HOW TO LOSE WEIGHT ONLY ON THE STOMACH ?

Options
Hi. I need advice please.

I'm a very thin person, I weight 50 kg for 1m65. I have very thin legs and arms, but... my stomach is terrible. It's so terrible that I cannot show it and I always wear shirts too large because I don't want people to notice it. Big people have normal bodies because they're big from everywhere, but me... I feel like I'm not normal. At least if I had a bit of fat here and there it wouldn't look so weird... But I'm so thin. People in my family always tell me "you're so thin ! are you anorexic or something ?"... but they don't see my stomach because I hide it.

I've always had a big stomach since I was a little girl. My mother used to let us drink soda all the time when we were kids. I started noticing around 7 but it became a real issue when I received a comment from my mother about "looking pregnant" (and I was about 10). I am now 27 and it's still the same.

About 3 years ago, I weighted 49 kg and my stomach was slimmer indeed, but it was still very much there. It's just gotten worse since. It's like I only get fat on this area, and hips as well !

When I look online, I see people saying you should do abs to get rid of stomach fat, but others say that it will only put muscles under the fat so it won't change anything or even make it worse. Others say you have to lose weight from your whole body, but when I weighed 40 kg I still had a huge stomach, I don't want to look anorexic.

I've always been a very lazy person and I've never been able to get myself to do any sport. I'm also scared to go run alone, or go to a sports club on my own, and I don't know anyone that would go with me.

I've also read that some food will make the stomach bigger. When I weighted 49kg, I used to only have a little paunch when I woke up, but then after eating it would become huge. But now it's huge all the time. I even feel my stomach. Like a discomfort. Especially when I'm sitted.

Maybe some of you could tell me what diet I should do and/or what exercise would be good for me. Would appreciate something I could do at home.

Thank you.

Replies

• kimw91
    kimw91 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    It doesn't sound like your issue is fat, it sounds like your issue is bloating, which could be caused by simply drinking too much soda for example or you could be sensitive to certain types as food or elements such as lactose. Under eating or having an ill balanced diet could cause this too.

If it's not bloating, I'd look into strength training. You can't target where you want to lose fat and it doesn't sound like you have much to lose anyway. Strengthening your core will help you tone up.

On a side note, saying 'other people have normal bodies because they're big everywhere' may not be the most tactical comment ;-).
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    You can't

I am only responding to the title, I didn't read your OP .. it's long sorry .. but the answer is the same for everybody

You can't spot reduce

Weight will come off where it comes off - if you have no excess fat left anywhere else then it will come off stomach fat reserves

You need to eat at a calorie defecit and lift heavy things

read the sticky at the top of the General board "So you want a nice stomach"

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    You cannot lose more weight and remain healthy, assuming you even are healthy now. The things you mention about feeling like your stomach is huge after eating make me suspect that all this is more or less psychological, especially if people are commenting about you being anorexic. It sounds like talking to a therapist is a good place to start. This sounds like a confidence and body image issue. You have a BMI around 18 and you want to lose more weight because you feel your tummy is huge, because your mother told you 17 years ago you looked pregnant. This is not healthy and you need help in real life, not online.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I've always been a very lazy person and I've never been able to get myself to do any sport. I'm also scared to go run alone, or go to a sports club on my own, and I don't know anyone that would go with me.

Stop being lazy and making excuses would be the first step - if you want to look like someone who is fit and does exercise then you have to do exercise and get fit. No more complicated than that.

Any exercise would be good for you.
  • LKArgh
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »

Stop being lazy and making excuses would be the first step - if you want to look like someone who is fit and does exercise then you have to do exercise and get fit. No more complicated than that.

Any exercise would be good for you.

Exercise will build muscle. Which she said she does not want because it will make the problem worst. She can "see" how big she gets by just eating and she can "feel" her stomach being huge. She used to weight 40 kilos, so had a BMI of 14! but thought her stomach was still huge. I doubt exercise is the answer :(
  • jimmyabbot02
    jimmyabbot02 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hey I have just received an answer from a fitness trainer in Fit Site Plus Community. The answer is "The only way to fight a perceived imbalance, is to fight it with balance.

