Non fat greek yogurt

Options
2»

Replies

• AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I second tzatziki. ...mix a cup of plain yogurt with some diced and seeded cucumber and a very finely chopped clove of garlic. You can add salt but I usually dont. Let it sit in the fridge several hours or until the next day. It's the sauce used on gyros.

I still eat a type of gyro by using chicken breast for the meat and a josephs pita bread and the sauce, onion, more cucumber, tomato sometimes

Eta : I also put a little dill in my tzatziki but I'm not sure if that is the traditional way.
  • funjen1972
    funjen1972 Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    Add a drizzle of honey & its amazing! I also use it in coleslaw and as a topping or dip for veggies or as a sour cream substitute.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    It's not a very good substitute for chocolate unfortunately....

I like yoghurt with fruit and a little granola for crunch. I often mix protein powder in to plain yogurt to sweeten it and add some flavour, although I don't mind it plain.

Blend it with fruit to make an icecream/sorbet substitute.

Mix with tahini and herbs and spices, or sweet chilli sauce to make a dressing.
  • NicoleMcQuillen
    Options
    It's not a very good substitute for chocolate unfortunately....

I like yoghurt with fruit and a little granola for crunch. I often mix protein powder in to plain yogurt to sweeten it and add some flavour, although I don't mind it plain.

Blend it with fruit to make an icecream/sorbet substitute.

Mix with tahini and herbs and spices, or sweet chilli sauce to make a dressing.

• mathandcats
    mathandcats Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I replace sour cream with it, including in baking. You can make yummy dips out of it too - e.g. greek yogurt and peanut butter, dip veggies and fruit in it.

Mostly, I eat it with a few additions and not as a substitute for anything. My current favourite is with PB2 and jam mixed in. Tasty "PB & J" breakfast. If you don't mind making it higher calorie, I'm sure regular PB would be tastier.
  • rcontr7
    rcontr7 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I have put it in soups in place of heavy cream, have put it in smoothies, eat it with baked apples (with vanilla and cinnamon - yum!!!) eat it with frozen cherries, with granola and cocoa powder, with cinnamon and stevia... The list goes on and on. Anything you want to make creamy, I'd give it a shot. I looooove Greek yogurt. It is so delicious and satisfying!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I like to put cocoa powder in it and mix it with a little apple butter and a couple almond cookies for sweetness. 150 calories for a large portion (including the cookies)

I also mix about 25 grams with cholula chipotle hot sauce and put it over my veg/meat dishes.
  • hncary
    hncary Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I dont think anyone said this, but I was skimming. You can mix it with salsa to use as your dressing for taco salads or as a topping for regular tacos/burritos/naked burritos
  • 2legoboys
    2legoboys Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    for breakfast--overnight oats--in a glass jar put 1/2 cup oatmeal (not instant, not steel cut--regular old fashioned oats). cover with 1/2 cup water--don't stir. top with 1/2 cup non fat plain greek yogurt (or any flavor or some other fat level). still don't stir. put it in the fridge overnight. in the morning add whatever toppings you want and stir. YUMMY. I like mango chunks and coconut, or blueberries and a few slivered almonds, or strawberries and bananas, drizzle of honey--whatever you like. I make a bunch off jars on Sunday and then pull one out each day for either breakfast or lunch, adding whatever toppings. delish--great way to eat more greek yogurt if it's not your favorite thing.
  • BruceHedtke
    BruceHedtke Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Pootler74 wrote: »
    Try this: Make up a pack of sugar free Jello with half the amount of water. Substitute the other half for Fat Free Greek Yoghurt.

When it sets you have a really good fruit flavour pudding.

Mine comes to 36 cals for a quarter of the whole thing, which is a big portion!

Definitely trying this! Thanks!
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    We use it with fruit (blueberries and 2% greek yoghurt pretty common part of my breakfast), as the major ingredient in a veggie dip (lots of garlic, fresh or dried dill, a dollop of mayo sometimes, maybe a little buttermilk to adjust the consistency as needed, a little salt, pepper, maybe some cayenne); same dip thinned a little more becomes a ranch-like salad dressing. Sometimes sub yoghurt for part of the buttermilk in scratch-made pancakes. On top of spicy foods (mexican, especially indian) a dollop is often very nice.

I don't know if it was my weight or lack of fitness or if I really was lactose intolerant but I wasn't able to drink milk without issues but cheese and yoghurt didn't bother me so I've been using them even pre-get-fit to help with obtaining calcium. Had a glass of chocolate milk after a run recently... wasn't bothered. Hmnn.