How do you stay consistent?

Options
Hey guys!
I'm really terrible at staying consistent. I can do so good for like a week or two, and then as soon as I get a taste of something off my plan, I have a hard time getting back on board.
I've been working on making my diet more sustainable (finally incorporating carbs back into my diet) but it seems like as soon as I commit to it I start thinking about all these foods I can no longer eat, naturally making me want to eat them even more.

How do you guys stay accountable? Any tips or tricks to help keep you on track when the cravings roll around?

(no need to mention "tracking calories", that much is a given!)

Replies

• bluworld
    bluworld Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    What foods can't you eat? Why
  • rosehips60
    rosehips60 Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    Why are there foods you can't eat? I eat what I want and make it fit in my day, that's how I stay consistent
  • bluworld
    bluworld Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I mean, I get not having a fully loaded tub o' junk with whipped topping everyday. But, could you have a cup o'junk, or healthy choice with whipped topping, ect?
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    Don't buy/get near/put in your mouth things which are off your plan!

I don't really have this issue. Not eating out much helps. Not drinking much helps too.
  • shrinkingletters
    shrinkingletters Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    I stay on track by making space for a treat after dinner every night. Be it a small cookie, a nib of dark chocolate, and when I can swing it, a glass of wine or a beer.

I find that making certain things "off limits" basically ruins everything for me. I start focusing on that one thing I "can't have" and the entire day is a struggle around it.
  • kaittea
    kaittea Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Well the basics. Icecream, pizza, etc. I understand there are healthy alternatives to these things but when I go off my diet it's usually when I'm out at dinner or my boyfriend really wants something so we get it. I have tried moderation but frankly I have a really hard time with it.
  • Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    I found that by logging and budgeting my calories and macros I was making better choices to achieve my goals, the I can't have it attitude changed to I don't want it. Now it's just habit.
  • VanillaGorillaUK
    VanillaGorillaUK Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    The game changer is realising you can eat anything. I didn't believe it either, until I tried it for one week and still lost weight.

Long story short, track your calories and eat crap when you really want it - just don't go over the calories.
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    I don't have any foods that I stay away from. All the foods that I want, I try to make them fit into my daily calories. Just today I went Mcdonald's for some breakfast (pastries and coffee). That's what has helped me stick to losing weight this time around... I don't have that mentality that there are bad foods or good foods... although I admit, I did start out exactly that way. Just keep in mind that whatever you decide to eat, to fit it into your daily calories. :flowerforyou:
  • kaittea
    Options
    I've tried that mentality of just fitting it into my calories, but it's usually the unplanned "hey let's go out with the guys and grab some wings" or anything spur of the moment that I didn't plan into my day that really throws me off. I'm very "all or nothing", so when even one part of my day isn't as scheduled, it really throws me off. I definitely want to try and let go of this all or nothing attitude.
  • tjcalley
    tjcalley Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    KlLLEmALL wrote: »
    The game changer is realising you can eat anything. I didn't believe it either, until I tried it for one week and still lost weight.

Long story short, track your calories and eat crap when you really want it - just don't go over the calories.

This helped me tremendously! I fit in whatever I want to eat as long as it fits into my calories for the day. I don't feel "deprived" and it makes sticking to logging my food so much easier
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    Options
    To be consistent you have to find something that is truly sustainable...

There are a lot of things I eat a whole lot less of than I used to, but I don't have a "can't" have it list. I eat pizza...just not all of the time. We have family pizza night every couple of weeks and I look forward to it...my wife and I order a small pie and we have a couple slices...no biggie.

When I first started I just worried about the calories and hitting those targets...I didn't worry about trying to completely change my dietary habits overnight...changing my overall dietary habits has been a long (almost 3 year) journey...if you really think you're just going to be able to flip a switch overnight, I think you're in for a rude awakening.
  • Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    The difference between success and failure is how you deal with the unplanned.

