Increasing Running Distance

Options
2»

Replies

• scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    If you train your body to run at the low heartrate you will over time be able to run faster at a low heartrate. If you are running a 9 minute mile right now at 80% you can train yourself to run that same 9 minute mile at 65 or 70%. At that point, what seems hard now will feel effortless then. Also, you will be able to run much faster and longer at 80%. It is guaranteed to work but will take several months to develop the systems if you have never done it before. In running lingo it is called building your base.

So, to answer this question:
    I eat healthy and enough to keep energy levels up. I'm wondering if it's my technique, my body build, or something else that is making my running difficult.
    It is your lack of aerobic development that is holding you back.
  • Veele_
    Veele_ Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    A mixture of speed sessions with intervals and slower longer runs will both help build up your endurance. The fast intervals will make your normal runs feel more comfortable, whilst slowing down whilst building up your mileage will help build up your stamina/endurance. Don't increase your weekly mileage by more than 10%. You can choose to split this 10% between your runs throughout the week, or add it all on your long run, but don't increase too much too soon. If you've got a garmin or an HRM set a target zone to remind you not to go too fast. Treat your long run as an easy run/jog. Once you've managed a longer distance, you can start working on improving your speed again.
  • live4turns
    live4turns Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    If you train your body to run at the low heartrate you will over time be able to run faster at a low heartrate. If you are running a 9 minute mile right now at 80% you can train yourself to run that same 9 minute mile at 65 or 70%. At that point, what seems hard now will feel effortless then. Also, you will be able to run much faster and longer at 80%. It is guaranteed to work but will take several months to develop the systems if you have never done it before. In running lingo it is called building your base.

So, to answer this question:
    I eat healthy and enough to keep energy levels up. I'm wondering if it's my technique, my body build, or something else that is making my running difficult.
    It is your lack of aerobic development that is holding you back.

This makes lots of sense to me...this is my new plan now! thanks scott!
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    Also, the number 1 determinant of your running fitness is running lots of miles each week. By running at a slower pace now you can start building towards lots of miles.

If you want to run a fast 5k you need to be running five or more times a week and putting in 30 or more miles in the week.

If you want to do that just build towards it slowly so your body adapts each step of the way and you don't sideline training with an injury.

Also remember that your running will continue to improve for around ten years if you maintain consistency in training. So, the mountain you can climb is very high but the only way to get to the top is a little at a time.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    Do you take water with you when you run? I couldn't break 6k until I started taking a water bottle with me. With electrolytes in, even better.

Other than that all I can recommend is just doing it. Set yourself a circular route that is 7km. Then you can't turn back. Once you have done it once you know you can.
  • ashley_jorah
    ashley_jorah Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I have an 8 week run-further program. And I have an 13 week run-faster program.

The run further program tells you how far in run in a certain amount of time.

It's by the same group that did the sun-run training program. (which I think is similar to the couch to 10K??)

Let me know if you're interested in it!