HELP! Dietician's recommendation

Options
LFiestan
LFiestan Posts: 176 Member
Hello everyone,
I would like to know if this diet plan that my dietician recommended is right. It seems like something i cant follow coz it all looks too small and wont amount to 1600 calories like she tells me. I told her im doing weights and cardio at least 5-6 days a week and take 1200 cal as recommended by MFP. Ive been sticking to my usual diet for 1 month and have lost 3kg already. I went to the dietician hoping to learn more about what i should be eating to lose weight.

Heres the plan she gave me :
Breakfast - 1 egg (or 2 egg whites), 2 slice bread, 1 fruit, 1 cup low fat milk, salad
Lunch - 90g (meat, chicken, fish) 1 cup rice or 2 slice bread, salad (as much as i want)
snack- 1 fruit or 1 cup low fat milk
Dinner - 60g (meat, chicken, fish), 2 slice bread, 1 cup low fat milk. lots of salad

The thing is, she told me to stick to these foods for 2 months, i dont wanna be eating the same things everyday, would you? and if you notice the food from lunch to dinner is the same as well.
The way i see it, this doesnt even amout to 1600calories.

My diet depends on my days. When i dont do workouts i eat less or stick to 1200. On days when im working out, i tend to eat more at lunch particularly protein since i do weights, thus reaching to 1400-1600cal. This is how my meals like usually:

Breakfast - 1 cup oatmeal (with milk) or 1 egg and salad, tea with honey (or milk with sugar)
Lunch - 100g-140g fillet fish or 1 chicken legthigh (im not much into meat) + salad (with homemade honey mustard dressing, 1 tortilla wrap or 1cup rice
snacks - varies (nuts, sorbet, 1small muffin, fruit)
Dinner - salads+honey mustard, 80-140g tuna or any fish, 1 cup milk

btw, i usually bake my food or boil+steam them, she told me i east too much carbs, but in her plan, i see more carbs than what im taking. If you notice, her recommended protein is smaller than mine. i figured since im doing weights i should add more to protein, please correct me if im wrong on this.

Any thoughts, opinions, advice? Thanks

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    You're right. It is a stupid plan. You need more fat and oil. :) Perhaps reduce some carbs in order to eat whole eggs, regular fat milk, beef, pork, tuna, salmon, nuts, avocados.
    Boiling and steaming gets boring real fast. Try pan frying, baking, broiling, grilling.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Demand your money back :s
  • LFiestan
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    You're right. It is a stupid plan. You need more fat and oil. :) Perhaps reduce some carbs in order to eat whole eggs, regular fat milk, beef, pork, tuna, salmon, nuts, avocados.
    Boiling and steaming gets boring real fast. Try pan frying, baking, broiling, grilling.

ahaha thought so. I was thinking if i should follow her coz she is the dietician. I got discouraged when she gave me the plan lol. Ive tried that approach several years ago and it made me hungry everyday thus made me stop dieting. But now i know better.

So far ive reduced my carbs :) i use a bit of oil (coconut or olive) when i sautee my food :D and yes nuts and salmon almost always in my meal :D

Thanks

• LFiestan
    Options

Consultation is free (benefits of my work) thank goodness hehehe
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    LFiestan wrote: »

Consultation is free (benefits of my work) thank goodness hehehe

Aah! That's good :)

You can eat anything you want within your calorie goal. Aim for variety and focus on fresh produce, and you'll be fine.
  • isulo_kura
    isulo_kura Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Is she actually a registered Dietitian? Not a Nutritionist? There's a big difference
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    That's from a dietician?

for what goal?

it looks ridiculous to me, particularly for someone who is lifting
  • Merci4u
    Merci4u Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    It doesn't sound right. Maybe she had you confused with someone else?
  • LFiestan
    Options
    You can eat anything you want within your calorie goal. Aim for variety and focus on fresh produce, and you'll be fine.

