I blew it last night...

Options
I have been doing so well on my diet. But...last night a friend came over. I had 2 glasses of red wine and then it went down hill from there. I had a healthy dinner but then a bowl of cereal and then a half of an ice cream bar. I am so angry with myself. I will get back on track today but...
What do you do when this happens? Do you cut out calories for today or what?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    It's one day. I would just get back on track with my plan. A bowl of cereal and half an ice cream bar can't put you that much over your calorie goal.
  • NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner
    NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    flippy1234 wrote: »
    I have been doing so well on my diet. But...last night a friend came over. I had 2 glasses of red wine and then it went down hill from there. I had a healthy dinner but then a bowl of cereal and then a half of an ice cream bar. I am so angry with myself. I will get back on track today but...

Cor you rebel you! A bowl of cereal and half of an ice cream bar?

Smash down 5 easter eggs, 12 churro's and a gallon of beer and then be concerned. It's one night. Don't worry. Log it, move on. :)
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    I ate like 3 ice cream bars and cup cakes last weekend because here was a birthday party at work and they just left them out to tempt me. I just got back on track. Ended up still losing and not looking any worse than I did before eating them.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Log it and move on. It doesn't even sound like you hit maintenance, so most likely your loss for the week will be a little less.
  • dorkyfaery
    dorkyfaery Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    Log it and move on. It doesn't even sound like you hit maintenance, so most likely your loss for the week will be a little less.
    Echoing. Let it go and move on.
  • johnjay1178
    johnjay1178 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I also get the drunken munchies. Only mine are salty snacks. Not sugar.
  • flippy1234
    flippy1234 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    Thank you! AS you all know, when you do so well and then mess up, it's frustrating. Thanks for the encouragement. You guys are all great!
  • JonKinarthy
    JonKinarthy Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Ditto. Overcorrecting can lead to swerving which can lead to spin outs. I've been doing this for a year and had too many days like that to count, but not making a big deal out of them is like a secret weapon.
  • NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner
    NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Thank you! AS you all know, when you do so well and then mess up, it's frustrating. Thanks for the encouragement. You guys are all great!

Hey... you could have eaten ALL the ice cream bar... but you didn't. So you know deep down that even after alcohol, you have some level of restraint. Well done you!

• ladieofthebees
    ladieofthebees Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    A lot of people will probably suggest this, but if you look at your calories for the whole week, you probably didn't make much of a dent in your overall weekly allowance. Weight loss happens over time and days like this happen. I wouldn't worry and just carry on as normal :smile:
  • Cave_Goose
    Cave_Goose Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I blew it yesterday as well. But today is a new day! Make it a great one.
  • hollie894
    hollie894 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    What is an ice cream bar?!
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options

Once I hit something like the 60 day mark, I lost my perfectionist attitude I had when I first started. I wasn't as strict about everything like I was. I still log all my food, still pick healthy options, but don't stress out if my boss wants to get a beer with me. You have to live life! If you restrict yourself from having fun or being social you won't stick to your plan. Just be consistent, don't stress, and tweak your plan based on your numbers.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    hollie894 wrote: »
    What is an ice cream bar?!

I dunno. Seems like something I used to see in the Twilight Zone.
  • Allelito
    Allelito Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I ate until my stomach hurt for like 2½ days straight when I was visiting my family over easter (and I can eat more than ANYONE I know, my friends never cease to be surprised over how much I can eat if I wanna..). And I'm talking easter candy, easter food, more candy, greek food (mm, garlic bread..), some more candy..
    Before I went I was 59 kilos (~130 lbs), I got back on track right after I got home on the 5th and today I'm 57,9 kilos (~127,5 lbs).
    I made sure to enjoy it instead of feeling bad about it (except for the stomach aches..) and then just get right back on track afterwards and put that (in my case, planned) binge behind me :)

Moral of the story.. Don't worry about your ice cream and cereal! Log it and move on :smiley:
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    It's in the past. Ergo, it's just as irrelevant as all the extra calories you ate before you started at MFP.

You gained weight in the past, whether yesterday or last week or last year. It happened. That's not important. What's important is that, from today onward, you're going to take it off.
  • dufus12
    dufus12 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    aimeerace wrote: »

Cor you rebel you! A bowl of cereal and half of an ice cream bar?

Smash down 5 easter eggs, 12 churro's and a gallon of beer and then be concerned. It's one night. Don't worry. Log it, move on. :)

ROFL - yup, that puts it in perspective!

• NikiChicken
    NikiChicken Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    It's one day. I would just get back on track with my plan. A bowl of cereal and half an ice cream bar can't put you that much over your calorie goal.

This. Track it and move on. One day doesn't kill a diet unless you choose to let it. Besides that, a bowl of cereal and half an ice cream bar doesn't exactly make a cringe-worthy binge.
  • flippy1234
    flippy1234 Posts: 686 Member
    Options

This. Track it and move on. One day doesn't kill a diet unless you choose to let it. Besides that, a bowl of cereal and half an ice cream bar doesn't exactly make a cringe-worthy binge.

OK, maybe I am being silly. I am new at this. It's just that I was sooooo careful. Weighing and measuring everything I put into my mouth. FYI, it was a Klondike bar and truthfully, it was not that good, Nor was the cereal, so, the good news is that I think I have lost my taste for that junk. Neither satisfied me. I should have had another bowl of the black beans and Quionoa I had for dinner. Now that was good!
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    OK, maybe I am being silly. I am new at this. It's just that I was sooooo careful. Weighing and measuring everything I put into my mouth. FYI, it was a Klondike bar and truthfully, it was not that good, Nor was the cereal, so, the good news is that I think I have lost my taste for that junk. Neither satisfied me. I should have had another bowl of the black beans and Quionoa I had for dinner. Now that was good!

Realizing that you've lost your taste for that junk is a massive NSV (non-scale victory). Celebrate that!

Also remember that you're not dieting for a short time. You're creating new food habits for life. That means you need to be flexible and make room for some treats sometimes, because it's not realistic to think that for the rest of your life, you'll never eat ice cream. I mean, why would anyone want to contemplate a lifetime of no ice cream?

So work some of those treats (the ones you do enjoy) into your calorie goal, and eat everything in moderation. Most people who are too restrictive end up failing because they can't sustain it.