I cannot run because I have panic disorder

Options
so basically every time my heart rate goes up slightly I have a panic attack, so I can't really work out properly. I want to get fit to feel better but every time I try to run or do cardio I land up having a panic attack. Any advice please??

Replies

• surfteam1689
    surfteam1689 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Have you consulted your doctor? Are you on Meds? My Mom has to take Thyroid Meds, and that would really mess with her metabolism if she did not have the right dose, and right diet - that's why I ask about Meds. Maybe doing a slow muscle workout could help you. I have seen people lose lots of body fat on just Yoga, but if you can do a slow muscle workout in the gym, that could help you normalize your metabolism, which could help you with your panic disorder.
    On the spiritual side, maybe you could try reading the Bible and praying a bit more. A panic disorder is more than just a biological response to outward stimuli. All the best! :-)
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    Don't do cardio! Do weights instead. You'll be able to improve your strength so that you feel better but you won't have to get out of breath. Just go slowly to keep your heart rate steady.

At the risk of being Online Fake Professional - if you can steel yourself to let your heart rate go up a tiny bit here and there, and then breathe through that panic, you might find that your tolerance for it increases. But if not, you can definitely still lift weights! And just because you won't add muscle while you're reducing calories doesn't mean you won't add strength and speed, you can make a LOT of drastic changes in your body without gaining any weight.

And definitely don't read the Bible - that's a stress fest! Murder, death, torture, etc...yikes...
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Walking is great exercise - maybe start with walking and try and work your way up? Maybe your doctor has some suggestions on how to increase your ability to deal with an elevated heart rate?
  • teanahk
    teanahk Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Is there some physical activity you enjoy and can do without it triggering an attack? Maybe play some loud music you like and dance around in your kitchen. Weights or Yoga might be something to try as well if cardio just isn't working for you.

Have you looked into Cognitive behavioural therapy? It might give you some tools for dealing with the panic attacks.

As far as the previous suggestion to pray more... I don't even know where to start with how wrong and offensive that is. just ugh.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    A psychiatrist can help change this with short-term meds and follow-up therapy. I'd catch it early and not let it spiral.
  • toofatnomore
    toofatnomore Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Lol the bible...
  • toofatnomore
    toofatnomore Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    teanahk wrote: »
    Is there some physical activity you enjoy and can do without it triggering an attack? Maybe play some loud music you like and dance around in your kitchen. Weights or Yoga might be something to try as well if cardio just isn't working for you.

Have you looked into Cognitive behavioural therapy? It might give you some tools for dealing with the panic attacks.

As far as the previous suggestion to pray more... I don't even know where to start with how wrong and offensive that is. just ugh.

+1 to your last sentence...
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    CBT for panic is super effective, one of the best treatments we have. People normally see benefits within a few sessions :)
  • thegatti
    thegatti Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I have panic disorder as well as agoraphobia so with me I cant walk a long way from my house. I have a fitbit now and am going to see how many steps I can do even inside. You could try walking if that doesn't affect your panic.

As far as prayer and reading the Bible......go for it......only if you want to. It does help. There are calming portions of the Bible as well as amazing stories of love, peace, healing and strength.

If I dissed meditation and yoga and maked fun of the people doing it like some of you dissed the Bible, you would be quite offended. Different things work for different people.

Medication can help heaps. Talk to the doctor about the best medication for your panic disorder and don't give up and don't forget to ask for help
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    thegatti wrote: »
    I have panic disorder as well as agoraphobia so with me I cant walk a long way from my house. I have a fitbit now and am going to see how many steps I can do even inside. You could try walking if that doesn't affect your panic.

As far as prayer and reading the Bible......go for it......only if you want to. It does help. There are calming portions of the Bible as well as amazing stories of love, peace, healing and strength.

If I dissed meditation and yoga and maked fun of the people doing it like some of you dissed the Bible, you would be quite offended. Different things work for different people.

Medication can help heaps. Talk to the doctor about the best medication for your panic disorder and don't give up and don't forget to ask for help

I would recommend starting with CBT if you can rather than meds. You may find it gives you all the tools you need and meds can get in the way of the therapy.

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I find the multiple assumptions in this thread that the OP is christian, or would want to be, mind boggling.

OP, you don't need to run, walking is great! Swimming is also fantastic and, if you like the water, very calming.

But I certainly think you should get some help for the panic attacks. I have a reasonably fierce (at times) anxiety disorder which is managed purely through mental coping techniques, but I could never have gotten there without good professional help. I actually find a good workout quite calming now.
  • Karlirosem
    Karlirosem Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I have been having issues with severe anxiety as well and I have been slowly easing into working out again. I Started going for short walks and then a little longer and then a little longer. Weights are a good one too! Just do some reps and relax for a bit.
  • erinelizabeth882
    erinelizabeth882 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry you're struggling with anxiety and panic disorder. I'd highly recommend seeing a mental health professional if you are not already. If you talk to your general physician, they should be able to refer you to someone. If you are a student, college campuses usually have mental health included in student health services. Many places of employment offer similar services. Otherwise, simply look up mental health services in your area and make an appointment.

If you are seeing someone for your anxiety, talk to them about the issues you are experiencing with working out. Exercise is an important part of mental health, so they should be able to help suggest some strategies and tips for the issue you are experiencing.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    so basically every time my heart rate goes up slightly I have a panic attack, so I can't really work out properly. I want to get fit to feel better but every time I try to run or do cardio I land up having a panic attack. Any advice please??

First, thereis no reason to run, you can just walk.
    Second, have yoiu talked to a cardiologist? Are you sure it is just your heart rate going up, and not arrhythmia? Because arrhythmia feels exactly like a panic attack (have experienced both) and it can also trigger a panic attack.
  • andrikosDE
    andrikosDE Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    sofaking6 wrote: »

And definitely don't read the Bible - that's a stress fest! Murder, death, torture, etc...yikes...

lol!
    I highly recommend the spaghetti monster prayer. It's very nourishing.

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options

Been there done that

I got a personal trainer for 2 sessions a week at the start - part of his job was reassurance

I worked hard on the mental aspect

I haven't had a panic attack in months and I'm fairly fit now (still see him once a week but not for the reassurance aspect more for the pushing me till I want to slap him aspect)

Get a full medical work-up to rule out physical issues and build it up slowly

You can do it
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I would suggest yoga. I started it about a month ago and it's the easier Hatha yoga. Since it focuses on breathing deeply and calmly this might help with your panic attacks. Breathing properly is important for alot of physical activity. I swim, and there again breathing properly is key. Best of luck. B)
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

Been there done that

I got a personal trainer for 2 sessions a week at the start - part of his job was reassurance

I worked hard on the mental aspect

I haven't had a panic attack in months and I'm fairly fit now (still see him once a week but not for the reassurance aspect more for the pushing me till I want to slap him aspect)

Get a full medical work-up to rule out physical issues and build it up slowly

You can do it

Just to point out .. I don't run .. I do some HIIT on the treadmill but mainly use the elliptical for cardio (shin splints) ..and I do weights and calisthenics more

it doesn't have to be about running if that's what your freaks you out
  • nicola8989
    nicola8989 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I have panic attacks pretty regularly - I find exercise to be a massive help. Maybe you could try different ways of exercising - elliptical, bike etc - I find the bike is great for my anxiety. Everyone is different though so what works for one might not work for another.

I also find yoga to be a great help - anything that requires you to focus on your breathing, I know when I panic I can feel myself tense and take shallower breaths.