Is it terrible that I hate spelling mistakes?

Options
2»

Replies

• walkonfire5
    walkonfire5 Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    Maybe some people, are dyslexic
  • jbailey3210
    jbailey3210 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Vixenmd1 wrote: »
    Well then you will hate me. Despite being educated and intelligent I have a learning disability in spelling. It was clearly identified and diagnosed in 5th grade. It is a form of dyslexia. I was lucky that I had some teachers who where paying attention. My brain doesn't have the ability to sound out words or memorize them. I have dealt with people making HUGE assumptions about my intelligence, education, or deciding I was lazy my whole life. I am not alone.

I also know that while I can prove I was educated not every is, or they learned English later, or a host of other reasons including an LD like I have.

I am always amazed at how people justify attacking and belittling people for spelling and grammar mistakes. If you know what they were trying to say why do people feel the need to belittle someone for a mistake? You never know the reason why. If you don't understand what they are saying ask. If you do then move on since I am sure that you have some things that you are not that talented at.

• melissaw78
    melissaw78 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    What I hate the most....when I was working as a Teaching Assistant I was told by administration that I "had no right" to correct high school students' spelling or grammar, because I wasn't working in an English class.

Like any of them were too dumb to learn.
  • adamgoleafs87
    adamgoleafs87 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    MistyBlue9 wrote: »
    The most common one on here is people wanting to loose weight instead of lose

I hate when people forget to use a period.
  • ronronronj
    ronronronj Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Admittedly, I am a compulsive editor. If only I could parley that into weight loss . . . ;)

BUT SERIOUSLY, some of it may come from using smart phones, poor speech recognition software, etc. It's one thing when I read scientific papers, but on internet discussion boards I have learned to let it go (unless it is a really funny mistake). I make typos also.
  • Marcia661
    Marcia661 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Bad spellers of the world untie!!!!!
  • alida1walsh
    alida1walsh Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    It's not just people with learning disabilities or ESL who struggle with spelling and grammar.

Back in the 70s, designers of the English curriculum decided that children could learn through immersion as opposed to being taught the rules of grammar specifically. It didn't work! Some people have a natural affinity for spelling and grammar while the rest of us struggle.

Now the powers that be have incorporated grammar back into the curriculum because they admit immersion was a failed experiment. Unfortunately, we now have teachers, whose education failed them, trying to educate today's children.

I'm studying education at uni but wouldn't know a split infinitive from an adverb. I have to educate myself in order to fill this gap. And it's not easy (hmm ... am I even allowed to start a sentence with a conjunction??? Help!!).

Yes, incorrect spelling and grammar annoy me but only because it's a reflection of this failure in our education system.
  • Ken1882
    Ken1882 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Or maybe loose weight is that stuff jiggling off of my *kitten*!!!
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    It does bother me that it seems that its actually more often spelled loose instead of lose. These threads don't bother me though, if even one person reads it and goes "oh wow, I've been spelling that wrong" then success, without them having to be specifically targeted or mocked for it.
  • jwsfzr600
    jwsfzr600 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    The lesson here is its okay to get drunk and post.
  • MistyBlue9
    MistyBlue9 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Lol i don't think i'll ever post anything again!