Am I starving myself?

Options
I've been doing MFP for a months now and am seeing slow results. But I'm still confused with how many calories I should be eating. I'm quite active and workout 4-6 times a week doing various cardio and weight training sessions. I never eat any of my exercise calories back, so wonder if I'm eating enough. For example MFP has given me the goal of eating 1430 each day, which I stay within, but if I'm exercising and say burning 500 +/- calories per day, I guess that means I'm only eating 930??. I'm by no means going to bed feeling starved but on occasion just slightly hungry which doesn't bother me. I'm scared of eating more calories as don't want my weight to increase, as I'm ever so slowly losing weight actually a lot slower than I thought I would but I only have a small amount to lose so I suppose this is normal, right?. Could someone please calculate how many calories I should be consuming to keep losing and keep my body fuelled for exercise ? Thanks in advance

Replies

• primrose2572
    primrose2572 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    My stats are; age 42 / height 5.5 / female. My diary is open. Thanks all!
  • NotQuiteNorm
    NotQuiteNorm Posts: 283 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Height, weight, age? I'm pretty sure eating 50% exercise calories is suggested - I stay at my 500 deficit, eating my exercise calories back and I'm losing quite quickly/toning too so don't worry about eating them!

Edit, have just looked through your diary and you have lost 9lb in 9 weeks. I'm not sure what seems slow about this?
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,940 Member
    Options
    How well are your expected deficits correlating with actual weight loss?
    How long have you been in a caloric deficit with these kinds of high deficits?
  • primrose2572
    Options
    My stats are ; height 5ft 5.5 / age 42 / female/ current weight 10st 8.5 (as of this morning). Thanks!
  • primrose2572
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »

I keep bouncing back and fourth to the same weight and can't seem to push past it. At times I will gain a few pounds then takes a week or so to get back to my originally weight. I never seem to able to push past this current weight?. I have been at these deficits since I guess I started MFP but have increased my exercise levels in the last month which has taken me more into defect. I would have thought that given my high deficits I would be consistently losing, but I'm not? So something's not right?.
  • NotQuiteNorm
    Options
    You're fine, you're also losing exactly as fast as you should be so I suggest eating back some exercise kcal, but otherwise you're great!
  • NotQuiteNorm
    Options

I keep bouncing back and fourth to the same weight and can't seem to push past it. At times I will gain a few pounds then takes a week or so to get back to my originally weight. I never seem to able to push past this current weight?. I have been at these deficits since I guess I started MFP but have increased my exercise levels in the last month which has taken me more into defect. I would have thought that given my high deficits I would be consistently losing, but I'm not? So something's not right?.

When was the last time you lost weight? If you keep doing what you're doing it will pass
  • stuartk75
    stuartk75 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I put your details into a couple of tdee calculators, and it looks like you need around 1700 cals to maintain. If you have net cals of around 1200 per day, you should lose around 1 pound a week, which it looks like you have.

To lose more quickly than that is going to be difficult because you'll have to eat too few calories, or do lots of extra exercise.

So it sounds like you're doing just fine :) Keep it going.
  • jessiemjporter
    jessiemjporter Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I think sometimes, not eating enough calories can stall weight loss..
    i think maybe eat around 1600 a day. and see how that goes for a week. If there is weight loss- awesome!, if not then go back to what your use to.. just dont stave your body of anything when working out.
    I know when i was at the gym 4 days a week i didnt lose much weight. and since i slowed it down to 2 days a week and increased my calories by 50 a day i lost 8lbs (in 3 months - slow and stead).
    mix it up a little and see what happens :smile: Good luck! xx
  • PAV8888
    Options
    I don't quite agree with stuartk75 because I think I am eyeballing a good 300 Cal+ discrepancy between your expected (based on deficit) and observed weight loss.

If you have recently increased your exercise intensity you could be retaining water. If you have been at a high deficit for a long period of time you could be adapting to the calories you're eating and/or the exercises you are performing and the CO part of the equation for you may be lower than what is generally predicted.

This doesn't mean that your weight loss of 9lbs in 9weeks is not as fast as could be! And it certainly doesn't mean that it should be faster! You are at a normal weight range. 68% of women your age have a higher BMI than yourself.

While your goal weight is certainly within normal parameters, you should be approaching it at a much slower rate than you are. 0.5lbs a week as opposed to 1lb!

How about reducing your activity by 250 Cal a day (or increasing your food consumption by 250 Cal a day)?
    I was going to say 500 Cal; but I am pretty sure you wouldn't do that!

And observe what happens for a couple of weeks.
  • PAV8888
    Options
    Reasons to exercise while in a caloric deficit:
    1. Stimulate existing muscles and make sure you retain them
    2. Build a larger caloric deficit
    3. Feel good.

But while doing all that be cognizant that you don't need to exercise to lose weight!

Nothing wrong with wanting to be strong and fast. Nothing wrong with wanting to be thinner. But when you are in a caloric deficit you are catabolic and your body cannot build muscle mass. Your performance during your exercise is also potentially lower.

