How does everyone get in the habit to log everything

Options
I am newish here. I joined a while ago but i just can not get in the habit of logging everything.
Does anyone have any suggestions how to make this a habit?
I really need to loose about 40lb and would like a good jump on it by summer.
I am 5'7' 175 and I guess I should be eating 1200. but that does not matter I guess since I can't remember to log never had a problem remembering to eat@!!!!!!

Replies

• TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    I just viewed it as necessary - as in, not an option. Like brushing my teeth.
  • Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    Options
    You have to make it a habit. Try logging before you eat.
  • kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    Yep, kinda like brushing your teeth. Habits take 21-27 days to form. Just keep it up...
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    It can take a little effort - but make yourself get into the habit of thinking about your calories as a budget. Plan your meals rather than mindlessly eating. If you have a smart phone, that does make logging easier. If you have limited access to a computer (and no smart phone) then carry a small notebook, keep good notes, and update your 'log' at night or whenever is easiest for you to sit down and do it.

But ultimately its a matter of wanting it enough, and doing what you need to do.
  • FullofTrixie
    FullofTrixie Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    ok think I will start tomorrow. lol how many times have I said that.
    I have a friend that uses this site and she is on it all day. I would take a little of her obsession
  • Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    Options
    I have a friend that uses this site and she is on it all day. I would take a little of her obsession
    Start today!
  • cavia
    cavia Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I was tired of being 190lbs so I just did it. Now it's second nature.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    Tubbs216 wrote: »
    Start today!

+1
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    Every evening i take a couple minutes of time ( after dinner) to pre-plan the next day. Clockwork!
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    By doing it .. until it becomes a habit?
  • bluworld
    bluworld Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I log my day in the am while my teenies eat breakfast ( takes them a good half hour to eat a bowl of oatmeal). I edit as I eat lunch, supper, and before sleep.
  • erockem
    erockem Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Every time my browser opens, 3 tabs start. FB, MFP, and Fitbit. Just kinda always in my face.
  • animalldy
    animalldy Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Pre-log the night before and eat leftovers so you can copy meals. I also always eat the same breakfast so it makes things easy! I second @erockem and also always have MPF up at work so I can update as needed.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I just do..it takes maybe 15mins on a sunday to plan my week (as far as eating goes) and it helps me lose/maintain so why wouldn't I do it.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I don't know, I just do it.

Do you carry a phone with you? You could set reminder alarms.
  • joolsmd
    joolsmd Posts: 375 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Tubbs216 wrote: »
    Start today!
    Start now! :smiley:

Like exercise, it will soon become habit.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    I am newish here. I joined a while ago but i just can not get in the habit of logging everything.
    Does anyone have any suggestions how to make this a habit?
    I really need to loose about 40lb and would like a good jump on it by summer.
    I am 5'7' 175 and I guess I should be eating 1200. but that does not matter I guess since I can't remember to log never had a problem remembering to eat@!!!!!!

When I started here two years ago I just did it, because I figured that for myself counting calories and not keeping track of them made no sense.
    Until last week I did not log food for three weeks, because I had a heart attack on the 25th of March and was delivered food from the hospital, because I was too fatigued to cook for myself and really felt like I was not doing my job. Even though the hospital counted calories for me, now that I returned since Monday to cooking and logging I feel much better and normal.
    I usually pre-log in the morning and never felt like not wanting to do it, because I figure it is a commitment I made to change MY life and not anyone else's.
    Good Luck !

• lovematthewchristopher
    Options
    At the beginning, i just treated it like a game. I wasn't allowed to eat until i logged it on my computer. It also made me aware of the calories i was about to consume( this way you can change your mind before consuming). I find it easier to do it this way (because sometimes things have more calories than you originally thought, so you can revamp and change it up for something else, before it even touches your lips). Before long my daily game became habit, and i was logging on a few times a day. Started in November 2014 and i am already down 55 pounds. Good luck!
  • FullofTrixie
    Options
    Ok I will try to remember what I ate but I will not have weights of the foods that is why I said tomorrow. My friend told me to get a scale. Funny we are not friends on here I guess it is to personal. I will try to pre plan. I bring lunch to work so that should be easy and breakfast is a protein bar and coffee. maybe this will not be so hard if I get it in my mind that it just has to be done.
  • FullofTrixie
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    I don't know, I just do it.

Do you carry a phone with you? You could set reminder alarms.

I do have a phone I just downloaded the app. That will be a big help if I figure it out.