Is it terrible that I hate spelling mistakes?

Options
The most common one on here is people wanting to loose weight instead of lose

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Some of them are typos, some of them are legitimate misspellings, some of them are dyslexic or ESL posters who struggle with the language. The lose/loose mistakes have been brought up countless times. They will continue to happen and posts will be made many, many times by posters who can't accommodate those whose grasp of the English language is below theirs.

https://paintingthegreyarea.wordpress.com/2012/11/26/literacy-privilege/
  • natalie741s
    natalie741s Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    It's not only here, it's everywhere you look. My pet hate is incorrect grammar and punctuation. Try reading a book called "Eats Shoots and Leaves". It's hilarious!
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Some of them are typos, some of them are legitimate misspellings, some of them are dyslexic or ESL posters who struggle with the language. The lose/loose mistakes have been brought up countless times. They will continue to happen and posts will be made many, many times by posters who can't accommodate those whose grasp of the English language is below theirs.

https://paintingthegreyarea.wordpress.com/2012/11/26/literacy-privilege/

This. /thread
  • mygnsac
    mygnsac Posts: 13,413 Member
    Options
    There is no period at the end of your sentence. JK!! I just assume spelling mistakes aren't intentional and leave it at that. But, like the PP said, the "loose" vs. "lose" thing has been brought up a lot. It seems to bother a lot of people.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    It's not only here, it's everywhere you look. My pet hate is incorrect grammar and punctuation. Try reading a book called "Eats Shoots and Leaves". It's hilarious!

Event more hilarious, considering the OP.
  • MistyBlue9
    MistyBlue9 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    True Diannethegeek, I guess I shouldn't be so harsh.
  • Soopatt
    Soopatt Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I hate people who can't do advanced math or a triple back-flip. Why can't they just learn? See how that sounds? Going after people based on their spelling has always baffled me, unless you are sure you are brilliant at absolutely everything else that they might be good at.
  • jwsfzr600
    jwsfzr600 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I have dyslexia and my spelling is very bad and some people judge me on it. I was picked on in school because of it and punished at home. It was 2 years after high school. I opened my Second restaurant. A local college professor of special education asked me to speaker in his class. It was eye opening for some of his students. Intelligence can't always judged by spelling. Do me a favor and read up on this and the people how have it.
  • MistyBlue9
    Options
    I have dyslexia in my family so i dont really need to read up about it. I think we've established that yes it is terrible to hate spelling mistakes but i'm really not a horrible person and i admit i was wrong.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    I have a disability which causes me to become enraged by poor grammar or spelling. This thread has now triggered me. Consider yourselves warned. Haters.

This is fun!
  • MistyBlue9
    Options
    I was very drunk when I wrote this, big mistake.
  • Vixenmd1
    Vixenmd1 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Well then you will hate me. Despite being educated and intelligent I have a learning disability in spelling. It was clearly identified and diagnosed in 5th grade. It is a form of dyslexia. I was lucky that I had some teachers who where paying attention. My brain doesn't have the ability to sound out words or memorize them. I have dealt with people making HUGE assumptions about my intelligence, education, or deciding I was lazy my whole life. I am not alone.

I also know that while I can prove I was educated not every is, or they learned English later, or a host of other reasons including an LD like I have.

I am always amazed at how people justify attacking and belittling people for spelling and grammar mistakes. If you know what they were trying to say why do people feel the need to belittle someone for a mistake? You never know the reason why. If you don't understand what they are saying ask. If you do then move on since I am sure that you have some things that you are not that talented at.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,323 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Some people post the way they text in abbreviated forms. I gt the drft so 2 me thts all tht mttrs.
  • Feistychick68
    Feistychick68 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I type quickly on my phone and half the time it has its own mind what it actually says. I think it is anal to care about errors on an app. Sorry if I offended you but ppl are here to find support and encouragement not more criticism.
  • cat_lady77
    cat_lady77 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    It is annoying when it's people who should know better. I don't pay much attention to it here because it's obvious that there are many different types of people and I don't know their background. Some are not native English speakers, some are actually from England & they use words I've never even heard of lol. But if my boss does it, it drives me crazy. Or a fellow student in the same class.
  • mygnsac
    mygnsac Posts: 13,413 Member
    Options
    The OP already admitted she was being harsh, she was wrong, and she was drunk when posting.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    It's also important to note that we live in the age of autocorrect, and if you are typing quickly and do not proofread, you could very easily end up with a different word or an incorrect spelling. Especially if you are on a smart phone that predicts what you are going to type based on your commonly used words.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,578 Member
    Options
    Try as I might, I can't stop being annoyed seeing improper use of lose/loose, waist/waste, they're/their/there, etc. I only say something if someone is being unnecessarily snarky to someone else re: their English skills... and I have an opportunity to slam them on their grammar, spelling or punctuation.

I totally 2nd the recommendation of Eats, Shoots, & Leaves - great book!
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I find it amazing that the people who claim dyslexia are the ones with the perfectest spelling.

I think some spelling errors are due to laziness, but more and more are just made by people being "educated" from the Internet by others who can't spell, or don't bother to spell check; and because correcting errors is frowned upon, the problem will continue to escalate.

I hate spelling mistakes too :p