Excessive exercise can and will interfere with your weight loss. You will retain water, possibly for weeks at a time. And exhaustion plus hurt muscles can result in a net reduction in your non exercise activity substantially offsetting your exercise burns.
  • primrose2572
    Options
    Reasons to exercise while in a caloric deficit:
    1. Stimulate existing muscles and make sure you retain them
    2. Build a larger caloric deficit
    3. Feel good.

But while doing all that be cognizant that you don't need to exercise to lose weight!

Nothing wrong with wanting to be strong and fast. Nothing wrong with wanting to be thinner. But when you are in a caloric deficit you are catabolic and your body cannot build muscle mass. Your performance during your exercise is also potentially lower.

Excessive exercise can and will interfere with your weight loss. You will retain water, possibly for weeks at a time. And exhaustion plus hurt muscles can result in a net reduction in your non exercise activity substantially offsetting your exercise burns.

I really don't know what to do for the best. I so so want to lighter, thinner and stronger at the same time I don't want to put my health at risk. So far my energy levels have continued to be high, I've had a few odd days though when I'm totally burnt out and takes me a couple of days to get back on track then away I go again. I love being active and loving the way my body is changing (tightening) but get dishearten when I see minimal changes on the scales. Based on my stats if I stick to my exercise regime and increase to say 1600 cals do you think I will still lose? Thanks!
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options

It's likely that your deficit isn't as big as you think it is. How do you determine the sizes of the portions you log?

It doesn't sound like you're starving yourself. You say you feel good, have high energy, and aren't dropping weight like crazy.... so it's not likely you're eating too little.
  • primrose2572
    Options

It's likely that your deficit isn't as big as you think it is. How do you determine the sizes of the portions you log?

It doesn't sound like you're starving yourself. You say you feel good, have high energy, and aren't dropping weight like crazy.... so it's not likely you're eating too little.

I weigh and measure everything I eat so i'm pretty certain my logging is as correct as it can be. I don't think my burns are true, thus my deficit isn't true.
  • branflakes1980
    branflakes1980 Posts: 2,516 Member
    Options
    I apologize if this has been asked, but you said MFP has your calories set at 1430 is that calculated based on you having a sedentary lifestyle or an active one? ( I workout 5-6 days a week but have mine set as sedentary because I sit at a desk all day and I like to log my exercise) If you have it set as active lifestyle then the exercise calorie burn would already be factored into that # so you would not need to eat them back, but if you have it set up as sedentary and log your exercise then yes you should be eating atleast 50% of them back. Just my $0.02
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

I weigh and measure everything I eat so i'm pretty certain my logging is as correct as it can be. I don't think my burns are true, thus my deficit isn't true.

And when did you say the last time you lost weight was? (not counting the bouncing back and forth) And when you say you upped your activity level in the past month, what does this include?

It does look like your logging is pretty precise.
  • primrose2572
    Options
    I apologize if this has been asked, but you said MFP has your calories set at 1430 is that calculated based on you having a sedentary lifestyle or an active one? ( I workout 5-6 days a week but have mine set as sedentary because I sit at a desk all day and I like to log my exercise) If you have it set as active lifestyle then the exercise calorie burn would already be factored into that # so you would not need to eat them back, but if you have it set up as sedentary and log your exercise then yes you should be eating atleast 50% of them back. Just my $0.02

I have it set to sedentary, but never eat any of the calories back.
  • DirrtyH
    DirrtyH Posts: 664 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Based on my stats if I stick to my exercise regime and increase to say 1600 cals do you think I will still lose? Thanks!

This may or may not work. Common sense would say that increasing your calories is not going to make you lose more weight/lose weight faster. Anecdotal evidence suggests that increasing calories sometimes works.

However, be aware that increasing calories will cause an immediate weight gain of water weight, so if you decide to go that route, give it a few weeks.

Personally, I wouldn't raise calories. If I were you, I'd stick with what you're doing for a while longer and if you still don't see a change, I'd drop them a little bit. I don't lose very fast at 1500 either, so I dropped down to 1300. It's working better.
  • primrose2572
    Options

And when did you say the last time you lost weight was? (not counting the bouncing back and forth) And when you say you upped your activity level in the past month, what does this include?

It's got to be weeks ago, I go up and stay there for a while then take days/weeks to get back to the starting point. Ie: Im at the same weight today as I was March 15th and have gone back and forth since then. I have double up on cardio twice a week for the last month or so this is in addition to my usual training sessions.
  • DirrtyH
    DirrtyH Posts: 664 Member
    Options

It's got to be weeks ago, I go up and stay there for a while then take days/weeks to get back to the starting point. Ie: Im at the same weight today as I was March 15th and have gone back and forth since then. I have double up on cardio twice a week for the last month or so this is in addition to my usual training sessions.

When you say you've doubled up on cardio twice a week...
    Exactly how much are you exercising right now? What is your weekly routine?