woke up to 5 extra lbs

Options
hey all, so every Sunday I weigh myself, just to gather my weekly weight loss... and Monday I can woken up thinking it was Sunday, and noticed I had randomly gained 5 extra lbs. I know weight fluctuation is normal, but I've never had it change that much. Any advice?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I can "gain" five pounds due to where I'm at in my menstrual cycle. Eating heavy meals or high sodium foods can also cause temporary weight gain.
  • daydreams_of_pretty
    daydreams_of_pretty Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Chill out. Stay the course. Accept that it's normal to have fluctuations. Ignore the scale. Eat at a deficit. Just be cool. B)
  • JenniDaisy
    JenniDaisy Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Is it just before your period?
    I've been known to gain 10lbs of water before my period.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Kayyi wrote: »
    hey all, so every Sunday I weigh myself, just to gather my weekly weight loss... and Monday I can woken up thinking it was Sunday, and noticed I had randomly gained 5 extra lbs. I know weight fluctuation is normal, but I've never had it change that much. Any advice?

You answered your own question.

My advice? Quit obsessing over individual data points and concern yourself with the overall, long-term trend line.
  • chamblisk
    chamblisk Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    What did you eat last? Has everything been moving through? What time of the month is it? Stick to your weekly weigh-in. It is less variable then the folly of daily weigh in. If you think you over ate, had a lot of salt, didn't "remove" the digestion left-overs, etc., etc. you can adjust today. But, as long as you see an over-all downward trend, don't sweat the daily stuff.
  • Allelito
    Allelito Posts: 179 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I can "gain" five pounds due to where I'm at in my menstrual cycle. Eating heavy meals or high sodium foods can also cause temporary weight gain.

Same here. First time this happened to me, I was confused but stayed patient because I KNEW I had been sticking to eating at a deficit so the weight will come off.
    And yup, it seems like I "gain weight" right before my period, so the day I got it, my weight dropped by over 3 pounds that morning.
    Might be something like that, or just a regular flunctuation. Don't worry!
  • fitfabforties
    fitfabforties Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    it's so annoying, I hear ya!!!!....yesterday morning I weighed 134.8lb....worked out in the morning, ate decent during the day, certainly not over 1500 calories, walked briskly for about an hour during the day, and woke up this morning to 136.7....WTH??....water retention?? glycogen in the muscles?? who knows???....there are a lot of factors that could account for the gain, just keep up with lots of water, measuring, weighing and logging accurately, stay active and it should drop off again very soon....you got this!!!
  • tesha_chandler
    tesha_chandler Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Like the others have said, periods can play a big role in weight. :) Also, if you have done a hard work out, your body will retain water to repair your sore muscles and I believe it can hold up to around 5 pounds. :) Please don't get discouraged.
  • sarahdinwoodie
    sarahdinwoodie Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    If you are doing a weight training program of any kind, when you build muscle you will likely gain a little weight. I know we all love to see the number on the scale go down, but I wouldn't worry too much about it. It's more about how you feel and when you look at yourself are you happy with what you see.
  • Justygirl77
    Justygirl77 Posts: 385 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    It is common, but not normal to have big weight fluctuations around menstruation. If a big weight fluctuation is only due to a period cycle, it's a hormonal imbalance. I find the scale to be a helpful indicator. If I gain 5 lbs all the sudden, I like to know why! If I eat a heavy carb, high sodium meal, well then I asked for it! If I didn't drink enough water and am now constipated, I'll weigh heavier and that is pretty easy to remedy. Yep, agree, weight training adds a little extra weight from sore muscles holding water.
  • amy8400
    amy8400 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Give it a couple days and reweigh. Fluctuations happen. If it still seems off, install fresh batteries. Weight loss can take days to register on a scale. Don't be discouraged.
  • amcook4
    amcook4 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Very common. After a sodium bomb of a day I "gained" 7 pounds overnight. As you already said, weight fluctuation is very normal
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    Chill out.

This advice is applicable to a large percentage of threads in this forum.
  • tberrycastle
    tberrycastle Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Water weight! Just wait it out...stay on track and it'll disappear in a few days just as surely as it appeared.
  • 07of09
    07of09 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I don't think you should worry too much about it. I co-sign with a lot of the other commenters on here - a five pound fluctuation could be caused by so many things: too much sodium in your diet that week which leads to more water retention, your menstrual cycle, some cold and flu medicines or allergy medications with steroids in them, even if you haven't had regular bowel movements.

Don't stress. If it really bothers you, tune back in with your body for the week, do a couple of days of detoxifying with some leafy green juices or smoothies, and focus on your longterm goals.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    07of09 wrote: »
    I don't think you should worry too much about it. I co-sign with a lot of the other commenters on here - a five pound fluctuation could be caused by so many things: too much sodium in your diet that week which leads to more water retention, your menstrual cycle, some cold and flu medicines or allergy medications with steroids in them, even if you haven't had regular bowel movements.

Don't stress. If it really bothers you, tune back in with your body for the week, do a couple of days of detoxifying with some leafy green juices or smoothies, and focus on your longterm goals.

Darn...you were doing so well until you fell into the derp in your last statement.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Kayyi wrote: »

Unless you ate 15,000 plus calories over your TDEE, I'd say that's pretty normal. :)
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    If it really bothers you, tune back in with your body for the week, do a couple of days of detoxifying with some leafy green juices or smoothies

No, just no. This is poor advice and 100% unnecessary.

• Justygirl77
    Justygirl77 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of green protein smoothies!