does tomato soup count as a vegetable?

Options
The brand I buy has no added salt and has 12g of dietary fiber.

Replies

• jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    Really?
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    LOL
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Sure, why wouldn't it?
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,668 Member
    Options
    Nope. Tomatoes are a fruit.
    HA! All you know-it-alls :lol:
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    BinkyBonk wrote: »

They are a botanically a fruit. By cooks and the US Supreme Court, they are a vegetable. By most dictionaries and gardeners, they are both fruit and vegetable.
    Options

They are a botanically a fruit. By cooks and the US Supreme Court, they are a vegetable. By most dictionaries and gardeners, they are both fruit and vegetable.
    I was trying to be funny.
    Sorry if it didn't come across that way.

• Kimberly_Harper
    Kimberly_Harper Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I just found out that olives are fruits too..ha! >:)
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    GretaGirl8 wrote: »
    The brand I buy has no added salt and has 12g of dietary fiber.

Yes. It is a vegetable even when it is pureed and in soup form... Or it might be still be a fruit even though it is pureed if you swing that way.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    I just found out that olives are fruits too..ha! >:)

So are squash.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

No worries. I had this discussion in another thread. Who knew the Supreme Court had ruled on such a thing!? :D
  • GretaGirl8
    GretaGirl8 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    thank you. i hope my question didn't come off as completely idiotic. i know that pureeing a vegetable/fruit doesn't nullify it as being part of its particular food group. i just didn't know if it was considered a "serving" of veg/fruit for nutritional purposes. Not sure if that makes sense. But i know that tomato juice is considered a serving...so why not tomato soup.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

I thought it was funny.

I knew that about the SC, but I believe the executive branch (Reagan) and Congress considers tomatoes a fruit, so we have a Constitutional crisis on our hands!

(Also trying to be funny.)
  • lemurcat12
    edited April 2015
    Options
    GretaGirl8 wrote: »
    i just didn't know if it was considered a "serving" of veg/fruit for nutritional purposes. Not sure if that makes sense. But i know that tomato juice is considered a serving...so why not tomato soup.

Sure. I'd say veggies in soup count. Whether they are a serving or not depends on the amount used, but I'd assume there'd be enough in tomato soup.

(I don't actually count servings, so never remember how much a serving is supposed to be--maybe a full tomato?)
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

I thought it was funny.

I knew that about the SC, but I believe the executive branch (Reagan) and Congress considers tomatoes a fruit, so we have a Constitutional crisis on our hands!

I seem to recall some discussion in the US about pizza being a vegetable because of the tomato sauce? Or am I mistaken?

• sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options

I thought it was funny.

I seem to recall some discussion in the US about pizza being a vegetable because of the tomato sauce? Or am I mistaken?

I think it was ketchup counting as a vegetable for children's school lunches.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

I thought it was funny.

It was a Congressional debate/decision on whether there was enough tomato sauce on pizza to constitute a serving. They voted yes. Which seems right because surely every piece of pizza has 1/2 cup of tomato sauce. :p
  • lemurcat12
    Options

I thought it was funny.

No, you are right. Don't know why I remembered it as ketchup and tomato sauce being fruits.

(It never was pizza as a vegetable, though, but that the sauce=1 vegetable serving.)

Anyway, better in my memory.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to use them in a fruit salad.

Serendipity is putting fruit in a vegetable salad. I put fresh mandarin slices in to my cabbage and buttercrunch salad this week, and, yum.