what are the best proteins?

Options
2»

Replies

• nichole0483
    nichole0483 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Also, if you dislike cooking I suggest investing in a stock pot and googling recipes for it. Last week a popped a whole raw chicken in there with a bit of seasoning and onions and poof! Roast chicken at the end of the day! It's like MAGIC!
    Plus you can buy liners for the thing so you don't even have to clean it!
    Plus plus you can chuck the chicken bones back in there, fill with water and cook overnight for chicken stock. Strain out bones, toss in chopped veggies and bam. Soup.

It's seriously magic

Oh wow...love this!!
  • nichole0483
    nichole0483 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    amy8400 wrote: »
    If you're not a fan of cooking, I highly recommend a pressure cooker. Crock pots will do the same thing only take longer. I made beef burgundy over brown rice last night--10 minutes prep; 30 minutes cooking time. 1 pound of lean beef chunks, onions, carrots, red wine, 3 T. flour, 1 T. oil, no-sodium beef stock and spices. I just throw everything in. I only measure the flour and oil so I can keep to my logging accuracy.

Pressure cooker pork BBQ is amazing, too. I use Costco pork sirloin (a leaner cut so it's not as good as a pork shoulder or pork butt, but we're counting calories here so I have to compromise on the fat ;) and a bottle of the lowest calorie BBQ sauce I can find. Quickly braise sirloin in 1 T. oil in bottom of pressure cooker. Once you get a nice crust on the sides, add water until it covers the sides of the roast. Pour 1/3 bottle of the BBQ sauce on just to cover the top of roast. Pressure cook on high for about an hour. When done, remove the roast to a cookie sheet and shred with two forks. Return shredded pork to a pot, add remaining BBQ sauce and some water to thin it out. Cook on low for several minutes until tender. You might need additional BBQ sauce for added flavor. I use typically part of a second bottle because I do two small roasts at one time.

Both these dishes freeze beautifully. Make individual portions for your freezer and I guarantee you'll never buy Lean Cuisine again!

This is also great thanks. I'm going to try it this weekend :)
  • harpsdesire
    harpsdesire Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I simply cook a bunch of chicken breasts one night when I have more energy (just put them in a pan, season, bake for about 30 min depending on size). Then I let them cool, slice and weigh the meat, and all week I can toss it into salads, reheat, etc.