5th day and already discouraged..

Options
I have 120 pounds to lose and I am so embarrassed to say that I am already discouraged and it's my 5th day!I feel like all I do is think about food and I so badly want to get healthy and reach my goal weight. How did you deal with food cravings, mind set etc when you first started?? Thanks :)

Replies

• jenncornelsen
    jenncornelsen Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    starting is hard. u will need to really focus. it takes three weeks to create a habit. remind yourself all the time why u are doing this. try and stick with foods that leave u satisfied. plan your meals. u can do it just keep going! i promise it gets easier
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you're not ready to do this. Don't beat yourself up, go live your life, when you're ready, you'll know.

Good luck!

:drinker:
  • BrownEyedSister
    BrownEyedSister Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Hava,

I am trained in EFT which is an energy therapy. It has some cool techniques to help with cravings. If you're interested let me know and I can provide you some tips.

BrownEyes
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    Give yourself some slack. This is all about behaviour change. And that's hard! Behavior is all in our head. Cravings, guilt, obsession... Those are all brain Things! Brains are creatures of habit and they like the familiar. Accept that you're doing something unfamiliar for your brain. It's going to take awhile for it to adjust. Love yourself, keep blogging, and don't give up!
  • Lindy901
    Lindy901 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I've been on and off again due to many stressors in my life. However when I started this my mindset was not on how much weight there is to lose but just trying to eat healthier and learning as much as I can about portion sizes. Don't focus so much on the scale and it is just day to day. If you have a bad day, roll on to the next. One day isn't a killer when it comes to eating healthier.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Start off simply.

Just begin with logging your food everyday and try to stay around your calorie goal.

It's okay to think about food. If it helps, try pre-logging your day. When I first began, I did this and then I'd look at my log and see all of the foods I could look forward to. It was actually pretty fun for me.
  • Bronty3
    Bronty3 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    It gets easier. I used to feel like counting calories made me hungrier than when I wasn't but I found a groove. I found a good amount of foods that I love that fit well into my diet. I also sometimes pre enter my food the night before and eat that the next day. That way I'm not thinking about it I just grab what I planned and eat and move on with my day like I'm not counting. Besides that, I think small goals are good. I've been more successful this go around with MFP because I accidently bought a bridesmaid dress I couldn't return a size too small. I couldn've gotten it altered but I liked the challenge of seeing if I could do it. I decided to give it a couple of months and have enough time to let it out if I really had to so maybe find your motivator. Also, I find when I'm busy and distracted I don't think about eating at all. So, maybe find hobbies or things to do that help you forget you're on a diet. You can do it.! The first couple of weeks are always the hardest. But it gets easier once you keep seeing the scale going down.
  • scorpiophoenix
    scorpiophoenix Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Knowing is half the battle. It is rough starting out. For those days when I felt like I just HAD to have something in my mouth I kept a ton of carrots in the fridge. Also, if you have the willpower, mini chocolate bars don't have a superton of calories. One to satisfy the craving. If you don't think you can do just one then maybe raisins? Just give it time. Once you get into the swing of things it gets much easier. Also, just starting out, don't stress too much if you go over a bit. It takes time to develop new habits. Keep your goal set at your weight loss, but also check what maintenance is for you as a secondary goal for off days. One foot in front of the other, one day at a time, all that good stuff. Good luck! You can do it! :smiley:
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    My standard suggestion/tip is to do some reading and always use a scale to weigh your food!!!
    Considering your struggles my first reading suggestion is to visit this link about building Habits. This is a multipart blog - Read all of them!!!
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/ihad/view/the-power-of-habit-part-1-why-habits-matter-688130

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1234699/logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide/p1

I can't remember who said it but I Quote: " I log everything, good, bad or ugly, every day. The thing to remember is, your body logs all the food you eat, whether you choose to put it in your diary or not. So there is no reason not to log it. Your food diary is a tool to help you keep track of what you are eating, with an aim toward achieving your goal ( a calorie deficit if trying to lose weight vs. maintain or gain). The only way that this tool is useful is if you record everything you eat as completely and accurately as you possibly can.
    The trick is to start...and then to continue."

