Help! I Just Can't Stay Motivated

Options
I am soo upset with myself. I was on weight watchers and lost 33 lbs. I didn't have much support, ok, more like no support from home so I just quiet dieting. Now I've gained weight and I can't seem to stay with keeping track of what I eat more than half a day! Somebody help!!! Sew my lips shut, slice the fat of with an electric knife, something, anything!

Replies

• kjablinskey
    kjablinskey Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I hear the lack of support at home thing s lot here, and I get it and have experienced a little of that myself. While it's nice and helpful to get some positive feedback, it's really your inner motivation to change that's going to get you where you want to go and, more importantly and harder, to keep you there for the rest of your life.

I think people start down this road for a multitude of reasons, and those reasons are going to change along the way. As will your goals. But the one thing that seems to be the common thread among all those who are successful long term is that they've stopped looking for their primary support and motivation outside themselves. They do it for THEM and THEY are the ones who get themselves out there every day to excercise and hold themselves accountable.

We can tell you great job and like your status reports, and that's no small thing, but in the end it's going to be YOU that has to get it done.
  • Zombella
    Zombella Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    It is hard to say, but you are the only person who is going to look out for yourself 100% so you can do this without support, even though it is hard. Are you an emotional eater? I know if I get stressed out, my mind immediately goes to whatever is in the kitchen that I think will make me feel better. There are a lot of great people on here who also need motivation and will give it back!
  • Saclum
    Saclum Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I struggle with the same thing! I finally found a program that works awesome for me and I met people through the program that helps keep me motivated and now I help coach others!!! I would recommend it to anyone!!
  • spirit7125
    spirit7125 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Hi Brenda,

I feel your pain. I've lost 25#+ twice, only to gain it back. I think the support thing is important, but I have plenty of it and still am screwing up a lot. The key is to start fresh every day and forget past transgressions. I did not start tracking my food fully until I put two items into place to constantly remind me. I have been using the app "Pact" for about a year and have had great success with it! Basically, they pay you to track your food, but you pay them if you forget. The other is having my personal trainer look at and critique my entries on MFP.
    I have been there with the "sew my lips shut" idea....forgive yourself of the past and start fresh today. Why not plan what you're going to have for the rest of the day by entering it in now and make sure you stick to it? When I'm feeling really out of control (like today), this works for me. Myself, I just got back from a vacation that included very bad eating, so I am starting fresh today too :-) Good luck!
  • stevieleemiller
    stevieleemiller Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hey, I feel you on the no support part. Whenever I think I'm getting support with things, it just drops. I've had a problem with under eating for a long while, and I never listened to my family. But when I started a fitness group, I really thought I'd get the support and help I knew I needed, but every time support would happen, it'd drop just as quick, so I've had to push myself and learn things myself also, which has been hard, switching bones for abs was the first decision, then I needed to figure out how on earth to do that. I found under eating and working out wasn't giving me abs, I was just dropping more weight, at which point I knew I had to eat. Then I ended up eating too much of the wrong stuff so I'd diet, enjoy dieting, under eat, and repeat.
    It wasn't until I read a quote that said 'fitness isn't a diet, it's a lifestyle change' which made my brain explode, I then realised that's what I'd been doing so wrong.. Dieting!
    So a little advice for you, don't diet and think okay once I reach this weight I'll be all good, cause when you reach that weight and stop the diet, the weight won't stay off. Change your entire lifestyle, the way you see food, the food you eat, the way you see exercise as a whole, ask yourself what's better? Bones or abs? Abs are harder to achieve, so they are more rewarding when you achieve them.
    There's a million and one sites on the Internet that are dedicated to fitness as a whole rather than just losing weight, you can find what's good to eat and what's not, (in a nutshell)
    I'll be happy to be your motivation and help you along with words, recipes, guidance and all the support I can give.

Sometimes you need someone to just give you a kick up to booty!
    All my love,
    Stevie x
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    I am soo upset with myself. I was on weight watchers and lost 33 lbs. I didn't have much support, ok, more like no support from home so I just quiet dieting. Now I've gained weight and I can't seem to stay with keeping track of what I eat more than half a day! Somebody help!!! Sew my lips shut, slice the fat of with an electric knife, something, anything!

Instead of keeping track, you may do better by planning it all out and logging in the morning or the night before. You have done it before so you can do it again. I blamed others for bring home trigger foods and not supporting me but I realized that I was responsible for what went into my mouth. Having your favorite ice cream in the freezer or a bag of potato chips on the counter or going out at 6am in the cold to walk/run may be hard. But eating an appropriate serving of ice cream or chips and making them fit your calories/macros and finishing your workout and feeling stronger is very empowering.
  • MaVieEntiere
    MaVieEntiere Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    spirit7125 wrote: »
    Hi Brenda,

I feel your pain. I've lost 25#+ twice, only to gain it back. I think the support thing is important, but I have plenty of it and still am screwing up a lot. The key is to start fresh every day and forget past transgressions. I did not start tracking my food fully until I put two items into place to constantly remind me. I have been using the app "Pact" for about a year and have had great success with it! Basically, they pay you to track your food, but you pay them if you forget. The other is having my personal trainer look at and critique my entries on MFP.
    I have been there with the "sew my lips shut" idea....forgive yourself of the past and start fresh today. Why not plan what you're going to have for the rest of the day by entering it in now and make sure you stick to it? When I'm feeling really out of control (like today), this works for me. Myself, I just got back from a vacation that included very bad eating, so I am starting fresh today too :-) Good luck!

That was helpful for me to hear too, good luck Brenda. Don't be hard on yourself. Give yourself some grace.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,715 Member
    Options
    I hear the lack of support at home thing s lot here, and I get it and have experienced a little of that myself. While it's nice and helpful to get some positive feedback, it's really your inner motivation to change that's going to get you where you want to go and, more importantly and harder, to keep you there for the rest of your life.

I think people start down this road for a multitude of reasons, and those reasons are going to change along the way. As will your goals. But the one thing that seems to be the common thread among all those who are successful long term is that they've stopped looking for their primary support and motivation outside themselves. They do it for THEM and THEY are the ones who get themselves out there every day to excercise and hold themselves accountable.

We can tell you great job and like your status reports, and that's no small thing, but in the end it's going to be YOU that has to get it done.

THIS! Very well said.