How important is breakfast?

Options
2»

Replies

• CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    Eating every meal isn't important. On the weekends or on vacations, I often don't eat lunch. Made no difference at all, besides to my wallet on vacations. ;)
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    whereslisa wrote: »
    MityMax96 wrote: »
    whereslisa wrote: »
    Thanks everyone, we all have heard the saying "breakfast is the most important meal of the day" and I wanted to make sure that it wasn't affecting my health or weight loss if I don't eat it.

Some days I am starving in the morning, like yesterday my entire days calories went it breakfast and coffee lol. But like this morning I got up at 8am and haven't eaten anything yet and probably won't until like 2pm.

Overall calories is what is important.
    And to some degree, macros, depending on your goals

What are Macros? Pardon my ignorance I know nothing about anything pretty much lol. Also if you don't mind, what is TDEE and NEAT? I hear so much about this stuff but have no idea what it is.

MACROS == Protein/Fat/Carbs
    TDEE == Total Daily Energy Expenditure, the energy you need to perform daily activities.
    NEAT == Non-Exercise Activity Thermogenesis, energy burnt off from just tapping your foot, or body temperature rising....anything you don't consciously do
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I have to eat breakfast or I'll have snacks all afternoon/evening. Another person may get ill from eating in the morning. It's personal preference--meal timing/frequency do not matter.
  • Dragn77
    Dragn77 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    I find that if I dont eat breakfast, I end up not feeling much hunger for the day, will forget to eat lunch and then famished at night when I want to eat all the food! Which is how I gained weight to begin with.

But if I do eat breakfast, then I will feel enough hunger throughout the day that I remember to eat and my day ends up being a lot more balanced. So for me personally, its important that I dont skip it.
  • lindsayh87
    lindsayh87 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I don't prefer to eat breakfast because I'm not typically hungry and I want to save my calories for evening. I do hear a lot about eating meals through the day to keep your metabolism going so I try to eat a little something. I don't know if there is any truth to that but the nutritional guides that have come with my work out plans say to have 4-5 300-400 calorie meals throughout the day depending on what your calorie goals are. I try to keep breakfast at 150cals or less because dinner is usually 400-500 for me! A small bowl of regular Cheerios, a banana, or one piece of toast with jam is perfect to start the day. I don't find that eating breakfast keeps me from over eating later like "they" say. I tried. It didn't work and I was always just way over calories at the end of the day! Do what works best for you and just make sure you are getting the proper nutrition the rest of the day!
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    It's not all that important to me. I've done 16/8 intermittent fasting (essentially just not eating breakfast) with great results both in weight-loss and exercise performance. Right now I'm having breakfast some days, skipping it other days -- I tend to pre-log breakfast just in case, but about half the time I'm not hungry and end up not eating it and deleting it from my diary. Whatever works for you is what's "important," really.
  • splashtree5
    splashtree5 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I love breakfast a big caffelatte with jam and bread or scramble eggs with hash pottoes or fruit salad and coffee with cream.
  • lNail
    lNail Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    It's a personal preference...I eat breakfast daily. I notice I have more energy now than I did back when I skipped breakfast...at first it was difficult for me but I started small...a few grapes here...a yogurt there...now I eat a full breakfast ;) egg whites, avocado, oatmeal