25lbs or Less to Lose

Options
rachelmarie07
rachelmarie07 Posts: 7 Member
edited March 2015 in Introduce Yourself
I'm 5'3" and somewhere between 148-152. My goal is to lose between 20 and 25lbs. MFP gave me 1250 calories to eat per day. (I sit at a desk for most of the day.) I do my best to eat the exact amount of calories and sometimes a little less based on how hungry I am. Realistically, I probably eat anywhere from 1150 - 1300 calories. It is very rare that I over eat calories. I walk about 2 miles 4 or 5 days a week with my dog. I was an athlete for most of my life and now have mild back issues and my dr. doesn't want me running.

I'm not really seeing a lot of weight loss.

Questions:
1.) Anybody have any suggestions?
2.) Anyone know some good low impact workouts?
3.) Anyone else in the same boat???

Replies

• maryann123115
    maryann123115 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    My story is pretty similar to yours, I'm going to send you a request :)
  • rachelmarie07
    Options
    Thanks! That's super helpful and encouraging :) As I'm sure you know, it can be soo frustrating!
  • CountessKitteh
    CountessKitteh Posts: 1,505 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3" and somewhere between 148-152. My goal is to lose between 20 and 25lbs. MFP gave me 1250 calories to eat per day. (I sit at a desk for most of the day.) I do my best to eat the exact amount of calories and sometimes a little less based on how hungry I am. Realistically, I probably eat anywhere from 1150 - 1300 calories. It is very rare that I over eat calories. I walk about 2 miles 4 or 5 days a week with my dog. I was an athlete for most of my life and now have mild back issues and my dr. doesn't want me running.

I'm not really seeing a lot of weight loss.

Questions:
    1.) Anybody have any suggestions?
    2.) Anyone know some good low impact workouts?
    3.) Anyone else in the same boat???

First, you're local-ish! Weee! (I'm in the Philly 'burbs)

Second, where did the 1250 come from? With under 25 pounds to lose, you shouldn't be trying to drop more than 1lb/week. The less you have to lose overall, the less you can lose each week. If you have your profile set for more than that, you should probably adjust it - eating more can actually help. I'm set for 1400, I eat ~50% of my exercise calories and I'm seeing weight loss, AND I'm a couple inches shorter and a few years older than you are.

I'd check with the doc about what kind of strength training you can do. It's not a high calorie burn, but it's still movement! Other than that, things like the elliptical/arc trainer/stair stepper are strong cardio exercise that isn't as tough on your back as running, since you keep your feet planted.
  • rachelmarie07
    Options
    Hi CouyntessKitteh - I JUST saw this post! I've been following the calorie bank that MFP gave me but I think you're right, I should be eating a little more. I have my account to automatically set for me, did you do your manually? I'm thinking I should try that.
  • CountessKitteh
    Options
    Hi CouyntessKitteh - I JUST saw this post! I've been following the calorie bank that MFP gave me but I think you're right, I should be eating a little more. I have my account to automatically set for me, did you do your manually? I'm thinking I should try that.

I adjusted my loss per week to 1lb (instead of 2, which requires me to netsomething like 700 calories - no thanks!), and MFP does the rest. Eating 1200/day put me at something like 1.4/lbs per week, and I'd rather slow down the weight loss to eat more normally.

I accepted your request, so my diary is now viewable to you. :)
  • CandiceMcD
    CandiceMcD Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I am 139 & want to get down to around 125 myself. 5'2" I have manually set mine at 1400 calories because 1200 was WAYYY too little for me. I have a desk job and sit on my butt all day, but try to get up and move as much as I can. I have been taking 2 mile walks, doing 30 minutes on the stepper or elliptical and doing some weights as well. I am trying to get into more of a routine so that I feel more organized about it.
  • rachelmarie07
    Options
    great, thank you!
  • rachelmarie07
    Options
    How did you get specific snacks like Morning Snack?
  • Suedexter
    Suedexter Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'm 5 ft 2.

Trying to get down to about 120. Now 133. Started at 141.5 six weeks ago

I eat around 1200 calories a day. Sometimes under, sometimes a little over.

Exercise is a bit sporadic - my next goal is to get into a routine - I also can't run due to an old knee injury. I can swim or use the bike though

Add me if you like
  • CountessKitteh
    Options
    How did you get specific snacks like Morning Snack?

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings

You can change your meal names, which macros show up, who can see your stuff, etc.
  • Zx14chick
    Zx14chick Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Started around 145 and now at 123-5. Would love to get to 118, but would be happy at 120. I'm 5' 3". My weight loss can definitely be attributed to tracking my calories here and of course, working out. I walk to work which is about 1.5 miles round trip and try to walk at lunch and ride my stationary bike in the winter. Strength training helps you to burn more calories when you AREN'T working out, which is the best kind of calorie burn, in my opinion!

*You can change your meal names by going to the "Food" tab then "Settings" under that heading. You can also change what macros you would like to track. Happy to help if you would like to add me!
  • fat2fitshley
    fat2fitshley Posts: 50 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I have a similar story too! I am 24 5' 1" and I flucuate between 132-134. I am trying to get down to 110-115. I have my diary set for 1200 calories, but I eat back calories my fitbit adjusts for so I average around 1400-1600 calories a day.

ETA: The elliptical is a little easier on the joints, especially the back. I can't run either as it kills my ankles and knees. I incorporate weight training into my workout too, I would recommend talking to your doctor before this thou and starting slow if you do it.
  • rachelmarie07
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement!! It's nice to hear other people's stories, struggles and advice :)