You can either elect to
    A. Not go
    B. Go and exceed your calorie goal.
    C. Go and stick to your calorie goal, focus on the spending time with your friends aspect.
  • VanillaGorillaUK
    VanillaGorillaUK Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    kaittea wrote: »
    I've tried that mentality of just fitting it into my calories, but it's usually the unplanned "hey let's go out with the guys and grab some wings" or anything spur of the moment that I didn't plan into my day that really throws me off. I'm very "all or nothing", so when even one part of my day isn't as scheduled, it really throws me off. I definitely want to try and let go of this all or nothing attitude.

You don't have to eat the same calories everyday, eat less some days, save them up for a night out. You will have to let go of it, be aware of how many calories your eating, so you don't go overboard.
  • ashdawg8790
    ashdawg8790 Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    Have you tried tracking on a weekly basis rather than a daily one? That helps me ever so much! That way, if I go over on Tuesday, I can skim just a bit off maybe Wednesday and Friday (so I don't starve to death on Thursday!) and and it ends up evening out at the end? I know how you mean "all or nothing" - I can be that way sometimes, and my husband is that way ALL the time. It's a work in progress to not feel like you've ruined your whole life if you unexpectedly go out to eat!! Perhaps you could try getting a smaller portion while you're out or save half for the next day and get some yummy veggies to go with so you're not so hungry. There are tons of options, it's just trial and error until you find what will work for you. :)
  • 85kurtz
    85kurtz Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    kaittea wrote: »
    Hey guys!
    I'm really terrible at staying consistent. I can do so good for like a week or two, and then as soon as I get a taste of something off my plan, I have a hard time getting back on board.
    I've been working on making my diet more sustainable (finally incorporating carbs back into my diet) but it seems like as soon as I commit to it I start thinking about all these foods I can no longer eat, naturally making me want to eat them even more.

How do you guys stay accountable? Any tips or tricks to help keep you on track when the cravings roll around?

(no need to mention "tracking calories", that much is a given!)

Sometimes I feel the need for crisps. I really crave the salt in them and nothing else will do. So if I feel that way I walk to the shop (about 2k from my house) all the while thinking about my goals. You know what? Nine times out of ten I just turn right around and come home without those crisps. I feel so good then and if I do buy and eat the crisps, then at least I have had some exercise as well.

• rocknroll667
    rocknroll667 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    rosehips60 wrote: »
    Why are there foods you can't eat? I eat what I want and make it fit in my day, that's how I stay consistent

Exactly. Had a huge korean feast planned for this past Tuesday night. Knew it was going to be about 600 calories. By 9 am I had logged it in MFP so I could look at it and crave it allll day long. I fit in my calories around it. Planned ahead baby!!! Was I hungry 2 hours after lunch???! YES. But I chugged water, had my mid afternoon snack and reminded myself I'm not gonna die .....I'm going to feast later.

I ate so fast.
  • cmcdonald525
    cmcdonald525 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I find that making certain things "off limits" basically ruins everything for me. I start focusing on that one thing I "can't have" and the entire day is a struggle around it.

This was my problem too. My first time around here ended in failure because I would obsess over the things I couldn't have.

I am the only one in my family trying to lose weight, and my husband does the same thing. Every once in a while he'll want to go out to eat or have a few drinks. I look up the menu to see what will fit in my day. That way I can plan ahead. I also like to save most of my calories for dinner, so I eat lightly throughout the day and have a large portion at night. That helps for those unplanned outings.
  • kaittea
    Options
    Some good ideas, thanks!! I think my problem is just lack of habit at this point. I need to really stick to something for 21 days or so and I'm sure by then I won't have nearly as much of an issue saying no to temptation.

• Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    I stay consistent by not giving foods a back story and personality.

Broccoli isn't some doctor who volunteers for doctors with out boarders.

McDonald's isn't some leader of a rogue nation with nuclear capabilities.

Foods aren't good and bad so there aren't foods I don't eat. So I don't get to a breaking point and then snap and eat four large Easter eggs for breakfast.

If it's something you want to eat find a way to include it. Have a small portion or limit it to once a week.