what are the best proteins?

Options
I'm not a big fan of cooking. The majority of my meals are tuna and egg whites. What else can give me a good amount of protein and taste good too?

Replies

• _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    Chicken, fish, pork, beef...take your pick. Outside of meat, there's eggs, cottage cheese, nut butters, whey protein, Greek yogurt, etc.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese, greek yogurt.

Most good protein you have to cook.
  • crazyjerseygirl
    crazyjerseygirl Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    There are full proteins (contains all the necc. Amino acids) and partial ones that only contain a few. If you prefer not to cook I'd suggest looking into the protein/calorie ratio of foods you can enjoy with minimal cooking. Cheese doesn't need melting, hummus rocks in tuna and beans and lentils are good for partial proteins. You need to cook them, but just to a boil. There are also lots of pre cooked chicken strips, sans breaking you just pop in the microwave. Tuna and eggs is a good start though!
  • nichole0483
    nichole0483 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    BFDeal wrote: »
    I'm not a big fan of cooking.
    Grow up and cook? It doesn't take that long and isn't that hard.

Hey thanks for that...best advise ever. Not.
  • nichole0483
    nichole0483 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I didn't say that I don't cook. I said I'm not a big fan of cooking. Thank you to the others who were being supportive and helpful.
  • mamaomefo
    mamaomefo Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Salmon, sausage, protein shakes, legumes, pepperoni, etc.
  • crazyjerseygirl
    Options
    Also, if you dislike cooking I suggest investing in a stock pot and googling recipes for it. Last week a popped a whole raw chicken in there with a bit of seasoning and onions and poof! Roast chicken at the end of the day! It's like MAGIC!
    Plus you can buy liners for the thing so you don't even have to clean it!
    Plus plus you can chuck the chicken bones back in there, fill with water and cook overnight for chicken stock. Strain out bones, toss in chopped veggies and bam. Soup.

It's seriously magic
  • beertrollruss
    beertrollruss Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    The first 3 posts pretty much cover your question. I would only add milk. Milk and eggs are the most complete proteins. Milk gets a bad rap, but a couple of cups of low fat or non fat should be okay in just about anyone's diet. The other milk's like almond or soy do not have complete proteins. Goat milk is pretty healthy but it's expensive. As far as powders, whey is best following a workout because it's quickly absorbed. Whey is also good 30-60 minutes before a workout. A blend or egg protein is good for meal replacement. Casein is good at night time if you're trying to build muscle. I'm not a big fan of cooking either but I'll do it once in a while.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    The first 3 posts pretty much cover your question. I would only add milk. Milk and eggs are the most complete proteins. Milk gets a bad rap, but a couple of cups of low fat or non fat should be okay in just about anyone's diet. The other milk's like almond or soy do not have complete proteins. Goat milk is pretty healthy but it's expensive. As far as powders, whey is best following a workout because it's quickly absorbed. Whey is also good 30-60 minutes before a workout. A blend or egg protein is good for meal replacement. Casein is good at night time if you're trying to build muscle. I'm not a big fan of cooking either but I'll do it once in a while.

Almond milk actually has very little protein of any sort.

And people who are eating a balanced diet usually don't have to worry about "complete" proteins. Our body has the ability to combine them out of the foods that we eat, so assuming we're eating more than a handful of things, we should be fine.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    The ones you like the taste of most, that still allow you to hit your other macros and micros.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Grow up and cook?

No need to be taking cheap shots like that.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options

Mr_Knight wrote: »
    Grow up and cook?

Well he could have probably put it a different way but he does have a point. If you "dont feel like cooking" then how are you going to be motivated to "train in the gym"?

I kinda agree with BFDeal.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt with protein powder in it. No cooking. Much protein.
  • crazyjerseygirl
    Options
    joejccva71 wrote: »
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    Grow up and cook?

Well he could have probably put it a different way but he does have a point. If you "dont feel like cooking" then how are you going to be motivated to "train in the gym"?

I kinda agree with BFDeal.

Yah, but you can use that argument on all sorts of things. Me? I've got limited patience for things I don't enjoy, so if I'm gonna do something I hate it better be worth it. Cooking drives me batty too! The trick is not to stoop to the lowest path around cooking (order in every day) or guilt yourself into doing something you hate (and will probably fail at keeping up) but to tread that middle ground of crock pots, pre cooked chicken and yummy fresh fruits/vegs.

I'm lazy in the kitchen so I have the mental fortitude to rock the gym.
  • TiffanyR71
    TiffanyR71 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I'm not a big fan of cooking. The majority of my meals are tuna and egg whites. What else can give me a good amount of protein and taste good too?

Keep in the yolks- much more protein & other goodies...
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Find five ingredient recipes that don't require a great deal of prep work. Learning to fry up chicken for instance, is super easy, doesn't take long, and saves loads of money at the till.

The George Foreman grill is pretty simple.

The slow cooker, too, great for chilies, soups and stews.

My opinion is that all the proteins are best. Variety is the spice of life and all that.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/emofly/foods-everyone-should-learn-to-cook

In the meantime, you can find pre-cooked chicken breast meat that you can add to...well, anything. There's the whole roast chicken you can pick up fairly cheaply. And roast beef from the deli. Ham steaks.
  • stacyjh1979
    stacyjh1979 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    My favorites are weight watchers lite string cheese 50 cal and 6g protein, Dannon light and fit greek yogurt 80 cal and 12g protein and Dean's lowfat cottage cheese 90 cal and 12g protein. Of course protein bars are always an option as well but two yogurts provide as much protein as the bar I used to eat and the yogurt IMO tastes better (my favorite is strawberry cheesecake). I don't cook much either if you want to feel free to friend me.
  • Jays1995
    Jays1995 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Shrimp...if you can afford it. Pure protein.
  • amy8400
    amy8400 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    If you're not a fan of cooking, I highly recommend a pressure cooker. Crock pots will do the same thing only take longer. I made beef burgundy over brown rice last night--10 minutes prep; 30 minutes cooking time. 1 pound of lean beef chunks, onions, carrots, red wine, 3 T. flour, 1 T. oil, no-sodium beef stock and spices. I just throw everything in. I only measure the flour and oil so I can keep to my logging accuracy.

Pressure cooker pork BBQ is amazing, too. I use Costco pork sirloin (a leaner cut so it's not as good as a pork shoulder or pork butt, but we're counting calories here so I have to compromise on the fat ;) and a bottle of the lowest calorie BBQ sauce I can find. Quickly braise sirloin in 1 T. oil in bottom of pressure cooker. Once you get a nice crust on the sides, add water until it covers the sides of the roast. Pour 1/3 bottle of the BBQ sauce on just to cover the top of roast. Pressure cook on high for about an hour. When done, remove the roast to a cookie sheet and shred with two forks. Return shredded pork to a pot, add remaining BBQ sauce and some water to thin it out. Cook on low for several minutes until tender. You might need additional BBQ sauce for added flavor. I use typically part of a second bottle because I do two small roasts at one time.

Both these dishes freeze beautifully. Make individual portions for your freezer and I guarantee you'll never buy Lean Cuisine again!