Last 5 Pounds for Distance Runner

Options
I need (want) to lose 5/7 pounds before next fall's race season. I just PR'd my half marathon time at the end of this race season. I will be training for a half on pavement, one on trail and a full marathon in the fall. I'm at a healthy weight but def have a few last pounds on the belly and thighs that can go and I think it will help me improve my time to drop the weight. I am already working out a lot and not sure I can up it much more. I run 20-30 miles per week (some trail, slow distance, tempo, sprints) I keep it varied. I spin once a week for an off day. I lift twice a week (upper body/lower body) and then usually have one additional strength workout that is either circuit/HIIT or plyometrics. Yoga once a week to undo damage. Summer is almost here and I will be in the pool as well. I would love any advice on what I can change up routine during my off season to help drop some weight. I know I can use input on my food diary as well. Especially this week. I let loose a bit after my last race. I will be cutting some of the rice and bread that Ive been eating the past month because my mileage was up and I was fueling for my races as well. You will see a lot of rice in my diary because I live in Japan. So if you have time to read my diary and be mean go for it!

Replies

• lesnla
    lesnla Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    How awesome!! I am a long distance trail runner and feel your pain. Given how many carbs are needed for training, it's really difficult to figure out how to cut them down just enough to lose the last five! I also am *starved* after long runs, and I was running 35-50 miles a week and still couldn't lose the 5-7, I think bc the more I run the hungrier I am!

I am sorry I can't tell you how to do it- I didn't figure it out, and now I am recovering from surgery for a torn ACL and not only missed this year's race season, I'm going to be starting everything from scratch PLUS trying not to gain more weight in the process (plus what I have gained already from being immobile now for 2 months!). What I have noticed though from my super athletic friends is that those who have the least subcutaneous fat really stay away from any excess fat in their diet - they don't eat mayonnaise or very much dairy, etc. that to me is equal to death/misery/jail, but I am considering doing it! I wish you the best!
  • MamaMollyT
    MamaMollyT Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I have a few more pounds to lose. I'm not skinny. I'd say I'm at the high end of my healthy range. I'm 140 and 5'5" and getting closer to 40 yrs old each year so the extra pounds hurt my knees. When I was lighter I felt better running and generally runners perform better after dropping extra weight. Before kids I always say at 125-130 and was what I thought was a healthy weight. I have lost weight down to 140 but can't seem to break past it. I'm not talking going anorexia here, just dropping those vanity pounds that will likely help my speed as well. I'm working hard all the time but no longer losing so I'm looking for input from others because obviously I'm in a rut and need another perspective or some tough love. I PR'd but I want to smash that PR.
  • MamaMollyT
    Options
    lesnla wrote: »
    What I have noticed though from my super athletic friends is that those who have the least subcutaneous fat really stay away from any excess fat in their diet - they don't eat mayonnaise or very much dairy, etc. that to me is equal to death/misery/jail, but I am considering doing it! I wish you the best!

I do have perhaps too much fat in my diet. I love me some eggs and avocados. I'm pretty light on the dairy. Just some yogurt here and there. Milk is expensive in Japan!
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    Just curious - where did "I love me some" come from? I cringed every time I heard "My bad!" (which finally seemed to go away) and now cringe at "I love me some". Hopefully it will disappear from the English language soon. In answer to your question, I agree that you should not lose weight before a half-marathon. You will need your strength.
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    MamaMollyT wrote: »
    lesnla wrote: »
    What I have noticed though from my super athletic friends is that those who have the least subcutaneous fat really stay away from any excess fat in their diet - they don't eat mayonnaise or very much dairy, etc. that to me is equal to death/misery/jail, but I am considering doing it! I wish you the best!

I do have perhaps too much fat in my diet. I love me some eggs and avocados. I'm pretty light on the dairy. Just some yogurt here and there. Milk is expensive in Japan!

Eating fat doesn't make you fat.
  • MamaMollyT
    Options
    Just to clarify I'm looking for constructive advice pertaining to losing weight during my off season. I'm looking for specific advice from other very active people who have found the balance in their training and diet to both lose the last few pounds and maintain performance. What can I change? I know the basics of nutrition. I know fat doesn't make me fat. I am Looking for advice from endurance athletes based on what I have been currently eating and doing and what changes I can make to drop some weight. And yes, it will help my performance based on my current weight and my past experience.
  • Lorraine128
    Lorraine128 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Have a look at the book 'Racing Weight' by Matt Fitzgerald. It's about £5 or £6 on Kindle version. I'm currently reading it and am finding it very interesting. Essentially it's about a method of healthy eating that most pro endurance athletes adopt. Eating to support your training needs linked to periodisation of training. Full of good sensible advice, no fad diets etc.

Basically the Pro endurance athletes aren't at 'racing weight' all year round. They focus on dropping any excess pounds during their early season training and try not to attempt weight loss once they in full pre-race period as it has been found performance suffers. They ease back food wise in off season to give the body a break and allow for a short period of more relaxed food choices.

Worth a read. Good luck
  • MamaMollyT
    Options
    I was just looking at that book and wondering if it was worth a read. Thanks!
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    I think the biggest thing is patience. Starting in February, I had about 7 lbs to lose to get to my goal weight (fingers crossed I get it by fall!). While training for a spring marathon, I've lost about 2 lbs. I have my cals custom set to 1480, which is about 50-100 more than MFP allots me with its formula. You'll have to set your calories for .5 lbs/week, but you should be able to ditch those last 5 lbs by the end of the summer with some diligent tracking; it is hard to net so few calories sometimes, but when marathon training and putting in a lot of weekly mileage, you get to eat back those exercise calories, so it doesn't feel as torturous :)
  • snowflakesav
    snowflakesav Posts: 647 Member
    Options

Matt is one of the best running nerds out there. Great place to start.
  • SBRRepeat
    SBRRepeat Posts: 384 Member
    Options

Matt is one of the best running nerds out there. Great place to start.

I'll go ahead and third this suggestion. Matt Fitzgerald knows what's up.

I'm still 15ish pounds above my racing weight, but I've just come to terms with the fact that I'll be racing at approximately this weight this season and will need to focus on cutting more in the off season.
    Trying to eat too far below TDEE when training 14 hours a week is a formula for misery. I end up skipping workouts and being generally grumpy. I have been doing about 10% below TDEE all spring and dropped about 8-9 lbs doing so. I don't think I'd attempt a bigger cut than that while racing.

i4botemanpyk.jpg