How often do you weigh yourself

Options
Just started on mfp on my 4th day and not sure when to do my first weigh in as I'm itching to see if there has been a loss already. So how often do you guys weigh yourselves?

Replies

• NeverGiveUpKMV
    NeverGiveUpKMV Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I normally go every other day. Remember to do it at the same time every day, and in the same clothing- or lack of clothing :smile:
    I know every other day is a lot, but it helps to keep me accountable. You could go with once a week to start with :blush:
    Good luck!
  • geotrice
    geotrice Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I do every day that's just me. But if you're just starting out, most people (and I) would recommend to do it weekly at the same time like first thing in the morning. Lots of ups and downs if you do it daily and it's often unrelated to anything you ate or exercised off. But I like the way it makes the graph look.
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I've been a daily weigh-er for the past three years-throughout my weight loss phase and now in maintenance.
  • CherryDoll66
    CherryDoll66 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I do it weekly around the same time and with almost nothing on :)
  • JoJo61612
    JoJo61612 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I generally weight every day or when I feel like I may have lost
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    Just started on mfp on my 4th day and not sure when to do my first weigh in as I'm itching to see if there has been a loss already. So how often do you guys weigh yourselves?

I weigh myself weekly. Same time and day each week. Friday morning.

I find people who weigh them selves too often like daily become obsessed and freak out because they gained .2 or 1 kg when it is just the normal weight fluctuation.

I'm not saying all people who weigh daily become weird but I think I have seen enough posts of people complaining that they have gained or not lost and when you ask you find out they are talking about their weight over 2-3 days.
  • beaniek
    beaniek Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Once a week on Saturday mornings at W.W :smiley:
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Once a week every Saturday morning. Although I have skipped a week before because I knew I made a lot of poor eating choices and didn't want to see the scale until I had set myself straight ;)
    If I weigh in the middle of the week, I pretty much have a mental breakdown seeing a gain, even though I KNOW it fluctuates, sometimes I guess I just like to torture myself.
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    Everyday because the data is good to have and is a great way to learn about weight fluctuation. It seems to me that the people that freak out about fluctuations are the ones that only weigh once per week. But no data points on the hypothesis.
  • Michaelseastman
    Michaelseastman Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have to go every week. Daily was fun some days (Oo, I dropped 2 pounds since yesterday), but frustrating others (how have I gained .5 pounds when I only ate 1000 calories?). When you do it that often, I find you aren't really getting an accurate reflection of what you're doing. Weight fluctuations lead you to unrealistic goals (I dropped 2 pounds in a day, I can do that every day and lose 10 pounds by Friday) or unneeded frustrations. Weekly you're more likely to see a realistic drop that is noticeable and motivational.
  • hsmith0930
    hsmith0930 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily because the fluctuations don't get me down or anything. Just reminds me to keep working hard to get the scale to move in the direction I want.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Daily.

Without daily weigh-in's my graph wouldn't look like a fun roller coaster ride:
    03yygfnavem3.jpg

That and it's the overall trend that is important:
    yoj5l80bbzsy.jpg
    • black dots = scale readings
    • red line = trend
  • weightliftingbarbie
    weightliftingbarbie Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Every Friday morning :)
  • LisaHMac72
    LisaHMac72 Posts: 1,940 Member
    Options
    Daily lol. You really should do it once a week so you don't drive yourself bonkers
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    lisareport wrote: »
    Daily lol. You really should do it once a week so you don't drive yourself bonkers

This actually depends on the person. If I weighed once a week and ended up landing on a high fluctuation day, well that would drive me bonkers because I wouldn't know. Weighing daily allows me to see if it's just a freak high day or if I'm actually gaining weight (in which case things need to be reevaluated).
  • ogmomma2012
    ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I like weighing every morning because it helps me remember that weight fluctuates.
  • Kirstincarnage
    Kirstincarnage Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Usually every other day for me, first thing in the morning.
  • krissyreminisce
    krissyreminisce Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Once a week on Sundays.
  • DebzNuDa
    DebzNuDa Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Every day - wake up, pee, take off clothes, weigh. I have a medical reason and have to watch the water in my body but I understand the fluctuations for the medical reason vs. my goal weight.