Frozen Dinners?

Options
2»

Replies

• donnag524
    donnag524 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I've started eating the Healthy Choice Cafe Steamers. They seem a little more like fresh food to me and the calories, fat, etc. seem to be lower. I'm also all about salad of any kind with some good soup.
  • stupidrobot
    stupidrobot Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I like most of the Lean Cuisine frozen dinners, but most of the other brands of diet frozen meals I've tried have tasted so bad that I've thrown them out and had a sandwich or something instead. If you'd rather not have frozen food there are lots of easy ways to have a low cal lunch that is a lot healthier than any frozen meal by preparing ahead of time. My favorite is to sautee yellow squash, zuchinni, and onions in a little bit of olive oil with salt, pepper, and herbes de provence, then put it into a ziploc bag after it cools. I will put that, some lettuce, hummus, and a pita pocket into tupperware container before I go to bed, and then it will be all ready to throw together as a sandwich the next day at lunch time. It's so yummy, and you can sautee a whole week's worth of vegetables all at once!

If you want to go even easier, do the same thing, but with the ingredients for a tuna salad, chicken, or turkey pita sandwich. I like to substitute deli mustard for mayonaisse - it has fewer calories and it tastes better anyway.

Another quick, easy, and healthy meal that I like is soup - red pepper and tomato soup with a few wheat crackers makes a delicious lunch, and now that they have created "to go" soups, you can heat it up in the microwave at work.
  • rdecember6
    rdecember6 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    If you can afford it, go for the Kashi frozen meals. They are totally natural, suprisingly tasty (and I'm picky), and are somewhat more filling due to a bulky grain mixture in most of them. They will set you back between $4-$4.75 per, and most are around 300-350 cal. But hey-it's your health and since they aren't full of any crap, you don't have to "make up for it" later!

Enjoy!
    p.s. these are in the "healthy" section of the grocery store
  • missjacki
    Options
    Oooohhh... I totally agree about the Kashi frozen meals. The Pesto pasta primavera is proably the best frozen meal I've ever had. It is pretty healthy too.

Amy's Organic frozen meals are also very good. Black bean enchilada w/ rice & beans is VERY good as well as the pesto ravioli...

Try and get these on sale if you can cuz otherwise at least $4 each. Both brands are in the "healthy" section of the grocer. When I find them on sale (like 2 for $5 or something) I buy as many as my freezer will hold.
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    I think the new Spa Lean Cuisines are great. I especially like the squash ravioli with the extra veggies.

Omgosh, eating the Butternut Squash Ravioli with veggies right now. It is DEEEEEE-lish!
    NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM
  • ruth369
    Options
    I really rely on frozen dinners ( lean cuisine rules!), I don't have the time to cook and it's so easy to just take one to work with me. The portion size doesn't really bother me (anymore), and the sodium isn't really an issue as long as I drink plenty of water throughout the day ,I'm always below my sodium limit by more than half by the end of the day anyway. I used to eat tv dinners before I started losing weight too, except back then I would buy two dinners instead of one, and would eat them both in one sitting:noway: . I guess if sodium is an issue for you, avoid them but if not they are great!
  • SASSYSMOM
    Options
    Really like the Smart Ones (WW) they are quick and easy and so good . I dont eat them all the time just occassionally but they sure save time and taste great especially the lasagna :smile:
  • yellow_pepper
    yellow_pepper Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Sassy, those are beautiful pomeranians! I love poms!

To everyone else... here are a few other healthy frozen dinners worth trying:

Amy's Organics - most are 400 and under
    Kashi
    South Beach

I find these more filling and nutritious than most Lean Cuisine. The ones from Amy's don't have any meat. To me, that's a good thing, since it means I don't have to worry about the low quality meat that is typically found in these frozen meals. As far as I know, Amy's has never had to recall any product.
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    I agree with Tina - cook something ahead of time (maybe on the weekend or in the crock pot), then use the leftovers for lunches/dinners.

I actually had this idea earlier this week - I'm going to try to start making my own frozen dinners. I haven't gotten to try it yet, but I already bought some reusable containers, and tonight I am going to make turkey cutlets - but they come 4 or 5 to a package, so I will cook them all, then freeze the rest individually with some sides!
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    I do a Healthy Choice/Lean Cuisine for dinner at work probably 4 times per week. We (bf and I) sometimes cook on the weekends, but ironically we probably have less time to do anything on the weekends than during the week. Even more ironic, he works at a restaurant and we still never cook LOL. At least I get Tuesday and Thursday nights off, but then it's homework and cleaning time. I can't wait to have a Mon-Fri job. :frown:
  • Chellekk
    Chellekk Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I have some in the freezer for emergency nights. Lean Hot Pockets (feels like a cheat meal) or Lean Cuisine's.

I normally cook my own food on Sundays, pack them into mini-meals and then eat them thru out the week. It not only cuts down on the sodium, but I can pack more veggies in each meal. I never feel that there are enough veggies in the frozen meals.

BUT...I think the frozen meals or canned soups are great if you don't have time to cook or don't know how. :smile:
  • Phoenixflame
    Phoenixflame Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Pricier than Lean Cuisines, but Amy's stuff is sooo good. If you've had an intense workout and need a boost, grab one of her shepherd's pies. Only 160 calories, but packed with veggies and beans and mashed potatoes. YUM. One of my favorite Amy's dishes is the Brown Rice Blacked Eyed Pea and Veggie Bowl. DELISH. I knew I was going to love Amy's when I peirced a hole in the plastic and could -smell- the real food...while it was frozen! That's a good indicator I find. If I can't smell the food, it makes me think it really isn't food.

And Lean Cuisines are pretty good too, but I have to pair them with veggies to feel truly full.

Oh! Jolly Green Giant Steamers! Those ROCK. I particularly like the Asian-themed bag.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Ok...thats it.....getting Amys and Kashi frozen meals tomorrow.

I too, like to eat as fresh as I can. I work from home, so it is pretty easy for me. There are days I am on the run so I pop in a Lean Cuisine and a salad.

Thanks for all the good ideas:flowerforyou:
  • stephica
    stephica Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Bump.