What food has shocked you?

Options
Ok only started actually weighing and counting exact calories yesterday and loving it so far. Knowing exactly what is in what and how much you put in your body is a real insight

However I have been taken a back by some of the actual calorie/fat content in such little food.
I measured 30g of fruit/nut mix = 160kcal 11.43g fat.

This was to add into some natural yoghurt for dessert. I knew nuts are high in calories but this much! Jeez

What foods have really surprised you with the content/weight ratio?

Replies

• lunamare
    lunamare Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I bought some whole wheat pitas the other day and when I checked the back they're something like 150 cal for HALF the pita. Yikes!
  • Peep_chic
    Peep_chic Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Restaurant salads. I saw one in Red robin that was 1,400 calories.
  • smketchum
    smketchum Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Tortillas. I knew they were on the high side, but I had no idea just how bad they were. Now if I am craving a burrito I get it in a bowl without the tortilla. It just is not worth it.
  • kitkat1781
    kitkat1781 Posts: 72
    Options
    BY FAR my biggest shock when I started counting was the salad from Olive Garden. WARNING...do not read on if you love OG....one serving (which we all know is much less than what we actually eat there) has 350 calories!!!!
  • HJayBee
    HJayBee Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    - Borden chocolate milk
    - Grapefruit ... as I was always told it was one of those like anti-calorie foods
    - ALL liquors/beers shockingly high calorie count
  • Sasha_Bear
    Sasha_Bear Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Salad dressing 140 calories for 2tbs of Ranch! Really?
  • ltaylore
    ltaylore Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Restaurant appetizers. Pretty much every appetizer at any given restaurant chain is loaded with calories. Try asking for their nutritional guide before ordering. A lot of chains have them:-)
  • timeforme23
    timeforme23 Posts: 461
    Options
    I had no clue milk had so much sugar.
    Oh and lose lean cuisines I love were probably adding to the problem with all that sodium!
    Oh and just plain sodium lol. Everything has freakin sodium!
  • ltaylore
    ltaylore Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Also, when you consider that vegetables are pretty low in calories, corn is surprisingly high for a vegetable.
  • Sasha_Bear
    Options
    BY FAR my biggest shock when I started counting was the salad from Olive Garden. WARNING...do not read on if you love OG....one serving (which we all know is much less than what we actually eat there) has 350 calories!!!!

Actually it's only 201 calories for one salad whatever they consider 1 salad to be?
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Fruit juice - the sugar content in a glass of orange juice is a full days allowance!
  • hairy_bob
    hairy_bob Posts: 19
    Options
    for me it was pickle, as in a cheese and pickle sandwich type pickle.....that stuff is sooo loaded with sugar its rediculous!
  • Sasha_Bear
    Options
    Oh and Hot sauce 460mg of sodium in 1 Tbsp !! SMH
  • JenniCH
    JenniCH Posts: 74
    Options
    I've had MANY surprises over the last year - very eye-opening... my most recent one was PICKLES... they are 0 calorie but have 200g of sodium or MORE (depending on the size - and I'm talking about the small ones here)... I was getting ready to eat like 10 the other day because they seemed like a good crunchy snack but I double-checked the sodium and my eyes almost fell out of my head... I should have known that a 0 calorie snack was too good to be true... definitely not worth it since I have worked hard to keep my daily sodium intake at 1,500-1,800 g.
  • lipglossjunky73
    lipglossjunky73 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    My daily soy chai latte from Starbucks is 290 calories. I kind of figured it wasn't low cal. I'm still having it though. I have so few thrills in my life. Let me have this one!
  • fitnessjch
    fitnessjch Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Mainly drinks - coke, sprite, hot chocolate!
  • PoppyinBoulder
    Options
    Tortillas were a surprise to me too - and I eat the bowls (at Chipotles) when I go - you really don't need the tortilla.

Pickles - you all crack me up - it's obvious you've never made pickles, lol. All pickled products are high in salt - that's the biggest part of the pickling process.
  • rlysrh
    rlysrh Posts: 244
    Options
    Just sandwiches in shops in general are pretty high calories unless you look specifically at the low fat/calorie ones. Like at tesco most of the sandwiches are like 500 calories which is the amount I allocate myself for the whole day excluding dinner. Also I saw a cheese salad in tesco that was like 660 calories. Who in their right mind would buy a salad that was 660 calories?!
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    I had no clue milk had so much sugar.

That's what lactose is, sugar. My surprise was trail mix.
  • notoriousgtt
    notoriousgtt Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Wraps, I almost had a heart attack when i saw the calorie count on a Multi Seed wrap!