HELP! Dietician's recommendation

Options
2»

Replies

• bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    I'm certainly not a registered dietitian, but that diet seems a little off. I'm not against bread or anything, but recommending 6 slices of bread in a day seems strange. If you have a specific carb goal to hit, there are much more varied and nutritious carb choices out there than just eating a ton of bread every day...

If it were me, I would not take her advice. But again, I'm not a medical professional. As mentioned above, you can eat whatever you want to lose weight, as long as you're in a calorie deficit. If you have more specific fitness goals, then you can adjust your macro settings as needed and eat foods that help you meet those macro goals. A lot of people like a 40/30/30 breakdown (40% carbs, 30% protein, 30% fat), but it's personal preference and really depends on what helps you feel best throughout the day. I set my macros pretty close to that and always focused on my protein first, fat second, and carbs third. :)
  • LFiestan
    LFiestan Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    LFiestan wrote: »
    isulo_kura wrote: »
    Is she actually a registered Dietitian? Not a Nutritionist? There's a big difference

oh i have no idea, i trust that shes a certified dietician since theyre employed in a reputable hospital, but then again this hospital has had its share of doctors who couldnt even diagnose my simple ailment once ( like this Doctor, who doesnt know why have headaches and nausea, i later was told by a friend who was practicing medicine that all i needed were glasses, he was right, lol)

So you don't know.

nope, i was hoping that this time around ild be getting a different opinion, but it turns out is the same plan that another dietician (from same hospital) recommended to me around 8 yrs ago.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    mccanns725 wrote: »
    Way too much bread in there! Weird plan. Glad you didn't pay for that.

Not according to the dietary guidelines. Urgh.
    I'm studying to be a dietician - I want the qualification but I don't want to work somewhere I need to follow those guidelines. Ridiculous.

OP - please eat more fat.... Go with your gut, you're questioning it, so you obviously don't agree with it (and rightly so). Either keep doing your own thing, or get a second opinion

Really. I know one studying too. Would you agree though that you do not have to count calories to lose weight. This person I know has got into a debate with me on why I count calories. I just laugh though. She preaches learning to eat intuitive eating. She also tries to preach about how people are not robots and CICO doesn't work like how people think.

You should of saw her face when I took out my food scale to weigh dinner? Priceless

Haha... No, I completely agree with tracking intake. There are many things that change your output, everyone is individual... But at the end of the day, you just need to put in less than you're using.
  • LFiestan
    Options

I'm studying to be a dietician - I want the qualification but I don't want to work somewhere I need to follow those guidelines. Ridiculous.

OP - please eat more fat.... Go with your gut, you're questioning it, so you obviously don't agree with it (and rightly so). Either keep doing your own thing, or get a second opinion

OMG u brought up guidelines. i remember she was looking thought a small booklet with some sort of guides and she was doing some calculations and asked me questions like if my period is regular or not, if ive got thyroid problems and etc. I thought that was strange, i guess she was sticking to whatever guides shes been taught.
  • LFiestan
    Options
    Yeah, her saying you eat too many carbs and then recommeding more is weird. And her plan has almost no fats which is not good for lifting. You need more protein and fat than that. And like you said, you end up going off the diet when you have to eat the same thing every day. If you get bored, if it feels like a "diet", it's not going to be sustainable. You need something you can stick to. I would go crazy trying her plan.

my diet has been experimental and ive been on and off coz back then i didnt have variety and didnt know what and how i should be eating. in 2008 i tried to follow a meal plan where i had to eat for lunch was onions, 1 can tuna and 3 crackers, almost no dinner or breakfast, then exercise for 1 hr. i did lose alot of water weight but after 3 months i quit lol.