Make sure you are not including any trouble foods. You need to eat well to create more muscle mass, so your body can obtain balance and not accumulate fat in stomach and hips, and to correct and perfect any digestive issues that could be preceding this.

Just like they told you you could not reduce fat in a spot specific manner, you cannot continue to battle this issue in an issue specific manner. "
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Why do I get the feeling that this is a marketing post?
    OP's profile is male.

Rat - I smell one.
  • kimw91
    kimw91 Posts: 355 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Hey I have just received an answer from a fitness trainer in Fit Site Plus Community. The answer is "The only way to fight a perceived imbalance, is to fight it with balance.

The answer is very person dependent and unless this trainer knows you personally and knows you well, his answer is but an answer.
    OP's profile is male.

Rat - I smell one.

That would explain.. sigh.
  • LKArgh
    Options
    OP's profile is male.

Rat - I smell one.

Ugh, some wasted time ... If this is how these people are trying to get clients, I seriously doubt they will be very successful. Sounds like the opposite of advertisement.
  • jimmyabbot02
    Options
    Hey guys i am not doing this for marketing purpose. If you guys are feeling and thinking this then i am quiting this forum right now. I am just want help from you guys thats it.
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    Hey guys i am not doing this for marketing purpose. If you guys are feeling and thinking this then i am quiting this forum right now. I am just want help from you guys thats it.

You've had the answers

try reading them and responding to those
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    OP, how about you read the actual answers you have in this thread and engage with them?
  • jimmyabbot02
    Options
    OP's profile is male.

Rat - I smell one.

I forgot to select the option. That is why OP shows male profile.
  • jimmyabbot02
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »
    OP's profile is male.

Rat - I smell one.

Ugh, some wasted time ... If this is how these people are trying to get clients, I seriously doubt they will be very successful. Sounds like the opposite of advertisement.

I am not doing this for marketing purpose.

• jimmyabbot02
    Options
    kimw91 wrote: »

The answer is very person dependent and unless this trainer knows you personally and knows you well, his answer is but an answer.
    OP's profile is male.

Rat - I smell one.

That would explain.. sigh.

1 week ago I mailed this question to this person through their FB page. And then he replied the same. But i didn't get his answer useful for me. That is why I raised my concern here.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

Make sure you are not including any trouble foods. You need to eat well to create more muscle mass, so your body can obtain balance and not accumulate fat in stomach and hips, and to correct and perfect any digestive issues that could be preceding this.

Just like they told you you could not reduce fat in a spot specific manner, you cannot continue to battle this issue in an issue specific manner. "

Lol, that's a garbage response.
    Trouble foods. As if.
    Eating well doesn't create muscle mass by itself.
    And it makes no mention of strength training. Oops.
  • jimmyabbot02
    Options

Trouble foods. As if.

Please give me the working solution for this.

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options

Trouble foods. As if.

Read the posts that are already in here, you got some really good, well thought out responses.
  • Boogage
    Boogage Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Are you sure its not mainly lose skin at your size? I got sickly thin in an effort to get rid of my huge tummy but even after the fat was gone it still looked huge due to excess skin from having children. I re gained 20lbs and I felt much better about myself as I didn't look sick anymore and my tum fitted me better with a bit of fat all over. This time round I have more fat on my tum but I'm eating more and exercising to build muscle and my stomach seems to be pulling up and in a bit after just a couple of weeks.
  • Sued0nim
    edited April 2015
    Options

Trouble foods. As if.

FIRST RESPONSE
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    You can't

I am only responding to the title, I didn't read your OP .. it's long sorry .. but the answer is the same for everybody

You can't spot reduce

Weight will come off where it comes off - if you have no excess fat left anywhere else then it will come off stomach fat reserves

You need to eat at a calorie defecit and lift heavy things

read the sticky at the top of the General board "So you want a nice stomach"

and here's the link: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1161603/so-you-want-a-nice-stomach/p1

now what's the problem with that advice?