in all colors, including green.
  • monkeypantz
    monkeypantz Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Have you been eating a lot of spinach lately? If so, probably that?
  • hollie894
    hollie894 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    42e23775efe2af8a6100c82ba86b43ef.jpg
  • gzus7freek
    gzus7freek Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    I vote for - Giardia lamblia - better get that checked.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    Just checked your food diary. You're lucky to have any poop at all, no matter what color. You are eating entirely too few calories. Stop trying to lose all your weight all at once. It doesn't work.
  • jpaulie
    jpaulie Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    try eating a bunch of beets. freak you out the next day
  • Dave55412
    Dave55412 Posts: 88 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I'm no poop expert, but I'd say that it's just your digestive system getting rid of the stuff that it had in it before you started eating healthy. You could drop a deuce in a zip lock bag, take it to the doctor, hand it to the receptionist and say that you want it tested. :D
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    In my non-professional opinion, it doesn't sound that weird to me. My poop can vary in color depending on what I've eaten. I usually eat a lot of vegetables, so it's not unusual for mine to have a bit of green to it. Last week I ate a ton of spicy cheetos and ended up with orange. :)
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,671 Member
    Options
    jpaulie wrote: »
    try eating a bunch of beets. freak you out the next day
    Every. Freaking. Time.

• khloesdad0124
    khloesdad0124 Posts: 62 Member
    Options

Green stools

If stool passes through the intestine too quickly, there might not be enough time for bile to be digested and broken down to provide the normal brownish stool color. Bile is a greenish brown fluid that is manufactured in the liver and stored in the gallbladder. Bile helps digest fats in food. It takes time for the bile to degrade and turn brown in the intestine and if the transit time is short, the stool remains green colored. This is why diarrhea is often greenish in color.

Green stools may be a normal variant. It can also be caused by a diet rich in green vegetables, especially spinach. Iron supplements also may be a cause, though it often turns stool black

http://www.medicinenet.com/stool_color_changes/article.htm
  • flissy5
    flissy5 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I like a TMI thread. Especially when they are about poop. :smile:
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    joejward95 wrote: »
    Green Poo is normal if you're eating a load of veggies.
    +1

OP, have you never changed a diaper? Spinach = green poop, usually very squishy poop.