Your favorite comfort foods made healthy !

Options

Replies

• yourstrulynancy
    yourstrulynancy Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I love mashed potatoes smothered in gravy. Turns out I can make a damned good gravy out of chicken broth and mushrooms and just a dash of cornstarch; and use mashed cauliflower with just a few tbsp. of potato flakes for a pretty satisfying version. Note the deliberate lack of butter. I have never liked butter in my mashed potatoes.

Mashed cauliflower that's sounds yummy have u tried baked cauliflower with milk butter and skin mozzarella it's like a casserole very yummy will try your version thank u!!
  • yourstrulynancy
    Options
    I made this chocolate protein bars recipe that I found from someone following the Jamie Eason LiveFit plan and they are amazing....like brownies fresh from the oven. Oh my gosh...oh so good. I have to keep myself from eating the whole pan too quickly.
    You should sooo make a thread and post this recipe sounds like a wonderful alternative to us chocloate lovers !! Looking forward to that recipie on a thread
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    OP you lost me when you said you love turkey bacon. Next thing you will be trying to tell me that mashed frozen bananas taste better than ice cream.

I'm with the "find ways to fit in the foods you love without making radical substitutions" crowd. The doesn't mean eat it all day every day - it just means that I see nothing wrong or unhealthy with regular lasagna, regular bacon, regular ice cream.

There are some people who have trigger foods that cause them to binge. I've never been one of those people, so for me, portion control and making choices to allow me to still eat all the same foods I did previously was a fairly obvious solution.

Good luck.

• yourstrulynancy
    Options
    Kruggeri wrote: »
    OP you lost me when you said you love turkey bacon. Next thing you will be trying to tell me that mashed frozen bananas taste better than ice cream.

I'm with the "find ways to fit in the foods you love without making radical substitutions" crowd. The doesn't mean eat it all day every day - it just means that I see nothing wrong or unhealthy with regular lasagna, regular bacon, regular ice cream.

There are some people who have trigger foods that cause them to binge. I've never been one of those people, so for me, portion control and making choices to allow me to still eat all the same foods I did previously was a fairly obvious solution.

Good luck.
    Umm nooo I won't b telling u frozen bannannas will replace ice cream me sharing that I like turkey bacon doesn't mean much one strip or two in a salad doesn't hurt that just my opinion as u surely are entitled to yours and yea I am one of those ppl that will stress eat or over eat which is why I look to substitute things but to each its own thanks for sharing :-)
  • kgmcgee
    kgmcgee Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I love mashed potatoes smothered in gravy. Turns out I can make a damned good gravy out of chicken broth and mushrooms and just a dash of cornstarch; and use mashed cauliflower with just a few tbsp. of potato flakes for a pretty satisfying version. Note the deliberate lack of butter. I have never liked butter in my mashed potatoes.

Mashed cauliflower that's sounds yummy have u tried baked cauliflower with milk butter and skin mozzarella it's like a casserole very yummy will try your version thank u!!

Have you tried the cauliflower "rice". It is similar to rice but it is yummy in it's own right. I like it because it's very filling and has very few calories. I just put some in my food processor and then cook it with a little bit of coconut oil. Nummers!

• CandiceMcD
    CandiceMcD Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I tried the turkey bacon thing, but for just a few more calories (and less sodium!) you can have low sodium or center cut bacon. Which is still bacon! Just without the super fatty parts that I generally don't eat anyway. I don't like that wobbly texture.

I will still eat things like ice cream - but I never keep it in the house. We will go for an extra long walk on Saturday, then go out and get a cone.

That zucchini lasagna looks awesome, I am going to make that. Zucchini is one of the veggies my boyfriend will actually eat.
  • keelyjrs
    keelyjrs Posts: 62 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    My favourite snack at the moment which I have for breakfast too is ryvita crispbread with almond butter and chopped banana on top. Omg it's heaven!!
  • yourstrulynancy
    Options
    keelyjrs wrote: »
    My favourite snack at the moment which I have for breakfast too is ryvita crispbread with almond butter and chopped banana on top. Omg it's heaven!!

Sound yummy will try
  • yourstrulynancy
    Options
    CandiceMcD wrote: »
    I tried the turkey bacon thing, but for just a few more calories (and less sodium!) you can have low sodium or center cut bacon. Which is still bacon! Just without the super fatty parts that I generally don't eat anyway. I don't like that wobbly texture.

I will still eat things like ice cream - but I never keep it in the house. We will go for an extra long walk on Saturday, then go out and get a cone.

