How does everyone get in the habit to log everything

Options
2»

Replies

• BicepsAndBows
    BicepsAndBows Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I log everything BEFORE I eat it. It works perfectly because then I never have an "excuse" for going over on calories since I can add it all up before it goes in my mouth, and since I always log before I eat, no logging=no eating lol.
  • rontafoya
    rontafoya Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Why go through the trouble and suffering of cutting out foods, lowering calories, and exercising if you do not have a plan, and you are not tracking your progress? How will you know what is working, and what is not? Said differently, tracking is less trouble than eliminating your favorite foods only to discover later (the hard way) that wasn't even the issue--how would you know unless you are tracking? For me, I discovered a diet high in saturated fat and low to moderate carbs is good for me, along with weightlifting instead of cardio. I discovered this by tracking and experimenting. I eat bacon, I lose weight--I eat grains, I gain. Gotta track what you are doing.
  • akdetweiler
    akdetweiler Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Take some time and get organized. Get all the foods that you like to eat regularly into your "My Foods" tab. Plus after about a week of regular logging, everything is right there, and it is so easy to just check things off and add them to your log. It literally takes me 10 seconds to add my breakfast each morning. Also, if you use a smartphone for logging, the scan option really makes inputting new foods easy. Its an obsession for me, but thats what I needed for success.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    If you really want to lose weight you'll put in the work it takes, including logging. If logging is so much of a hassle then you're probably not ready. I have the app on my phone - I always have my phone with me - no excuses to just open the app and log it. It does get easier with time too. In the beginning there will be a bit of a learning curve, but once you get in the groove it is easy peasy and takes just a moment to log your foods.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Nike says it best
    just-do-it-hed-2013.jpg
  • Kimberly_Harper
    Kimberly_Harper Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Its kind of like a game to me. I'm trying to hit all these numbers so plugging in what I eat and planning to eat the next meal in order to make the numbers work so at the end of the day I can see that I won! lol (sometimes I don't win)
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    You just get used to it, and if you're like me you tend to eat a lot of the same things, so once you've logged them, it's easy to log them again. I've logged on over 1000 consecutive days now. I have the odd day here and there that I don't log, but that's rare.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I bribe myself. For every 30 days I log, I get to go out to a steak dinner. Small steak at Roadhouse, but they're quite tasty and steak is actually a comfort food for me, so it feels like a reward when I do that and won't sabotage my day.
  • NH_1970
    NH_1970 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I log as I cook on days off from work or in the evenings, and I use a PC and an app to log foods. I use a measuring cups, or read the package on serving sizes and back those up with a measuring utensil, I bought an inexpensive digital scale to weigh things out, I also have a decent set of measuring spoons. With small things like grapes I count them out.

I sometimes check on here to see what a serving size/calories it has before having foods when I'm planning a meal.

Also once you get practice at it, you'll understand it more. Then if you figure out that it actually works and you lose your first 5 lbs you may start to enjoy that reward of losing weight because you logged everything and were dedicated to yourself.

Also you can see your trends/patterns with food & water, I log everything now even if I go over and also I log water intake because that helps me a lot. I notice when I have PMS I crave more carbs. I notice that when I don't drink water I don't lose weight as much.

I also make sure I log everything from my day before I go to sleep. I also sometimes put reminder notes in front of my computer or in a specific spot in my purse, so I know what to log if I get busy during the day, so I do it before I go to sleep.
  • DearestWinter
    DearestWinter Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I log before I eat, often as soon as I decide what I want to eat before I start preparing it. (Then I may adjust portion size later.) It's become a habit. If I tried to log at the end of the day then I would likely have trouble.
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I just started to log all my food first thing in the morning. It became habit after a few weeks. I think in the beginning I had a reminder set (that was on my old phone).
  • BigLifter10
    BigLifter10 Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »
    Nike says it best
    just-do-it-hed-2013.jpg

You read my mind. Nike knows. I just did it too...works for me.
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    Logging becomes a habit once you start... I prelog my day in the morning, and edit it during the day depending if I decide to eat something else for that meal. I log everything, even days that I go WAY OVER my daily calories. Next day, I keep going like normal. Start today even though you don't know the exact measurements of what you already ate... start the habit of logging your food.
    I am newish here. I joined a while ago but i just can not get in the habit of logging everything.
    Does anyone have any suggestions how to make this a habit?
    I really need to loose about 40lb and would like a good jump on it by summer.
    I am 5'7' 175 and I guess I should be eating 1200. but that does not matter I guess since I can't remember to log never had a problem remembering to eat@!!!!!!

BTW, why would you eat so little? 1200 seems like you would end up being hungry after a while.

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I agree at a 1 lb per week with a higher per day calorie goal.

I have the app and I bring the phone to the table with me. I don't care if it looks rude or uncouth. It's what I need.
  • NikiChicken
    NikiChicken Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    By just doing it. Just like mentioned above - it's like brushing your teeth. You just keep doing it over and over until it becomes habit. There are no other tricks.