macro and micro nutrient

Options
I'm not sure I fully understand all this about macro and micro nutrient. Someone please give me an example of what my day would look like? I'm 5'0" 201 lbs I want to lose at least 51lbs.

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Macros = macronutrients - carbs, protein, fiber - the things we eat most of
    Micros = micronutritents - vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, etc.

How much you need of each varies based on your goals/preferences, but there are recommended daily guidelines for most.

What exactly are you looking for? Sample menus?
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    A few more questions need to be asked before it can be calculated. How often do you (or do you plan to) workout? What kind of activity do you do when you work out? Besides exercise how active are you?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    there is no one size fits all optimal macro ratio...a body builder for example is going to have a completely different breakdown of carbs, fat, and protein than a marathon runner.

• losergood2011
    losergood2011 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    what type of eating preferences do you have also plays into it.
  • bluworld
    bluworld Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Protein is a macro nutrient. The various amino acids are micro nutrients. Generally, if you eat a variety to fill your macros, you should be suffient in most, if not all, of your micros.
  • goingtobefit2015
    goingtobefit2015 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I usually walk/jog 1 mile 3xweek along with either kicking soccer ball, throwing baseball/batting. Skating 2x week. Sometimes play Tennis. I know I need to get back to strength training with weights. I will also do some HIT videos at home. I try to exercise 5x a week. I use a Polar HR monitor also when I exercise to calculate calories burned for that activity. I'm just not sure how to measure how much protein, carbs etc I need in a day!
  • goingtobefit2015
    Options
    what type of eating preferences do you have also plays into it.

I like most everything so I think I'm pretty easy
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I usually walk/jog 1 mile 3xweek along with either kicking soccer ball, throwing baseball/batting. Skating 2x week. Sometimes play Tennis. I know I need to get back to strength training with weights. I will also do some HIT videos at home. I try to exercise 5x a week. I use a Polar HR monitor also when I exercise to calculate calories burned for that activity. I'm just not sure how to measure how much protein, carbs etc I need in a day!

shoot for 0.8 - 1 gram of protein per Lb of LBM and 0.3-0.4 grams of fat per Lb of body weight and round the rest out with carbs...adjust as necessary.
  • cathipa
    Options
    So based on what you have said you should have a calorie goal of 1815 with 201g protein, 50g fat & 140g carb per day. Hope this helps!
  • goingtobefit2015
    Options
    cathipa wrote: »
    So based on what you have said you should have a calorie goal of 1815 with 201g protein, 50g fat & 140g carb per day. Hope this helps!

that seems high calories to me
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options

201g of protein?!? That's sounds insane to me. Where in the world did you come up with such a figure? That is 1g per lb of body weight.

Most recommendations I've seen are either 1g per kg of total body weight, or 1g per lb of LBM.
  • JoReddBowe
    JoReddBowe Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I like 40% carbs, 30% protein, and 30% fat for me.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options

201g of protein?!? That's sounds insane to me. Where in the world did you come up with such a figure? That is 1g per lb of body weight.

Most recommendations I've seen are either 1g per kg of total body weight, or 1g per lb of LBM.

I agree 201g sounds high, and isn't necessary, but 1g per kg is nowhere near enough. I've normally seen 0.8 - 1g per pound. Or 1.5 - 2 per kg. Which would be about 150-160g.
  • jddnw
    jddnw Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    OP: You can learn about macros and find what is right for you with this calculator: http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/
  • goingtobefit2015
    Options
    jddnw wrote: »
    OP: You can learn about macros and find what is right for you with this calculator: http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/

thank you!
  • goingtobefit2015
    Options
    JoReddBowe wrote: »
    I like 40% carbs, 30% protein, and 30% fat for me.

This is what I decided to change my goals to!
  • cathipa
    edited April 2015
    Options

No need to be rude, just offering help for what has worked for me (and others). Here is a good article (there are others but this also includes where you get your recommendations from as well http://authoritynutrition.com/how-much-protein-per-day/)

And just curious why you think my number is insane and I wonder what you would think of someone doing South Beach or Atkins number would be like.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options

No need to be rude, just offering help for what has worked for me (and others). Here is a good article (there are others but this also includes where you get your recommendations from as well http://authoritynutrition.com/how-much-protein-per-day/)

And just curious why you think my number is insane and I wonder what you would think of someone doing South Beach or Atkins number would be like.

Most posters here think of the protein goal as a "minimum." And yes, 200 grams of protein per day is an insane "minimum" number for the OP. But it's not a bad "average" number to shoot for. It's higher than necessary to build/maintain LBM, but the elevated protein may be helpful for decreasing satiety.