If gaining lean tissue is your primary goal do you lift weights in a fasted state or eat first?

Options
If your goal is to add lean tissue while minimizing the addition of adipose tissue Do you lift weights in a fasted state or do you eat first? Why?

Replies

• Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    I always pre fuel any workout to get the best performance out of myself, I tend to eat a quarter of my protein daily allowance and about 1/3 to 1/2 of my carbs 2/3 hours before. I eat a lot of my calories in the 4/6 hour window around my workouts so fuel up and to aid a quick recovery.
  • IvanOcampo
    IvanOcampo Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I normally eat prior to working out as well. Normally a bowl of oats, a banana and a protein shake, depending on what the workout is.
    If I'm going for a massive PR, a heavy squat or deadlift, I will often treat myself and have 3 or 4 donuts .. my mind associates donuts and the upcoming heavy lift and gets me ready..

All this, plus a couple of scoops of pre-workout..
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    I usually train in the evening so have a pre and post WO meal. If I train early I don't eat til after....
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    Muscle building happens the day after, so it really doesn't matter how you lift (fasted or not) the day before. Your nutrition should be consistent and ensure you consume enough protein on your rest day.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • rccatalano
    rccatalano Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    The most important thing for building muscle with minimal fat gain is to eat a slight calorie surplus (300-500 cals, depending on your body's response) each day. In this regard, meal timing does not matter. However, a pre-workout meal is beneficial for a few reasons:

1. Carbs provide your muscles with glycogen, which allows for heavier and more intense lifts
    2. Consuming protein before your workout helps mitigate the muscle breakdown that occurs when you lift

For these two reasons, I eat about 25g protein and 25g carbs roughly an hour before I lift. That, and because lifting heavy on an empty stomach sucks and I would never do that to myself
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    rccatalano wrote: »
    For these two reasons, I eat about 25g protein and 25g carbs roughly an hour before I lift. That, and because lifting heavy on an empty stomach sucks and I would never do that to myself

I used to train fasted and it sucks. 7am at the gym, empty stomach, trying to Squat or even Deadlift is just rough and I eat something now before training.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    I lift in fasted state.
    Post workout meal is big. usually 1000 - 1500 calories.
  • rgrissman
    rgrissman Posts: 9 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Muscle building happens the day after, so it really doesn't matter how you lift (fasted or not) the day before. Your nutrition should be consistent and ensure you consume enough protein on your rest day.

There is evidence that shows lifting in a fasted state does increase the presence of growth hormone. However, it is recommended that if you're going to work out in a fasted state, it is best to take 10 grams of BCAAs before the workout to minimize tissue damage and facilitate faster recovery.
  • AKDonF
    AKDonF Posts: 235 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

This.

Personally I train fasted. I have done both and I am able to maintain intensity with either but I feel my focus is better when fasted. I am not certain that one way is better than another. It is probably controversial, but I believe BCAAs pre-workout and protein and carbs post-workout benefit fasted training.
  • MityMax96
    Options
    AKDonF wrote: »

This.

Personally I train fasted. I have done both and I am able to maintain intensity with either but I feel my focus is better when fasted. I am not certain that one way is better than another. It is probably controversial, but I believe BCAAs pre-workout and protein and carbs post-workout benefit fasted training.

My view and how I feel. Exactly.
  • s2mikey
    s2mikey Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    rccatalano wrote: »
    The most important thing for building muscle with minimal fat gain is to eat a slight calorie surplus (300-500 cals, depending on your body's response) each day. In this regard, meal timing does not matter. However, a pre-workout meal is beneficial for a few reasons:

1. Carbs provide your muscles with glycogen, which allows for heavier and more intense lifts
    2. Consuming protein before your workout helps mitigate the muscle breakdown that occurs when you lift

Yes - this makes sense. I always try to eat a preworkout meal and then something protein heavy afterwards. Not huge meals but enough to fuel a workout. I can NOT workout or do any cardio when fasted. I feel sick!
  • dieselbyte
    dieselbyte Posts: 733 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

This. Overall caloric intake and nutrition throughout the day is what matters. Training fasted or fed has nothing to do with putting on lean muscle or not. The question you have to answer is will being fasted or fed enhance/hinder your training. Also, as @AKDonF stated, if you do train fasted, it is a smart idea not to remain fasted for too long. Although he and I will politely disagree :) on the timing, I do believe that going an extended amount of hours after fasted training without protein and carb intake isn't optimal.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    Maybe I'm getting old then because i have a hell of a time remaining focused on heavy Squats and Deads while fasted. :)
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Well won't a pre workout meal have better performance which could stimulate more fiber tears right?

• TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Not necessarily, no.

I also train fasted. Well, usually. A cup of coffee is almost always the only thing I have before I lift in the AM. If I'm particularly hungry, I'll eat a banana. If I can't lift until later in the day, I'll eat normally.

When training fasted, I typically end up eating breakfast 30-45 minutes after. Sometimes about 15, if I'm going to work directly from the gym.

As to why? That's simply what works best for me.
  • dieselbyte
    dieselbyte Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Well won't a pre workout meal have better performance which could stimulate more fiber tears right?

No, meal timing is personal preference for performance sake. Some individuals need a pre-workout meal. For others, if they eat within a few hours of training, it causes all types of issues and lowers performance.
  • MityMax96
    Options
    dieselbyte wrote: »
    ...... I do believe that going an extended amount of hours after fasted training without protein and carb intake isn't optimal.

Agreed.
    Post weight lifting workout, and it being intense.
    You get the most benefit from a high carb, protein meal within 2 hours.....
    Your body is more responsive to the insulin spike.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

No, meal timing is personal preference for performance sake. Some individuals need a pre-workout meal. For others, if they eat within a few hours of training, it causes all types of issues and lowers performance.

You didn't answer my question. Also I am talking about performance so your first sentence was already said in my quote.

• MityMax96
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

+1

Since I have been training fasted I feel I have a lot more energy and focus than I ever did when I was in a fed state.
    And once I get going....I don't even feel hungry. There have been times post workout I have had to force myself to eat, because I just didn't feel like it.

But it is all personal preference.