New Vegan!

Hi everyone - I am new to vegan - and pretty food / nutrition savvy person as I am a student of natural health and medicine as well as managed a health food store for 3 years. I am following a strict alkaline diet on top of it (my friend who I shop and prepare food for has cancer and its easiest for me this way) SO I'm wondering - does anyone have any favorite recipes? I'm hitting a wall with my food combinations and need to breathe some new life into the kitchen! I found when I ate a lot of tofu which I do like - my face broke out horribly and I started my period over a week early because of the SOY! Would love some tips from some pro vegans - gotta keep it alkaline!

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    I am only an amateur vegan and am totally unfamiliar with the alkaline diet. What foods are you trying to avoid besides soy?

• organicgirl01
    organicgirl01 Posts: 6 Member
    Anything acidic - to keep the body's PH in balance. Cancer cannot exist in an alkaline environment - so I'm trying to keep my foods mostly average to high alkalinity. Lots of lists on line - you would be surprised at what foods are and are not acidic. A list I use sometimes is this one: http://www.energiseforlife.com/acid-alkaline-food-chart-1.1.pdf
  • janejellyroll
    Anything acidic - to keep the body's PH in balance. Cancer cannot exist in an alkaline environment - so I'm trying to keep my foods mostly average to high alkalinity. Lots of lists on line - you would be surprised at what foods are and are not acidic. A list I use sometimes is this one: http://www.energiseforlife.com/acid-alkaline-food-chart-1.1.pdf

Our body is excellent at maintaining homeostasis so I'm unsure of the premise of this thing. I just looked it up onlline and it says you should avoid grains. What about beans -- do you eat those?
  • organicgirl01
    Yes I eat lots of legumes / beans! I don't do grains - try to avoid gluten. And sugar. I use only stevia.
  • Edwardshar
    Edwardshar Posts: 271 Member
    I eat meat and a lot of it! I find that fun too! :)
  • janejellyroll
    I'm usually pretty good at brainstorming when it comes to food, but that's a pretty big list of restrictions. I kinda think I'm being put-on.

I'll just say "Good luck."
  • Justygirl77
    Justygirl77 Posts: 385 Member
    edited April 2015
    Hi everyone - I am new to vegan - and pretty food / nutrition savvy person as I am a student of natural health and medicine as well as managed a health food store for 3 years. I am following a strict alkaline diet on top of it (my friend who I shop and prepare food for has cancer and its easiest for me this way) SO I'm wondering - does anyone have any favorite recipes? I'm hitting a wall with my food combinations and need to breathe some new life into the kitchen! I found when I ate a lot of tofu which I do like - my face broke out horribly and I started my period over a week early because of the SOY! Would love some tips from some pro vegans - gotta keep it alkaline!
    I'm not vegan, but I eat more veggies than a vegetarian, I've noticed! lol
    But I could easily be one...I don't eat dairy or even grains, and for the time being, no fruit either. I'm really enjoying this type of eating! Ive been doing it for a month and have lost almost 12 lbs, 2 inches off waist, 2 off hips, and almost 2% bodyfat. I don't measure alkalinity, but I am under the care of an NP, am measuring things like blood sugar and metabolic hormones (there's 7 of them....the sex hormones). I could measure urine alkalinity, but haven't found the strips? Anyway this has been a very productive effort for me, I feel really good and am a much healthier and stronger person than I was a month ago.
    If you check out my diary, you'll see I eat lots of greens, nuts, beans/legumes, vegan grain-free protein mix, and I do eat fish/seafood/organic chicken/grassfed beef. But no dairy, and I'm not in the mood for eggs right now, either. I couldn't be happier!
    I usually eat about 1600 cals, over 100g of protein, and very low net carbs for now. High fat, high fiber.

• MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    It's not a specific recipe, but I often do a quinoa bowl for lunch, where I just take whatever veggies and protein I have, sauté or oven roast it (depending on my calorie goal), and put it on top.

Today I had tricolor quinoa with sweet potato, broccolini, trader joe 8 veggie mix, carrots, tempeh and pumpkin seeds, sautéed in olive oil. You could easily use chickpeas, black beans, or whatever you have on hand for the protein.

Calories vary a lot with cooking method and protein choices. Today was a high calorie bowl at about 950, but it can be as low as 450-500 without the oil, seeds, and starchy veg.

If I need something low cal I make chili with black beans, soy crumbles (I'm sure you can omit this and it will be just as good), crushed tomatoes, tri-color bell peppers and onion. I use no oil or salt, and just season with chili powder (which does have sodium, but not a crazy amount; you could do cumin and cayenne instead if you wanted salt-free) and cinnamon. It comes out under 200 calories a bowl.