Visit the Eat-Train-Progress group and read the pinned topics. If you click on the little STAR in the top right you can bookmark the topic for future reference.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/10118-eat-train-progress

Read the information at these MFP post. They have links to multiple very good reads.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/833026/important-posts-to-read/p1

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/categories/getting-started

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1069278/acronyms-and-terms-for-new-mfp-members-v-6/p1

http://blog.myfitnesspal.com/the-next-step/

Some of these links will show up in the other Groups and discussions.
    There are lots of other good groups and discussions with really good information and some with a more Social aspect.
  • navi_silva
    navi_silva Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    starting is hard. u will need to really focus. it takes three weeks to create a habit. remind yourself all the time why u are doing this. try and stick with foods that leave u satisfied. plan your meals. u can do it just keep going! i promise it gets easier
    I completely agree. I'm in the same bandwagon as you are when it comes to cravings. I'm by no means an expert in nutrition or anything but I do have a few tips that have helped me a lot so far in my journey. First is WATER! Many times when we're "hungry" it's because we're not properly hydrated and our minds are mistaking this for hunger. Second, is gum. This works for me personally, it might help you. It satisfies my sweet tooth with little calorie intake and gives a feeling of actually eating. Third, remember that losing weight is not about changing your diet completely overnight. It's a gradual process to smaller portions and healthier alternatives (I've had to learn this the hard way). If you do a radical change you may very well rebound and lose your progress. All of this being said, it's all about going about your health and cravings in a comfortable and natural way and always keeping in mind what you're striving for. Maintaining a workout regiment is not easy. Especially at the beginning (take it from a guy who's started half a dozen times lol) the hardest day will be your first day. Same goes with the month in general, but afterward you learn to take it all a day at a time and it will be much less difficult. Best of luck!!
  • scookbey
    scookbey Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Starting is always difficult because it feels like you are starving but you're not. Eat foods that you enjoy but just in moderation. Eat foods that are rich in fiber and protein to keep you full. You can eat your ice cream, brownies and chips but control the serving. You will be so happy and feel so victorious when you start losing! Keep going! The weather is warming, the birds are chirping and summer clothing is near!
  • FitOldMomma
    FitOldMomma Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    You have to be ready for lifelong changes. Perhaps you're not quite ready to make the whole commitment yet.
    It really is about making new habits, and these take about three to four weeks to feel normal.
    Is there one bad habit you can work on eliminating? Or, think of one good habit you can adopt; something simple like drinking more water each day.
    I put quite a lot of thought and research into how to be successful at losing weight and keeping it off well before I started this. I played around on the goals settings to see how many calories I could eat for specific weight loss per week and how exercising would allow more food each day.
    The best thing I did at the beginning was to commit to log every single bite of food I ate. This makes you mindful, and you'll learn to make better choices.
    I still have days (today!) when I just want to stuff my face with a big cheeseburger and fries, but I know now that those are temporary cravings.
    When you're really ready to make the change to a healthier life, you'll do it. Don't be discouraged by doubts, just figure out how to fix them. Good luck. :)
  • NH_1970
    NH_1970 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    If all you think about is food, then eat healthy food. Understand from the very start it easier to manage your expectations and commit to making small, piece by piece improvements, rather than pressuring yourself into thinking that you have to do it all at once.
    Food cravings I crave fatty foods, have for a very long time. So I keep ice cream out of my home. I replaced it with healthier fats and foods like nuts & avocado and I stick to the recommended guided amount. So I guess figuring out what you have for food cravings? some people crave crunch - so avoid the chips and reach for the celery and unsalted nuts, air popped popcorn, etc. Some people like sweet - gravitate towards fruit or roasted veg's instead?
    The mind set, it used to be emotional or bored eating, I rewarded my good and bad days with food, but food isn't a reward it's sustenance for our bodies to live, so I try to remember that now.
    It took time for me to get where my mind is like holy crap woman, your clothes are getting too tight and you woke up feeling like absolute crap after one day after raking the lawn this spring -what is going on? Literally it took me doing tai chi, stretching and going for a one mile walk over the course of six hours for my body to feel like someone hadn't ridden over all of my joints and beaten up my muscles with a cement flattener, and then I prayed and said God help me because my whole life you know what struggles I have had, I am giving it over to you, please help me with this because it's only getting worse and I can't die like this. Please help me with food. I think that is called hitting bottom. Seriously when misery becomes the norm for my life, and it had, then something had to change within me.
    If you don't believe in God then you can toss it up to the deity of your choice. If you're an atheist or agnostic then find what your inspiration is within yourself and focus on that to help you out.
    Also I wrote very honestly on why I wanted to lose weight in a letter to myself which I keep in a visible place and I have a pic of me right where I can see it at my heaviest weight. I write to myself weekly on why I want to lose weight, sometimes those repeat themselves, but that's okay.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I think about food all the time. But I make it fun, for the most part. I enjoy pre-logging, and if there's something I really want for dessert, I log it first and work my day around it. A lot of times it's like a puzzle and I love seeing what I can eat to fit my calorie needs and macros. The other day I got to add dark chocolate to help me meet my fats goal.

