Strength added as exercise

Options
why doesn't strength training (weight lifting) count in the calculation of daily caloric intake? I only see that cardio is taken into the equation...

Replies

• mun1974
    mun1974 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem.. It's not registering my strength training calorie intake too - Any ideas welcomed.
  • notnikkisixx
    notnikkisixx Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Because strength training isn't a major calorie burner.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    If only there were a help link on the top of every page that had answers to questions .....

https://myfitnesspal.desk.com/customer/portal/articles/11170-why-don-t-you-calculate-calories-burned-for-strength-training-
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Options

I suggest you go look at the studies before saying strength training isn't a major calorie burner.
  • lgestwicki
    lgestwicki Posts: 3 Member
    Options

Thanx bryanpperkins! Didn't have to be a smart a**

• blossomingbutterfly
    blossomingbutterfly Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    There's an option under the cardio section to choose "strength training". I hear that the calories burned that it logs is over estimated though. You can log it that way if you want to see it as part of your calories for the day.
  • IvanOcampo
    IvanOcampo Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Strength training is very personal. How many calories you burn will depend on so many variables (down to how much you weigh on that particular day, how much rest you take between sets, etc..)
    Cardio is similarly subjective, and I dare to say that the calories this app says you've 'burned' during any given session could be off by anywhere between +/- 200 calories.
    Still, it's there as an arbitrary number, which is good enough for most people.

Similarly, weight training burns most of its calories once you leave the gym, throughout the day.
    Cardio, not so much.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options

I suggest you go look at the studies before saying strength training isn't a major calorie burner.

Did.

It's not.
  • piperdown44
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »

Did.

It's not.

Well, 8.83+-1.55 kcal-min for weights versus 9.48+-1.3 kcal-min treadmill is not that significant. Especially considering the continued elevation in cal burning after a weight session, something that does not happen with aerobics.
    So 30 mins weight is ~265 and aerobics at 30 mins is ~285.

• Mr_Knight
    Options
    Yeah, good luck with that.
  • piperdown44
    Options

Good luck with what?
  • Mr_Knight
    edited April 2015
    Options

Good luck with what?

Your numbers.

Cheers.
  • brianpperkins
    Options

Did.

It's not.

Well, 8.83+-1.55 kcal-min for weights versus 9.48+-1.3 kcal-min treadmill is not that significant. Especially considering the continued elevation in cal burning after a weight session, something that does not happen with aerobics.
    So 30 mins weight is ~265 and aerobics at 30 mins is ~285.

Are you actually claiming that EPOC doesn't happen after cardio?
  • piperdown44
    Options
    Ah.
    Well I've found that weights or hiit burns more for me than cardio does.
  • brianpperkins
    Options
    Ah.
    Well I've found that weights or hiit burns more for me than cardio does.

When did "for me" become a substitute for the scientific method?
  • piperdown44
    Options
    The numbers I used came from http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25162652
  • brianpperkins
    Options

" Nine recreationally active men " .... "These data suggest that individuals can burn more calories performing an HIIT session with an HRS than spending the same amount of time performing a steady-state exercise session" (if you can do the HIIT for as long as steady state, it isn't HIIT).

It's amazing what you can find when you actually read the abstract and understand what it means.
  • piperdown44
    Options

" Nine recreationally active men " .... "These data suggest that individuals can burn more calories performing an HIIT session with an HRS than spending the same amount of time performing a steady-state exercise session" (if you can do the HIIT for as long as steady state, it isn't HIIT).

It's amazing what you can find when you actually read the abstract and understand what it means.

Which is why I didn't use those numbers.
    Pop over to scientific studies on pub med. My original response was to someone claiming weight lifting didn't burn a significant amount of calories. It does burn a significant amount of calories. The same as aerobics for equal time probably not but that's not what I was replying to. Just pointing out that you can burn a good amount of cals while lifting weights.

• brianpperkins
    Options

Pop over to scientific studies on pub med. My original response was to someone claiming weight lifting didn't burn a significant amount of calories. It does burn a significant amount of calories. The same as aerobics for equal time probably not but that's not what I was replying to. Just pointing out that you can burn a good amount of cals while lifting weights.

I can't make up that level of contradiction of one's own posts. Good night.
  • piperdown44
    Options

I can't make up that level of contradiction of one's own posts. Good night.

Not sure where you're getting a contradiction but have a good evening.