Exercise is good … but it won't help you lose weight, say doctors

Options

Replies

• bigd66218
    bigd66218 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    If you overeat and exercise definitely the weight remains the same. More upper body muscle might be added with layers of fat covering it up. I had a membership at the Y and my weight remained constant even though I was lifting 3days a week and cardio 4-5days a week.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Exercise can help create a big deficit but it is not necessary for weight loss...so I don't agree it won't help you lose weight it will but it isn't necessary....
  • DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Isn't this basically what people usually tend to say here? The phrase used in that article, 'you cannot outrun a bad diet', is regularly quoted here.

If you're eating at maintenance or just above and start doing enough exercise to bring you into a deficit then you'll lose weight, though it'll probably be quite slow weight loss. It's just down to CICO, and it's generally easier to achieve a deficit through diet than exercise.
  • lauracups
    lauracups Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Diet to look good in clothes
    Exercise to look good naked

• philreeduk
    philreeduk Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    The people in the comment section below the article are going rather crazy at this. Personally its both. I have found getting my diet in order has helped me tremendously and now I am on a more sustainable path the exercise will help to further enhance the weight loss and help me to look better once I get down to a more healthy weight.
  • Lois_1989
    Lois_1989 Posts: 6,406 Member
    Options
    Without reading the article, I was about to say you are more likely to stick with healthier eating habits than regular exercise. But you have to make sure the healthy eating habits are well in place for them to be a permanent part of your life. Exercise can be derailed. E.g. broken limbs, permanent disabling accident etc. I know more people who have had to give up an exercise routine than people who continuously chose cake over an apple.
  • cincysweetheart
    cincysweetheart Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    You can't out exercise a bad diet. You can shovel the calories in a hell of a lot faster and easier than you can burn them off. That is true. But to say exercise doesn't HELP… is not true. At least for me… exercise helps decrease my appetite, so it's easier to stay in a calorie deficit. Not to mention… it helps increase the deficit.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    A good diet gives you the energy to exercise. Exercising makes you crave better food.
  • Fayeworth
    Fayeworth Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    It is true that exercise isn't needed for weight loss but for me, I have been on MFP for a long time and eating at 1400 calories everyday would be hard work for me so I exercise 5 days a week in order to eat more. This works for me and many others too. As long as the deficit is there then you'll lose weight.
  • higgins8283801
    higgins8283801 Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    I agree.

Weight loss happens in the kitchen. You can work your tail off but if you eat in a surplus, excerise won't do anything to the scale.
  • higgins8283801
    higgins8283801 Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    You can't out exercise a bad diet. You can shovel the calories in a hell of a lot faster and easier than you can burn them off. That is true. But to say exercise doesn't HELP… is not true. At least for me… exercise helps decrease my appetite, so it's easier to stay in a calorie deficit. Not to mention… it helps increase the deficit.

Oh I wish exercise decreased my appetite. It turns me into a ravenous pig. :/ it's all I can do to not eat all the things. Lol it taught me moderation though.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Lois_1989 wrote: »
    Without reading the article, I was about to say you are more likely to stick with healthier eating habits than regular exercise. But you have to make sure the healthy eating habits are well in place for them to be a permanent part of your life. Exercise can be derailed. E.g. broken limbs, permanent disabling accident etc. I know more people who have had to give up an exercise routine than people who continuously chose cake over an apple.

Why not read the article?

Op having read that piece as well as the bit on the BBC about it, then am sceptical because a lot of its incomplete, reactionary and taken out of context. Its not clear, the evidence appears to be incomplete and it simply raises more questions than it answers. Probably better off reading it in its original form. British Journal of Sports Medicine.

http://bjsm.bmj.com/content/early/2015/04/21/bjsports-2015-094911

These are the interesting points imo.

1. All calories are not equal for health purposes, what you eat matters.
    However, the obesity epidemic represents only the tip of a much larger iceberg of the adverse health consequences of poor diet. According to the Lancet global burden of disease reports, poor diet now generates more disease than physical inactivity, alcohol and smoking combined. Up to 40% of those with a normal body mass index will harbour metabolic abnormalities typically associated with obesity, which include hypertension, dyslipidaemia, non-alcoholic fatty liver disease and cardiovascular disease

2. It then goes on to say
    many still wrongly believe that obesity is entirely due to lack of exercise. This false perception is rooted in the Food Industry's Public Relations machinery, which uses tactics chillingly similar to those of big tobacco.

The cant outrun a bad diet ethos, which I don't think anyone disagrees with here, since its about whether a person is at deficit after taking account of food consumed and exercise calories burned. Is that the fault of the food industry? I dont think they have spun that message and its not one ive ever believed existed to the extent the 3 authors suggest.

3. This seems to be one of their main points.
    Sugar calories promote fat storage and hunger. Fat calories induce fullness or ‘satiation’.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    If your average calorie intake is multiple thousand above your maintenance, you probably aren't going to do enough exercise to make it into maintenance. That's not exactly news.
  • Boogage
    Boogage Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Exercise burns calories which means I can eat more so I'm happier and more likely to stick to my diet :)
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit for weightloss.

Exercise for enhancing a quality (e.g. fat loss, strength, speed, power, endurance, etc.)
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I lost the weight without any exercise. I'm glad I did it this way for several reasons.
  • hiraHL
    hiraHL Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Its 80% diet and 20% exercise, yes you can lose weight without exercise but you wont lose inches that easily, exercise makes you feel better and tone you up
  • Lois_1989
    Lois_1989 Posts: 6,406 Member
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »
    Lois_1989 wrote: »

Why not read the article?

Op having read that piece as well as the bit on the BBC about it, then am sceptical because a lot of its incomplete, reactionary and taken out of context. Its not clear, the evidence appears to be incomplete and it simply raises more questions than it answers. Probably better off reading it in the Lancet.

... because it's the Guardian. lol Granted it's better than the Daily Mail or even worse the Sun, but I take any news paper article with a pinch of salt because it is all political and you'll probably find the journalist who wrote it is anti exercise and it just trying to justify why they shouldn't get off his/her *kitten* or has been bribed by someone to write it. lol
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,637 Member
    Options
    hiraHL wrote: »
    Its 80% diet and 20% exercise, yes you can lose weight without exercise but you wont lose inches that easily, exercise makes you feel better and tone you up
    ^
    +1

• TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    It seems odd to me that though people seem to agree that it is diet rather than exercise, you don't see many fat people in bicycle shops.