Great, so far im doing things right and lately have substituted most of my carbs for salads makes me fuller :)

• mccanns725
    mccanns725 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Way too much bread in there! Weird plan. Glad you didn't pay for that.
  • LFiestan
    Options
    isulo_kura wrote: »
    Is she actually a registered Dietitian? Not a Nutritionist? There's a big difference

oh i have no idea, i trust that shes a certified dietician since theyre employed in a reputable hospital, but then again this hospital has had its share of doctors who couldnt even diagnose my simple ailment once ( like this Doctor, who doesnt know why have headaches and nausea, i later was told by a friend who was practicing medicine that all i needed were glasses, he was right, lol)
  • LFiestan
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    That's from a dietician?
    for what goal?
    it looks ridiculous to me, particularly for someone who is lifting

lol, i told her my aim was to lose weight, i told her ive been exercising (weights and cardio and burn up to 800cal) she said that was good, so when i questioned her about the plan, all she said was i continue to eat more salad, and if im hungry at night, i should eat just yogurt with honey.

oh and she said i should set a time to eat and stick to it. im ok with bfast and lunch but my dinner, i cant stick to the time since i usually come home at 8pm after gym. Is there suppose to be a difference?
  • LFiestan
    Options
    Merci4u wrote: »
    It doesn't sound right. Maybe she had you confused with someone else?

lol, first time to see her. last time i went to the dietician was over 8 yrs ago and her plan was almost the same plan as this one, thats why I had to ask here on MFP if its right or not.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    losing 6lb in a month wasn't good enough?
  • LFiestan
    Options
    mccanns725 wrote: »

I know! thats was my reaction too! especially when she told me that my original food intake has "too much carbs" ahahahha, now that i think about it, maybe thats why her plan reached 1600cal. i dont eat alot of bread for the reason that it doesnt get me full and 1 slice has like 90-120cal? ild rather eat 2 fillets of salmon lol
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    LFiestan wrote: »
    isulo_kura wrote: »

oh i have no idea, i trust that shes a certified dietician since theyre employed in a reputable hospital, but then again this hospital has had its share of doctors who couldnt even diagnose my simple ailment once ( like this Doctor, who doesnt know why have headaches and nausea, i later was told by a friend who was practicing medicine that all i needed were glasses, he was right, lol)

So you don't know.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options

Not according to the dietary guidelines. Urgh.
    I'm studying to be a dietician - I want the qualification but I don't want to work somewhere I need to follow those guidelines. Ridiculous.

OP - please eat more fat.... Go with your gut, you're questioning it, so you obviously don't agree with it (and rightly so). Either keep doing your own thing, or get a second opinion
  • LFiestan
    Options
    losing 6lb in a month wasn't good enough?

thats actually a month and 1 week :) when i went to the dietician (2 weeks ago) i wasnt losing much or so i thought. Turns out it was water weight and been packing muscles, i weighed myself last Saturday and realized ive lost another kilo :)

also, i was wondering what food they served me when i was admitted to the same hospital last year. i lost 5kg in 5 days just sleeping and staying in bed all day, so i figured i was probably missing something.
  • mmonaghan99
    mmonaghan99 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Yeah, her saying you eat too many carbs and then recommeding more is weird. And her plan has almost no fats which is not good for lifting. You need more protein and fat than that. And like you said, you end up going off the diet when you have to eat the same thing every day. If you get bored, if it feels like a "diet", it's not going to be sustainable. You need something you can stick to. I would go crazy trying her plan.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

Not according to the dietary guidelines. Urgh.
    I'm studying to be a dietician - I want the qualification but I don't want to work somewhere I need to follow those guidelines. Ridiculous.

OP - please eat more fat.... Go with your gut, you're questioning it, so you obviously don't agree with it (and rightly so). Either keep doing your own thing, or get a second opinion

Really. I know one studying too. Would you agree though that you do not have to count calories to lose weight. This person I know has got into a debate with me on why I count calories. I just laugh though. She preaches learning to eat intuitive eating. She also tries to preach about how people are not robots and CICO doesn't work like how people think.

You should of saw her face when I took out my food scale to weigh dinner? Priceless