That zucchini lasagna looks awesome, I am going to make that. Zucchini is one of the veggies my boyfriend will actually eat.
    Please do try mayb add your own spin on it maybe different veggies and post please when u make
  • keelyjrs
    Options
    I gotta try those brownies and the lasagne yum!
  • yourstrulynancy
    Options
    keelyjrs wrote: »
    I gotta try those brownies and the lasagne yum!
    Right the brownies im still waiting for that recipe and if u make it please post a picture I would love to see
  • keelyjrs
    Options
    Ok will do, you too
  • CandiceMcD
    CandiceMcD Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    oh and if you like eggplant, this actually comes out awesome....if you use shiratake noodles instead of pasta, you save a LOT of calories. If you don't like the shiratake noodles, then the spiraled zucchini is awesome too.

http://www.cookinglight.com/eating-smart/recipe-makeovers/healthy-eggplant-parmesan-recipes
  • noclady1995
    noclady1995 Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    I made this chocolate protein bars recipe that I found from someone following the Jamie Eason LiveFit plan and they are amazing....like brownies fresh from the oven. Oh my gosh...oh so good. I have to keep myself from eating the whole pan too quickly.
    You should sooo make a thread and post this recipe sounds like a wonderful alternative to us chocloate lovers !! Looking forward to that recipie on a thread

Here is the link to her recipe: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/video-jamie-eason-chocolate-protein-bars.htm

You can add a few tbsp's of dark chocolate or sugar free chocolate chips (I did!)...so good!!
  • virginiemeira
    virginiemeira Posts: 1 Member
    Options

Hey you're right but see when you're like me and you're used to eating watever u want however u want and not having to worry about weight that was me before now I had a baby and I was in bed rest for a high risk pregnancy everything I knew about my body changed just liek that so although reg lanasga doesn't have to be unhealthy it also about portions with the eggplant lasnaga I can have two servings and feel full and still not go over my calorie intake as in the reg lasnaga well let's just say two pieces the way I make it organically is just way too much
    Thank u for ur reply though It's nice to see other views [/quote]

I love lasagna too, it's my fav food. But the bolognese one, i mean, that's the real lasagna for me :) and i don't think it is healtless than eggplant lasagna, it's the same thing you just switch meat with vegies. A little more carbs and prots, but i can't imagine such big difference. Same for the pizzas (exepting the frosting ones that you buy on the supermarket), its bread, tomatoe, some cheese, you can switch the normal hamb buy turkey, and some vegies.

I am trying to eat healthy, my problem it's that I don't like most of the "healthy meals" like eggplant lasagna :), I need pasta and meat. And that's horrible, i am on my first week and will kill for some pizza or lasagna, i am not a really good cook and not even have time to spend on the kitchen. So I basically make some salade (carrots, tomatoes .etc..) with a piece of white meat, but i never feel full, and 1hour later i want to eat again.

I am not even fat, I am 1,67 and do 61kg, but I have taken some "fats" that I want to loose, and I really want to gain better food habbits...but boy it's arsh..I was frustrates all week for not eating what I want and what I like, and never feel satisfaid.

• hollyrayburn
    hollyrayburn Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    My favorite comfort food is a chik-fila fried chicken sandwich with ketchup and mayonaise, and extra pickes, a large waffle fry, and a sweet tea with lemon.

And I just......have it when I crave it.
  • mygnsac
    mygnsac Posts: 13,413 Member
    Options
    I've come to enjoy alternative to the usual condiments on sandwiches. I still enjoy mayo and/or mustard now and then, but I also enjoy alternatives...mash up some beans with a little salsa and use as a spread; roast veggies and put in fridge, then add them to sandwiches for added flavor; use baked sweet potato as a spread (I like sweet and savory flavor combos); mashed up avocado; avocado mashed with a little salsa; guacamole; tzatziki; baba ghanoush; etc. I don't often try to recreate comfort foods. I just don't eat them as often and watch portion sizes.
  • tat2cookie
    tat2cookie Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    I use zucchini, sweet potato noodles or spaghetti squash in the place of regular noodles. Cauliflower in place of macaroni in mac & cheese. And I use cauliflower in the place of potatoes in potato salad. I "bread" things with almond meal instead of bread crumbs.
  • yourstrulynancy
    edited April 2015
    Options
    tat2cookie wrote: »
    I use zucchini, sweet potato noodles or spaghetti squash in the place of regular noodles. Cauliflower in place of macaroni in mac & cheese. And I use cauliflower in the place of potatoes in potato salad. I "bread" things with almond meal instead of bread crumbs.
    Thanks this is great feed back I never thought of cauliflower replacing Mac and cheese
  • sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    I love to dive into a big plate of chicken nachos at a Mexican restaurant. You know, dripping with cheese.

I make them at home so that I can measure the chips and measure the cheese. It's still the same basic concept (no magical substitutions), but if I cook it at home I control the oil used in "grilling" the chicken and I can cut down on the amount of cheese so that everything's not drenched. It's not quite as good but it satisfies my craving beautifully. I haven't eaten at a Mexican restaurant in ages, and it used to be a weekly thing.