Metformin (Glucophage) to induce Ketosis

zeinmr
zeinmr Posts: 79 Member
I am following keto diet for a year now and it is great. The last month I decide to have a one day carb load as I understand it helps in gaining muscle. Obviousely after this day I am kicked out of ketosis and it takes me more than 3 days to return back to ketosis and during these 3 days I have to eat a lot of fat.... So I know that Metformin decrease neoglucogenesis and athletes use it as induction to ketosis. I read a lot about it and I need some feedback from the ones who used it ( dosage+ results+ side effects) Thank you

Replies

• htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    What doctor would prescribe this? It's a diabetes medication....
  • farfromthetree
    farfromthetree Posts: 982 Member
    Besides this^ That sounds like a lot of work and not sustainable. I am no expert in body building but from what I understand you need to have carbs and protein for gaining muscle. Carbs fuel your muscles for the workout and the protein repairs and builds muscle. Until someone can answer better than I can I will tell you every trainer at my gym talks about needing carbs as well as protein on a daily basis
  • zeinmr
    Besides this^ That sounds like a lot of work and not sustainable. I am no expert in body building but from what I understand you need to have carbs and protein for gaining muscle. Carbs fuel your muscles for the workout and the protein repairs and builds muscle. Until someone can answer better than I can I will tell you every trainer at my gym talks about needing carbs as well as protein on a daily basis

Carbs are not essential and our body is well designed to adapt on fat as source of energy. From muscle building view carbs are important since they lead to insulin peak which is an anabolic hormone (stimulate nutrient absorption into the muscles). I am training for the last 6 month without carb and it was perfect but I want to build more muscle at the same time avoid fat gain
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    htimpaired wrote: »

This. Where do you plan to get it, regardless of whether what you're describing is either safe or effective?
  • zeinmr
    BarbieAS wrote: »

This. Where do you plan to get it, regardless of whether what you're describing is either safe or effective?

Would you please reply with something relative to my subject!
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    edited April 2015
    zeinmr wrote: »

I'm sorry, just concerned for your health and the health of others who might read your post and think this is a good idea. Either you're going to go to a doctor willing to prescribe medicine that's not needed or you're going to obtain it illegally. MFP forum guidelines prohibit promoting "unsafe weight-loss techniquies," and while I understand that weight gain is your goal here, I certainly believe that this still falls under the intention of the rule. My reply is extremely relevant.
  • techgal128
    techgal128 Posts: 719 Member

It is relevant. Are you seriously expecting a doctor to prescribe you a medication for no reason? It can cause stomach issues if you aren't careful. I don't like being on it but I don't have a lot of choice.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Taking an oral hypoglycemic and exercising without any sort of medical supervision sounds dangerous to me. Remember that diabetics have their blood sugar monitored by a physician.

Metformin is quite safe but there are some very rare and possibly life threatening side effects. Lactic Acidosis is the big one.
  • techgal128
    techgal128 Posts: 719 Member
    ahamm002 wrote: »
    Taking an oral hypoglycemic and exercising without any sort of medical supervision sounds dangerous to me. Remember that diabetics have their blood sugar monitored by a physician.

Metformin is quite safe but there are some very rare and possibly life threatening side effects. Lactic Acidosis is the big one.

Listen to this guy. It's pretty clear from his profile picture he knows what he's doing. lol
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member

I am training for the last 6 month without carb and it was perfect but I want to build more muscle at the same time avoid fat gain

Carbs don't lead to fat gain. Building muscle requires gaining at least a little fat. The way to minimize this is with a smaller surplus.

• Fujiberry
    Fujiberry Posts: 400 Member
    JTick wrote: »

I am training for the last 6 month without carb and it was perfect but I want to build more muscle at the same time avoid fat gain

Carbs don't lead to fat gain. Building muscle requires gaining at least a little fat. The way to minimize this is with a smaller surplus.

^this.

You need carbs, period. Basically taking out an entire food group means that you're missing out on much needed nutrition. Taking out carbs when you don't need to is unnecessary. Carbs don't lead to fat gains. A high surplus of calories leads to a lot of fat gain no matter where those calories come from--and you'll always gain a bit of fat as you gain muscle. That's just how it works. The concept of building muscle is easy. Don't overcomplicate it.