I stay 100% vegan, but otherwise I'm pretty flexible. Its possible to be super strict and "perfect" with tor eating habits, but if it starts to feel like a drag, I definitely recommend easing up a bit. I eat chocolate or fast food (veggie grill, chipotle) when I want to, then go back to my planned menu with no guilt. Do what's best for your physical AND mental health.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member

That seems like a pretty strong claim. And I don't see any sources for that in your post or link. What I do see however is a whole page of advertising for the supplements your source sells to "aid you".
  • Zaftique
    Zaftique Posts: 599 Member
    edited April 2015
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2897613/Alkaline-diet-Detox-fans-claim-avoiding-acid-food-slows-ageing-experts-say-dangerously-wrong.html

[T]here is no credible scientific evidence to support the alkaline theory generally.

It’s not diet that controls our pH but a complex system involving the kidneys and the lungs (and our carbon dioxide levels).

Indeed, research published in reputable scientific journals is frankly dismissive of the alkaline approach. Tanis Fenton, a professor of nutrition at the University of Calgary, has published several studies of the diet.

‘The body’s pH is not influenced by diet,’ she said in the Journal of the American College of Nutritionists in 2011. 'The modern diet does not make the body acidic.’

Her work has also shown that dairy products in particular have no effect on the body’s overall pH balance, and that consuming dairy foods does not contribute to people developing osteoporosis, as Dr Young has suggested.

[...]

In fact, sticking rigorously to an alkaline diet may actually backfire on your health.
    Last November, a court in California ordered [Dr Young] to face six criminal charges, including practising medicine without a licence and ‘grand theft by fraud’.

He is accused of promising a cure to people dying of cancer and charging thousands of dollars for treatments at his ‘pH Miracle Center’ clinic in California. The court case is still proceeding, and Young strongly denies all charges.

Dashing between meetings to leave this here. Can citation properly later if anyone is that surprised.
  • organicgirl01
    I'm following the alkaline diet (of which I have done extensive research on, I have seen both of our alkaline levels increase dramatically) in support of my friend that I shop and prepare meals for who has stage 4 cancer. Its something we are trying. Its temporary for me. I don't follow fads I am into natural health and nutrition... I don't support the Federal Death Administration either... that being said I just wanted some recipe advise from some friendly vegan peeps so thank you for the ideas!
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    I'm following the alkaline diet (of which I have done extensive research on,

Do some more...

So much woo...so little time.
  • JoReddBowe
    JoReddBowe Posts: 25 Member
    edited April 2015
    Have gone vegan a couple times. Last time I discovered SnapPea Crisps for snacks (I bought them at Safeway). So good! I also favored nut butters. I have a great recipe for vegan "cookie dough" for snacking, not baking, made mostly from blended garbanzo beans! I also had grilled cabbage last night.

I'm sorry, I'm unfamiliar with the pH of most foods.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    The climax of a fad diet is when it finally makes it's way to QuackWatch....lol.
    http://www.quackwatch.org/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/DSH/coral2.html

Damn science....
  • organicgirl01
    Sigh... I guess this is why I never join in online discussions - I forgot how many people out there love to hear the sounds of their own ignorant little fingers typing unwarranted advise and snide comments. Thank you to those who just shared a little friendly advise and recipe info - much appreciated. The others - enjoy your miserable existence. I have never felt better. Out! Cheers! o:)
  • DirrtyH
    DirrtyH Posts: 664 Member
    Sigh... I guess this is why I never join in online discussions - I forgot how many people out there love to hear the sounds of their own ignorant little fingers typing unwarranted advise and snide comments. Thank you to those who just shared a little friendly advise and recipe info - much appreciated. The others - enjoy your miserable existence. I have never felt better. Out! Cheers! o:)

I'm sure there are plenty of recipes in the Recipe forum that might be helpful to you. Good luck.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    I'd be thankful if I got told that the diet I'm doing is by a quack who just wants my money and that it's potentially harmful.
    People are weird.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    I'd be thankful if I got told that the diet I'm doing is by a quack who just wants my money and that it's potentially harmful.
    People are weird.

That's what I don't get. Sometimes the tact isn't the best but if someone is wasting time doing something that has been debunked, why would you get offended about it? It never has made much sense. I guess that's the difference between wanting to learn and thinking you are always right? I dunno.
  • alltheweigh170
    alltheweigh170 Posts: 287 Member
    There is a group here called Happy Herbivores. Please try asking for help there.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/45-happy-herbivores
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,422 MFP Moderator
    Everyone please remember

3f55e1985c27b8e75c440b2c59b81ab8e8c4a084dcf1d14534b96b0d2803cd82.jpg

I have no issue if you want to debate science, but if you keep up the nonsense, I will bring out my

giphy.gif