muscle milk!

Options
Love it or hate it?

Replies

• ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I hate it, but love the fact that it's actually available in a lot of stores where you won't find any other drinks with much protein.
  • erockem
    erockem Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Hate the price.
  • Spyer116
    Spyer116 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Never seen it here. Not in supermarkets, smaller stores, or even health shops.
    Not saying it definitely isn't here, could be I missed it, or it just wasn't in the particular places i've been in.

But I do get Avonmore - Protein Milk sometimes.
    Its low fat or whatever with high protein (compared to normal milk anyway)
    Had 200ml this morning which was 98cals, 10g carb, 10g protein, 2g fat.
    Is that similar to muscle milk?
  • anachronicles
    anachronicles Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I've only tried the light chocolate one. It's decent on it's own but absolutely delightful when mixed in with coffee after a morning lifting session, turns it into a mock mocha shake
  • OHaraFitness
    OHaraFitness Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Muscle milk is low grade protein, you need something much higher in quality so you're body can digest it. Our clubs only sell the following: SFH, RxBars and Fuel for Fire. Look those up, not the cheapest but you will see some great results
  • justinarias07
    justinarias07 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Spyer116 wrote: »
    Never seen it here. Not in supermarkets, smaller stores, or even health shops.
    Not saying it definitely isn't here, could be I missed it, or it just wasn't in the particular places i've been in.

But I do get Avonmore - Protein Milk sometimes.
    Its low fat or whatever with high protein (compared to normal milk anyway)
    Had 200ml this morning which was 98cals, 10g carb, 10g protein, 2g fat.
    Is that similar to muscle milk?

Yea almost it's just protein like a meal replacement .. I think it taste great but a lot of calories..
  • justinarias07
    Options
    Muscle milk is low grade protein, you need something much higher in quality so you're body can digest it. Our clubs only sell the following: SFH, RxBars and Fuel for Fire. Look those up, not the cheapest but you will see some great results

I'll look it up thanks man..
  • justinarias07
    Options
    I've only tried the light chocolate one. It's decent on it's own but absolutely delightful when mixed in with coffee after a morning lifting session, turns it into a mock mocha shake

That sounds soooo good! Never would have thought of that..
  • tat2cookie
    tat2cookie Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    I had it for the first time the other day. I was in a pinch and needed something for lunch. It was horrible and left a nasty taste in my mouth. I couldn't finish it.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    It has carageenan in it doesn't it? Wouldn't touch it....
    Oh. And it stinks.
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    When I power lifted I used it as my primary protein supplement just because I could care less about the extra calories, sugar and fat now I won't touch it but love the taste of it. I mixed my own from a jug and probably went through a 100 two pound jugs in my life time. $23 for 2 pounds..

I don't know what low grade protein is please educate me I thought whet protein was just that whey protein..

I'll look it up thanks man..

• ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Oh. And it stinks.

Yeah that's my main issue with it too. I wouldn't call the protein "low grade." It's not like it's plant based or anything. But it's true that it's not not all whey protein (it has some milk protein too). So it's not as high grade as pure whey, but it's not terrible either.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,641 Member
    Options
    ahamm002 wrote: »
    Oh. And it stinks.

Yeah that's my main issue with it too. I wouldn't call the protein "low grade." It's not like it's plant based or anything. But it's true that it's not not all whey protein (it has some milk protein too). So it's not as high grade as pure whey, but it's not terrible either.

cue pictures of vegan bodybuilders...
  • totaldetermination
    totaldetermination Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    why is whey protein better ?
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I've been caught in a pinch, hungry and on my way to a workout, and needing a high protein drink. In my opinion, it was the best offering in my convenience store. I had the banana flavour. It worked.
  • calell83
    calell83 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I got it at Wal Mart by me and it wasn't too expensive. I mostly use it as a quick way to get in protein and some nutrients after excercise, especially when I jog/walk several miles. Since I mostly using it for calire intake, protein and not to gain weight I think it works for my needs.

If i get to the point where I want to start gaining muscle I would probably go with something different.
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    It obsorbs faster gets into the blood stream faster than say Casein protein
  • beachhouse758
    beachhouse758 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I love it because it's one of the few proteins that's not manufactured in a facility that processes nuts *and* it is not pea protein.
    Those are my two requirements: the nut free thing is a must and the pea protein dislike is because it makes me feel Ill.
    I usually buy the strawberry and mix it with frozen berries, chia and amazing grass super greens (supplement) and use it as an occasional meal replacement --better than a TV dinner or skipping meals, IMO.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Not a fan...I use Optimum Nutrition Whey Isolate.
  • LovelyIvy466
    LovelyIvy466 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I like it. It's not that expensive compared to other proteins and it tastes good. I get the cake batter flavor in muscle milk light and use it in my smoothies (mixed with frozen fruit, greek yogurt, pb2, almond milk, chia). They taste great, I get some protein, all is well.