EGGS! yolks vs. whites. vs. eggbeaters?

Options
bacarter18
bacarter18 Posts: 48 Member
So I LOVE eggs for breakfast....

WHEN I have the time in the morning, I like to do an egg over toast. Or a scrambler of sorts with salsa and veggies on hand. I'm also wanting to try individual muffin-pan fritattas so I can but them in the fridge for the next day type thing (I have a recipe somewhere). I know some yolk is fine for me... but I'd rather stick to more whites than yolks, especially for a bigger fritatta or scrambled eggs.

What are people's thoughts on Eggbeaters? Or buying the whites in the cartons? It just seems weird to me... anyone used them? Thoughts? Opinions? (recipes!) hehe.

Thanks!

Replies

• dawnrenee567
    dawnrenee567 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I only use local eggs (so no eggbeaters for me)...if I'm having/using more than one, I use one yolk and just the white of the next egg.
  • eatnrun2
    eatnrun2 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I use whole eggs, but more whites than yolks. So, for a scramble I might go with 2 whites and one whole egg.
  • mariahruby
    mariahruby Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    i just switched over to egg whites. i buy the carton of eggs. and just get the whites out of the shells. all my other family likes regular eggs, so thats why i still buy the carton. when i saw the calorie difference and the amount of cholesterol in 2 whole eggs, then i decided to start making egg whites. and i love them!
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    I use egg beaters (Garden Vegetables), egg whites (in a box), and also eggs. I like hardboiled eggs to put in my salad and also to make my own egg salad.

Some people may be restricted to limited amount of eggs per week due to high cholesterol, or other health reasons others may not like egg yolks or to buy egg whites in a box. For me all the choices work fine.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    Yolks actually have quite a bit of the protein in an egg, and lots of vitamins/nutrients. Why waste such a wonderful thing?

Fat from eggs and dairy is not "bad". Consumed in moderation as part of a healthy diet, they're perfectly okay. Between my last two annual physicals I regularly ate 2 eggs for breakfast most mornings (which put me over on cholesterol) but my cholesterol levels actually improved significantly! If you want to read an eye-openener on the flaws in current thinking about cholesterol, fat and heart disease, read "Good Calories, Bad Calories" by Gary Taubes. I may not agree with all of his conclusions/assertions, but I think it's an important book to read if not just to understand problems in how things become generally accepted as healthy or unhealthy.
  • geraintf
    geraintf Posts: 15
    Options
    Yolks actually have quite a bit of the protein in an egg, and lots of vitamins/nutrients. Why waste such a wonderful thing?

Fat from eggs and dairy is not "bad". Consumed in moderation as part of a healthy diet, they're perfectly okay. Between my last two annual physicals I regularly ate 2 eggs for breakfast most mornings (which put me over on cholesterol) but my cholesterol levels actually improved significantly! If you want to read an eye-openener on the flaws in current thinking about cholesterol, fat and heart disease, read "Good Calories, Bad Calories" by Gary Taubes. I may not agree with all of his conclusions/assertions, but I think it's an important book to read if not just to understand problems in how things become generally accepted as healthy or unhealthy.

what he said. As long as your not eating excessive amounts of egg yolks a day there's no point in worrying about it
  • antinoob
    antinoob Posts: 1
    Options
    Eggs are also one of my favorites. Looks like i found a new way to make eggs. Use one full egg and some egg whites in a box.
  • RJaxon00
    RJaxon00 Posts: 13 Member
    Options

what he said. As long as your not eating excessive amounts of egg yolks a day there's no point in worrying about it

I'm curious what an excessive amount is?

I try to have egg beaters for myself, but a carton of eggs for the rest of the family. However, when I run out of egg beaters, I tend to make 2 hard boiled eggs for my breakfast to go with my whole wheat toast + peanut butter.

I've read that eggs helps the good cholesterol, but seeing the amount of cholesterol per egg in MFP when I log it scares me, honestly.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    I'm curious what an excessive amount is?

