How many calories do 5'0 - 5'2 women maintain on?

Options
2»

Replies

• sgthaggard
    sgthaggard Posts: 581 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Isn't MFP supposed to calculate that for you?

The MFP calorie calculations are an estimate based on the "average" metabolisms of people who are the same gender, age, height, etc...but some people are going to have a slower or faster metabolism than the averages MFP uses. For example, I seem to lose weight faster than they predict the "average" 44 year old female will and I suspect this is because I never had kids and also because I (unfortunately) smoke cigarettes.
    I would imagine it would still be a bit more accurate than getting a general consensus of posters here who have nothing more in common than their height.

OP, there are a lot of different variables you would have to take into account, not the least of which would be your maintenance weight, age, and your activity level.
  • higgins8283801
    higgins8283801 Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    1400-1600 before. I wind up eating 1700-2300 a day, depending on exercise. Run days get me closer to 2300
  • lngrunert
    lngrunert Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2" and I maintain on 1800-2000 calories a day, but that's with working out 5x per week (cardio and heavy lifting.)
  • smiichan
    smiichan Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2", 117lbs , very sedentary, and I maintain on 1900 - 2000 calories a day
  • gemmamummy
    gemmamummy Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    4'11 102lbs and 15% bodyfat, maintain on 1850-1900 a day with 3.5 hours a week weightlifting and 1 hour of boxing sparing a week.
  • Whitezombiegirl
    Whitezombiegirl Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    I'm 5ft0 and 114lbs. I maintain at 1362 (according to computations) and lose at about 1100. Currently around 20-21% body fat.

Of course when i get to goal weight that will drop further. At 103lb mainenance should be about 1302cals.

This is without any exercise.
  • CockneyLady2014
    CockneyLady2014 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    There are so many faactors to be taken into account and they are personal. I am currently on 1440 and I aim to lose 1lb per week. There are several formulas for calculated Basal Metabolic Rate (the amount of calories your body uses doing nothing) but even this is only a guide. However MFP uses a formula to calculate this based on the profile you enter. Then 500 calories, per pound of loss you want, are deducted from BMR to achieve this. However these are only a guide. Generally, when you have reached your goal weight, you would be advised to increase your daily calories by 200 and trial this for a week. Weigh in and see what has happened. If you have maintained and want to eat more then increase again. I hope this helps.
  • angelpinkgal
    angelpinkgal Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    5'0, to maintain around 90-93lbs (my ideal) around 1300, im currently closer to 100. Im having trouble maintaining >.<
  • RaspberryTickleChicken
    Options
    May33338 wrote: »
    I've been struggling with figuring out my maintenance calories and would love to know how much each of you are eating to maintain your weight.

First of all congrats on reaching your goal.

Second, if I learned anything from this whole journey is that one simply can't base one's maint. calories on others as everyone is different! Height & Weight alone doesn't account for body frame & activity levels.

Best suggestion is to figure it out for yourself using your current stats. I saw someone posting the much raved about Scooby or try this IIFYM Plug in your data and use it as a guide. Make adjustments as needed.

As with weight loss, there is NO magic formula which will work for everyone. Because if that was the case over 50% of people who lose weight wouldn't gain it back.

Best of luck to you!
  • fr3smyl
    fr3smyl Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    The information on here has been very helpful!