Paleo anyone?

Options
Hi all,
Is anyone doing the Paleo diet right now? If so, how is it going? Comments, complaints?

Replies

• MDAPebbles67
    MDAPebbles67 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    There is a wonderful Primal/Paleo support group here on MFP. I have been eating Paleo for 5 years. I love it.
  • flippy1234
    flippy1234 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    Are you worried about any long term health effects? I have heard that it has not been studied enough.
  • hmthomas317
    hmthomas317 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Paleo is a big commitment but it pays off and you will feel incredible. The Paleo Solution by Robb Wolff is a great book to get if you are really interested in how and why Paleo works. He explains the science behind it and there is also a thirty day challenge included with recipes to get you started.
  • Kimberly_Harper
    Kimberly_Harper Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    flippy1234 wrote: »
    Are you worried about any long term health effects? I have heard that it has not been studied enough.

For me, I'm not worried, mainly because at the end of the day when I finish logging, I notice that I have gotten most of my "RDA" of vitamins and everything just from veggies, fruit, meat, etc.. (I do take a multi-supplement just to take care of anything I missed) So, I get 8-ish hours of sleep per night, try to exercise more, eat a balanced diet where I hit most of my nutrition goals and feel great.

• TiffanyR71
    TiffanyR71 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    It *may* make you feel wonderful- it may not... It's not for everyone (including me) - try it and see if it works well for you!
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    It's a fad diet with zero scientific support and a ridiculous premise.

If you want to follow it, have fun with that. Just don't go thinking it's any more magical thank the Atkins diet, the Grapefruit diet, the Cayenne Pepper diet or the myriad other fad diets that came before it.

Or, you could just follow CICO and eat whatever you like. Your choice.
  • leodru
    leodru Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I've followed paleo at points and can't say it changed my life. It did get me back into eating things that are good for me (more vegetables) and did get me to reverse bad habits like eating low fat products. Nothing wrong with a eating nutritious foods. It's healthy than what the majority of the public eats at this point.
  • samharmony
    samharmony Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I've only been doing Paleo for a few months, and am looking at it more of a lifestyle change than diet. I've enjoyed looking up new recipes, and finding fun new things to eat. I've found a few good staples that everyone in my house likes (Chicken fried rice, using cauliflower as rice).
    It's not for everyone but give it a month and see if you like it. I started Paleo as a Lent challenge with a group of ladies from church, at the end of Lent this year most of us decided to stick with it.
  • Kimberly_Harper
    Kimberly_Harper Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    segacs wrote: »

If you want to follow it, have fun with that. Just don't go thinking it's any more magical thank the Atkins diet, the Grapefruit diet, the Cayenne Pepper diet or the myriad other fad diets that came before it.

LOL I knew it would be less than an hour before someone chimed in with this. segacs is right, though - it isn't magic. It is worth trying, however. I tried it as a "what the heck" thing and I'm really glad I did. It isn't for everyone, but I love it mainly because I am now more conscious about my nutrition and lifestyle as a whole, and because it has gotten me back into the kitchen, experimenting with foods and spices and home-cooked meals. It was more of a guide for me on how to get healthy again when I was in a very unhealthy part of my life.
  • MDAPebbles67
    Options
    flippy1234 wrote: »

I am not sure what long term health effects could occur by simply avoiding things like wheat, sugar, processed food and seed oils.

I eat all of the macronutrients Protein, Fats and Carbohydrates. I eat 1600-2000 calories a day. I have lost a good amount of weight.

Like others said, try it and see if you feel better in any way. :)
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    I know someone doing paleo. She's skinny as all heck, but as bright as a star. She does not deviate and I'm jealous of her for her success, but it's something that I couldn't even begin to stick with.
  • MDAPebbles67
    Options
    TiffanyR71 wrote: »
    It *may* make you feel wonderful- it may not... It's not for everyone (including me) - try it and see if it works well for you!

I was referring to the Primal/Paleo support group as wonderful...as in very supportive. Whether the op tries Paleo or not, that is the place to get better information instead of the main forum.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options

You think a diet that admittedly has some pretty wild claims, but still promotes eating whole natural foods and not starving yourself to diets like the grapefruit or ceyenne pepper diet?
  • atypicalsmith
    Options

You think a diet that admittedly has some pretty wild claims, but still promotes eating whole natural foods and not starving yourself to diets like the grapefruit or ceyenne pepper diet?

LOL! I forgot about the grapefruit diet! It was the rage of the (well, I won't say the decade because it will date us).
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options

Fad diet is fad diet is fad diet.

"Natural" is a buzzword that is really only popular among people who don't understand science very well. Chemicals are natural. All food is made up of chemicals. All food is processed, even if the process is simply picking the fruit off the tree or collecting the egg from the henhouse. And nothing in the paleo diet even remotely resembles how paleolithic people lived (which, really, why would you want to emulate their lifestyle? They usually died by age 30.)

For maybe the first time in human history, we -- well, those of us lucky enough to live in wealthy developed nations -- have access to an abundance of food and an abundance of choice. Too bad we keep using superstition to make silly restrictive choices that are based not on evidence, but on hype.

Having said that, if it floats your boat, hey, more power to you.
  • atypicalsmith
    Options

"Natural" is a buzzword that is really only popular among people who don't understand science very well. Chemicals are natural. All food is made up of chemicals. All food is processed, even if the process is simply picking the fruit off the tree or collecting the egg from the henhouse. And nothing in the paleo diet even remotely resembles how paleolithic people lived (which, really, why would you want to emulate their lifestyle? They usually died by age 30.)

For maybe the first time in human history, we -- well, those of us lucky enough to live in wealthy developed nations -- have access to an abundance of food and an abundance of choice. Too bad we keep using superstition to make silly restrictive choices that are based not on evidence, but on hype.

Love this!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

Most of that sounds just as silly as some of the Paleo Diet claims. And no, fad diets are not all the same, even though they may share an adjective.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    edited April 2015
    Options
    OP, the one thing I've noticed on this site is that there are very few people that actually follow this very restrictive diet, though many say they do. If you check the food diaries of those who say they follow it, it's usually full of stuff not promoted by the diet (though most have closed diaries).

I'm not trying to sway you one way or the other, just pointing out that based on this site, it doesn't seem an easy diet to adhere to. Best of luck to you, whatever you choose.
  • Spartanxi
    Spartanxi Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Ketogenic dieter here!
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

Any diet that isn't based on actual science or histroy, and uses outlandish claims while being very restrictive is a fad diet in my opinion.