Chicken tacos

Options
2»

Replies

• knt217
    knt217 Posts: 115 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    ^ I did almost just that tonight. I like to use stewed tomatoes, blended a bit so they're smoother, and I use the "taco seasoning 1" recipe from allrecipes. That's my go to with regular pan tacos with ground meat (turkey, venison, or beex) and it works well bc the stewed tomatoes give a good amount of liquid to cook down with the seasoning. I may try rotel next time though. It was a bit too much liquid for the crock pot with my usual method.
  • SunflowerCat74
    SunflowerCat74 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Drain some of the liquid from the tomatoes (or rotel) before adding to the crockpot. It helps cut down on the liquid.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I just seasoned shredded chicken, then put it in a corn tortilla with cabbage, cilantro, scallion, jalapeno, pico de gallo, and a squeeze of lime.

Kind of like Eating Well Spicy Chicken Taco

MP3174_Mitz_310x310_web.jpg
  • norie92
    norie92 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    You people make me hungry
  • T00GlaM0r0US
    T00GlaM0r0US Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    use corn tortillas for less calories!! I like to boil the chicken and make a salsa using 5 roma tomatos, 1/2 can of chipotles in adobo, 2 garlic cloves and salt to taste ... after boiling and shredding the chicken i sautee 1-2 onions that are cut into thin strips until they are transclucent .. then add my salsa and salt to taste .. then add the chicken and cooking a bit ... i like to top my tortillas with cilantro, onions, avocado
  • BigLifter10
    BigLifter10 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    sbogstad: Thanks for the photos! I will be trying this. Love chicken tacos, but usually just use slow-cooked chicken and shred it, then add whatever. This looks tastier!
  • cat_lady77
    cat_lady77 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    OMG tacos! I don't really use a recipe, just cook chicken in taco seasoning & add whatever! Avocados/guacamole makes them pretty awesome but it's not good for low-cal I guess. I can't stand lite sour cream so I use regular. If you don't want the calories from tortillas, use lettuce wraps.
  • AdrienneKaren
    AdrienneKaren Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I put a pound of boneless skinless chicken breasts in the crock pot, sprinkle 2 tbsp of homemade taco seasoning on top, and then dump in a 16oz jar of salsa. Then, I cook it on low all day and shred it up when I get home from work. So good and juicy! The leftover chicken is really good in scrambled eggs too.
  • sbogstad
    sbogstad Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    sbogstad: Thanks for the photos! I will be trying this. Love chicken tacos, but usually just use slow-cooked chicken and shred it, then add whatever. This looks tastier!

Thanks! I work from home, so having to smell slow-cooked meals through-out the day about kills me.

• rhtexasgal
    rhtexasgal Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    If you don't want grains, make it a chicken taco salad or use large green leaf lettuce to wrap the meat up in ...
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    I made these last night trying to recreate a meal I had in a restaurant. They were really good! Believe it or not they were great today for lunch too. They are bulked up with veggies and the bacon and grilling add great smoke flavor. My guess that is why they reheat well. We made seven tacos but they were pretty full so I bet I could get 8 next time. Sorry no photo this time.

Alambre Chicken Tacos
    Serves 4; Makes 8 tacos

1 large (12 oz.) boneless skinless chicken breast
    1 tsp. olive oil
    Sazon seasoning, to taste
    4 strips center cut bacon, cut into 1-1/2” pieces
    1/2 green bell pepper, cut into 1/2” pieces
    1/2 yellow onion, cut into 1/2” pieces
    8 oz. sliced mushrooms
    Kosher salt and black pepper, to taste
    8 small flour tortillas
    3/4 cup Monterrey jack cheese, shredded

Preheat grill on high for ten minutes. Meanwhile drizzle chicken breast with olive oil and season with sazon. Lower grill to medium high and grill chicken 6 minutes each side. Remove from grill and cover with foil to rest. Place bacon in a skillet over medium high heat, when bacon begins to brown push to one side and add onions and peppers. Saute until they begin to soften and onion starts to get translucent, add mushrooms and stir in bacon. Cook until mushrooms begin to brown. Meanwhile slice or dice chicken and add to the pan. Top with cheese and cover to melt the cheese. To serve place a spoon of filling on each tortilla.

Or as a make ahead meal leave cheese off. Store chicken filling when ready to eat warm a serving of filling for 30 seconds in the microwave on High. Then place filling on two tortilla, top with cheese and place back into the microwave for 30 seconds.

Servings 4; Nutritional information per serving: Calories 366, Total Fat 15 g, Saturated Fat 8 g, Monounsaturated Fat 2 g, Polyunsaturated Fat 0 g, Trans Fat 0 g, Cholesterol 56 mg, Sodium 1300 mg, Potassium 312 mg, Total Carbohydrate 36 g, Dietary Fiber 1 g, Sugars 2 g, Protein 21 g.

• dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Here is another chicken taco I love to make. soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2014/07/suiza-rellenos-tacos.html

Suiza+Rellenos+Tacos+2.jpg