I try to have egg beaters for myself, but a carton of eggs for the rest of the family. However, when I run out of egg beaters, I tend to make 2 hard boiled eggs for my breakfast to go with my whole wheat toast + peanut butter.

I've read that eggs helps the good cholesterol, but seeing the amount in MFP when I log it scares me, honestly.

Well I don't know that there's a definitive amount that is excessive, but I can say that two eggs in a morning plus toast and peanut butter is a perfectly reasonable breakfast. I tend to make my breakfasts higher in fat/protein and lower in carbs, with lunch and dinner being more balanced. It just works best for me and keeps me full. At the end of the day, as long as your total fat is between 15-30% of total calories, and it's coming from natural (non-fried, non-human-altered) sources (so fish, nuts, eggs, avocado, olive oil, etc.) you should be okay.
  • Brandicaloriecountess
    Brandicaloriecountess Posts: 2,126 Member
    Options
    I do a little of all of the options.

I use egg sub for somethings
    Eggs whites for somethings
    And other times I will do one whole egg, and some egg whites.
  • achapman01
    achapman01 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I love eggs! I do not like the texture of eggbeaters, (what else do they put in that carton, anyway?!) so I buy lots of eggs (usually jumbo size for a few cents more) and just use the whites. I generally add one whole egg for flavor. Much of the information I've seen says that one egg yolk is generally OK, unless you buy organic eggs. With organic, you can eat the whole eggs. Granted those are pretty expensive. The low-fat, high protein boost from egg whites has helped my weight loss and curbed my hunger. My favorite breakfast: three egg whites, one whole egg, 1/3 cup frozen spinach, 1/3 cup frozen bell pepper strips, 1/2 cup drained black beans and a dash of cayenne pepper. Works great as a scramble in a pan, or scrambled in a pyrex bowl and microwaved. Best Regards.
  • bacarter18
    bacarter18 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    yes i like the idea of one egg and maybe the eggwhites in a box... but then i also wonder what is in the box! i just feel so wasteful if i'm throwing away an egg yolk :( food waste is a big issue of mine... i hate to waste it! but i also know not eating it all is better! so maybe i'll just try a few things. i also will go with either Eggland's Best or organic/no hormones eggs because with how much i eat them, i know they're better for me. i could always get an extra pack to use for just whites... not a bad idea also. (i also heard of people scrambling the extra yolk and using it as treats for their dog!)

THANKS EVERYONE!!!
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    when I don't want the yolk, raw or boiled, I give it to my dogs. They LOVE them.
  • 44isthenew29
    44isthenew29 Posts: 141
    Options
    I love eggs and have a hard-boiled one each morning - I recently made the switch to organic/no hormones and they aren't much more expensive than regular eggs. I have no cholesterol issues and love the amount of protein that an egg provides.
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    I used to do eggbeaters. They're super-convenient, but tend to be pricey. Costco's version "Real Egg Product" is the best deal I've seen. Like others have mentioned, the yolk contains a lot of the egg's vitamins. In that regard, eggbeaters are a little bit better than plain egg whites, because they are fortified with some additional vitamins to make up for the lack of yolk.

That said, I have been using plain old whites (with a yolk or 2 tossed in) for a while now, because I just got used to it and it's easier for me to pick up a few cartons of eggs at the grocery than it is to go find a good deal on eggbeaters type product (Costco is a little bit of an annoying trip for me).
  • fitcrew
    fitcrew Posts: 67 Member
    Options

There is 5 grams of fat in one egg yolk....they can be bad if your pigging out on them....if your not working out your not gonna burn....i generally do one of two things....i use the egg whites of two eggs and give the yolks to my dogs as to not waste them and then use one whole egg with it or just use the egg whites in a box....they are yummy :)
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I usually just buy a box of 5 dozen eggs. It is cheaper than egg beaters, or liquid egg whites, and I can de yolk what I want.

I know the yolks are healthy, so I usually do one or 2 whole eggs, but to increase protein I also do a few whites.
  • calliope_music
    calliope_music Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    i usually scramble an egg or just take the yolk out of the egg...i sometimes buy the egg whites but generally can't use the whole carton before it goes bad.