sell me on your heart rate monitor

I had a Polar FT 4 but the watch band is misaing. I decided to get a Fitbit charge (no HR) as it was available at Costco. It works fine but I hate that I get no extra encouragement for running upstairs versus walking and whether I give 50% to my cardio workout or 150%. What device is best for these? I honestly could care less about sleep monitoring or caller id.

Replies

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    edited April 2015
    What is your goal with the HR monitor? What do you want it to tell you? In all honesty, I would just get a band for the FT4 you already have. It does fine at measuring heart rate for training purposes.
  • AmandaDawnRN
    AmandaDawnRN Posts: 29 Member
    That is likely what I will do. I thought the fitbit would be more than a step counter. I like the idea of new technology but the Polar ratings say it all.
  • AmandaDawnRN
    AmandaDawnRN Posts: 29 Member
    Does anyone know if I can just get a watch (mine is missing) and will it work with you coded transmitter is have?
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    I quit using my heart rate monitor. It just lays there in the closet collecting dust.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    _Waffle_ wrote: »
    I quit using my heart rate monitor. It just lays there in the closet collecting dust.
    I only use them on long (50 mile or more) cycling rides or 10K and above runs, only because I have trouble pacing myself. For all else, they seem rather pointless for me.

• _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Hornsby wrote: »
    _Waffle_ wrote: »
    I only use them on long (50 mile or more) cycling rides or 10K and above runs, only because I have trouble pacing myself. For all else, they seem rather pointless for me.
    Mine is okay but I go more on how I feel and work in keeping the pace constant. Those things can cut you to the bone during the summer when you're really sweaty and it's humid. That strap just cuts down to the sternum till you bleed.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    I use mine all the time because otherwise I let ego rule, I run too hard, and I stalemate my training progress.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    edited April 2015
    I went with a Wahoo Tickr X because I was sold on the extra data it captured besides just heart rate, such as cadence and XYZ axis movements on runs to give a "running efficiency" indication (calculated by them, but still indicates if you can improve). The other factor was that I did not have to pair it to anything to record a run (although would only get HRM data) and could transmit the data later to a device wirelessly. Had I been able to spend a LOT more money I would have gone with a top of the line Garmin watch and accessories that can tell you pretty much everything except a DNA analysis (at least I don't think they have that yet).

ETA - To get the cadence and form data with the Wahoo Tickr X you have to use their Wahoo Fitness App. This app is supposed to be great on iOS, but mixed results on Android devices. With my Samsung Galaxy 5s the app crashes about 1 out of every 3 uses and does not record a full run. So I don't use the app. Yeah, I'm a bit miffed. But it is a good HMR that will pair with the other apps no problem.
  • Moriarty_697
    Moriarty_697 Posts: 226 Member
    I love mine. It lets me know when I'm working too hard or not hard enough. I splurged a few years ago and bought a garmin watch. It was expensive but it makes tracking my exercise so much easier.

For those who hate the chest strap, look at the Scosche Rhythm+ strap. It's an armband that is just as accurate as a chest strap but far more comfortable. Even better, it's both ant+ and bluetooth compatible, so it works with watches like my Garmin and also with smartphones. I've used it with my watch and also with my iphone and it does a good job with both. The downside is I don't think Polar watches are ant+ compatible so you might be out of luck for using it with your FT4.
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,802 Member
    I have the Polar Loop and love it. It's like a cross between a fitbit and a HRM. If your current HR band has bluetooth it will work with Loop!
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    I only use my HRM with a Garmin GPS watch for two things: optimising my workouts in training, and helping me with pace management on long runs and "races".

Pushing myself when I need to, and taking it easy when I don't, isn't impossible without the HRM + Garmin ... I'd done it by feel when I was a younger and competitive runner, but I have to say the combo is helping me train smarter and I am seeing results.

I don't see myself using it for any other fitness activities but cycling and running make up a large percentage of my workouts and fun.