Relax! Eat the things you like. Weigh them on a food scale to be sure of the calories.
  • Havasufalls
    Havasufalls Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Wow, thank you for your comments. Some very good advice here. Thank you so much!!! Now off to eat some chicken and veggies for dinner...something that I have noticed that helps me is putting in my dessert in the morning, like SF FF jello , so I can look forward to that and not veer off track :)
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    Start small. Take a week and just log allll your food - good or bad. Then examine your day and see where you can change some things. Then think about going for walks, increasing your activity.

Don't approach it like you have 120 pounds to lose, approach like you have 20 pounds and two new habits to form. Then create new, small goals.

You can do it.
  • heathervazquez75
    heathervazquez75 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    You got to hang in there! Tell yourself you are ready until you believe it. Start slow! Your body is not used to this massive change. Later on you can adjust once you feel strong! Drink lots of water! Like lots of water! When you get a craving snap your fingers and switch your thoughts, step away, call a friend, go for a stroll. Stop the thinking in its tracks and do something else. Chew some gum, drink some tea. One day at a time one step at a time you are going to get there! The time is now! Every day start anew! If you mess up put it behind you and move on! Get determined to change your life for good! No matter what happens just keep at it every day! No more excuses! Make a plan! Plan ahead every day! Don't leave yourself empty handed and hungry! Prep your food ahead of time so there will be convienience! Each time you have a craving ask your self "does this fit in with my goals?" (The answer is alyways going to be no). If you stress eat (or did) find another way to relax. Exercise usually does the trick. I do yoga every day! Track your weight and take photos even if you don't want to. Your weight will go up and down but you will see the trend. Keep a journal and share each day how you feel and how you are doing good and bad. Find some friends on the app to encourage you. Create a positive mantra and repeat it every day. You got this! Set your goals. I set small goals every week. Like lose 1 pound! Or eat within goal for certain # of days straight. Eat a cheat meal once a week and have something you really like. Don't give up!
  • sich30
    sich30 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I didn't lose any weight for 5 weeks. I'd eat healthy during the day, then undo my efforts once the kids were in bed. I did do 2 hours yoga and 80 min tae bo per week, so I was also gaining muscle and staying fit. I just started biking to work (25 min per day) and eating better snacks when I'm hungry, and have lost 0.6 lb. All that to say that it might take you a while to lose any, or even to feel motivated enough to want to avoid empty foods. I almost gave up last week. Don't put in your food if you don't feel like it, but put in your exercise. You'll be proud to see how many minutes you do week after week. Good luck!
  • GoPerfectHealth
    GoPerfectHealth Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Through trial and error you can find the foods that will keep you satisfied. Don't give up. It gets much easier. At first I had a very difficult time keeping my calories low, but I learned how to allocate my calories throughout the day to prevent binging. It's not always easy, but you keep working at it!
  • BethanyFrerichs
    BethanyFrerichs Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Newbie here. I'm at day 10 and it's gotten easier. The database is amazing and the realization of what I was eating really made me mad at first. It doesn't seem fair but I had to really put my tantrum aside and keep at it. The first three days I just sat and cried while entering information. Hubby said if it stressed me that much stop.

You can't cut everything out at once. I set myself up some reasonable goals (Sigh..wanting a Dr. Pepper right now) and that's really helped. I didn't want software to totally rule my life and I've made it so it hasn't. I don't mind logging stuff now. I FEEL better emotionally after making realistic changes in my life.

I also decided to tell myself, "Look what you haven't eaten today" and mentally list the stuff you walked away from or had less of. MFP doesn't let you do that but sometimes I think that would be a nice option.

Don't give up too soon and don't hate yourself when you have a bad day.