AFter some research and finding MFP i started to hv more knowlege about what certain foods i should eat and calorie counting. This time, i learned how much fats and proteins are essential if im doing lifts. :smile:
  • r5d5
    r5d5 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm just playing devil's advocate...some in the nutrition field are all for getting 4 to 6 servings of grain a day (more or less depending on the person) because they find that grains are helpful for satiation, digestion, and energy, as opposed to getting all your carbohydrates from fruits and vegetables. Obviously nutrition is complicated, and I believe completely varies person to person, as we all have different needs and goals.
    If she is a "nutritionist" then she isn't exactly a professional. Anyone can get certified for that. Dieticians go to school to get educated in food health.
    Either way, honestly, it sounds like you said on your own personal plan you've been losing weight, and it sounds like you probably try to hit some macronutrients. So congrats on your success! Keep at it! I guess what you could take away from the woman's advice is that protein is good, and you can work some grains in your diet, if you want to :)
  • LFiestan
    Options

Really. I know one studying too. Would you agree though that you do not have to count calories to lose weight. This person I know has got into a debate with me on why I count calories. I just laugh though. She preaches learning to eat intuitive eating. She also tries to preach about how people are not robots and CICO doesn't work like how people think.

You should of saw her face when I took out my food scale to weigh dinner? Priceless

Intuitive eating? lol doesnt work on me. I stopped logging my calories for a year i think and just ate whatever, even thought i was eating right, but turns out there are some food that might be the same but one has more calorie than the other, get what i mean? lately ive been cooking my meals, that way i know whats in it.
  • jcow84
    jcow84 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    You asked about the dietitian recommending you eat at set times - I don't believe this makes any difference to calories ingested, but she could have been saying that to prevent mindless snacking. Some people need a cut off time to stop eating - but that's all mental and doesn't have anything to do with digestion.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options

Haha... No, I completely agree with tracking intake. There are many things that change your output, everyone is individual... But at the end of the day, you just need to put in less than you're using.

OK that is of course CICO but how does someone do this without counting calories. It can be done but its like a guessing game of how much to burn and how much you eat. BTW I have no problem counting and I am sure I will for this whole year.

• yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    LFiestan wrote: »

Intuitive eating? lol doesnt work on me. I stopped logging my calories for a year i think and just ate whatever, even thought i was eating right, but turns out there are some food that might be the same but one has more calorie than the other, get what i mean? lately ive been cooking my meals, that way i know whats in it.

Yup I weigh my foods and nothing is usually the same amount of grams. Even package bars I notice have more grams than what is on the nutrition facts.

• slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    That's a ridiculous plan. Was she young, a student perhaps? I took a bunch of nutrition and chemistry/anatomy courses a while back when I thought I wanted to be a dietitian. That plan sounds like day one homework! There are, of course, basic guidelines. And, if she works at a hospital she is going to follow them exactly. However, she should have given you options.

I will say that they recommend a lot of bread, and the guidelines for protein are only as high as 0.8 per kg of body weight (and that's the highest for very active people). Regardless, that is a lazy, unimaginative meal plan. Did she even ask you what you like?

If you want some solid nutrition advice for active people look up Leslie Bonci. She is my hero. She is the sports dietitian for the Pittsburgh Steelers (among many others). She also helped CREATE the sub-field of sports nutrition. You can google and find all sorts of guidelines and fact sheets for active people that she has created. She also wrote a couple of books and used to have a column at runners world. She is solid.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    My dietitians always offered small changes to my eating habits, like halving the calories in my snacks. None of them dared write up an entire food plan for me.

I went in with my diary.
  • kickassbarbie
    kickassbarbie Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    This is the problem with dietitians, nutritional advisors, personal trainers etc. Drives me f-ing insane! have hired and fired people like this myself including one who told me to eat 1000 calories and do 45mins of cardio a day a few years back. (I did lose weight but felt so ill.)

Just because someone's certified/insured does not mean they know what they are talking about! Really needs better regulation and checks to avoid advice like this being given out!
    (I did a few courses and found out I could be insured and practise... but do I? No! Because I don't feel I know enough yet to advise people on their diets when I could cause more harm than good.)

That is a ridiculous meal plan anyway, you sound like you know an awful lot more than your dietitian!!!! Good on you!