I need more protein in my diet I'm vegetarian

Options
abbier98
abbier98 Posts: 11 Member
I have decided to be lacto-ovo-vegetarian. Been a couple weeks and going great. Just want some ideas for protein and such. I tried a veggie burger...actually didn't enjoy it due to its texture. I would also like maybe some meat substitute. Please give me some ideas. Thank you :)

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    What is the reason you've decided on the change?

I would learn to love eggs :) also yoghurt, cottage cheese, high protein cheddar. A good WPI can be used for a hit of protein without carbs or fat, and you can have it as a shake, or mix it in to things, or bake with it.

Beans/legumes and some grains have decent protein, but also a lot of carbs - you need to be careful that you balance your intake if you rely on them

Personally I avoid soy, and have never had a meat substitute.
  • abbier98
    Options
    What is the reason you've decided on the change?

I would learn to love eggs

I love eggs haha mainly for morning or egg salad. I changed because I felt it was right. Also I feel healthier and more energised.
  • daisyverma
    daisyverma Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    a vegan blog but most of the time I use dairy and such: oh she glows

also there is another blog called oh my veggies

pinterest has great recipes
  • abbier98
    Options
    Oh why thank you :)
  • sandygordon62
    sandygordon62 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Other sources of protein: pumpkin seeds, hemp hearts and Tempeh
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Greek Yogurt
    Cottage Cheese
    Fat Free Cream Cheese (or low/full fat if macros allow it)
    Milk
    Other dairy if your macros allow it
    Seitan (wheat gluten)
    Soy/Tofu
    Egg whites (whole eggs are fine though - just more calories)
  • nyartist518
    nyartist518 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Quinoa has good protein. I really like Boca burgers, it has a different texture than veggie patties.
  • niliyahia
    niliyahia Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Tempeh burger is also really good. We can have your protein through nuts, chia seeds or oats for example.
  • amandamccord23
    amandamccord23 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter is always good protein
  • Rangjew
    Rangjew Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hi- good on you, Iv'e been a lact-ovo-vegetarian since 1995 and its pretty easy to maintain once you stop relying on pasta and fried eggs and start to enjoy trying new things. For protein I would normally eat lentils, chickpeas and hummus, cottage cheese and greek yoghurt, peanut and almond butters, kale and spinach, tofu (nice to marinate and fry) and of caurse broccoli. Avocado is also great as well as whey protein mixes. Eggs are great but can get boring so try making a frittata or there are a lot of quinoa burger recepies. I heard good things about Quorn but i'm not a fan as I don't like the texture. Hope this helps.
  • abbier98
    Options
    Other sources of protein: pumpkin seeds, hemp hearts and Tempeh

Oh I love pumpkin seeds haha but thank you!
  • abbier98
    Options
    Sarauk2sf wrote: »
    Greek Yogurt
    Cottage Cheese
    Milk
    Seitan (wheat gluten)
    Soy/Tofu

• abbier98
    Options
    Quinoa has good protein. I really like Boca burgers, it has a different texture than veggie patties.

Oh thank you. I just felt as though the veggie burger texture was paste like.
  • abbier98
    Options
    niliyahia wrote: »
    Tempeh burger is also really good. We can have your protein through nuts, chia seeds or oats for example.

Sounds good to me thanks.
  • abbier98
    Options
    Rangjew wrote: »
    Hi- good on you, Iv'e been a lact-ovo-vegetarian since 1995 and its pretty easy to maintain once you stop relying on pasta and fried eggs and start to enjoy trying new things. For protein I would normally eat lentils, chickpeas and hummus, cottage cheese and greek yoghurt, peanut and almond butters, kale and spinach, tofu (nice to marinate and fry) and of caurse broccoli. Avocado is also great as well as whey protein mixes. Eggs are great but can get boring so try making a frittata or there are a lot of quinoa burger recepies. I heard good things about Quorn but i'm not a fan as I don't like the texture. Hope this helps.

This is great to look up on. Thank you. I just have to tell my mum to get me a whole shopping list of it from the store. :)
  • Zinka61
    Zinka61 Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Not a big fan of veggie burgers, here, either. Protein is all over the place--spinach is one of my main sources, in fact. My favorite breakfast is a can of butter beans mixed with 2c. frozen spinach, salt, pepper and 2 T. nutritional yeast, microwaved until hot and mixed up. It's absolutely loaded with protein, from the beans, but also from the spinach and nutritional yeast. Don't be afraid of carbs. Other traditional vegetarian sources of protein:
    tofu, tempeh, seitan, and beans, peas, lentils, soymilk. You'll want some grains in your diet to complement the proteins, but it doesn't have to be a lot. If you eat dairy and eggs, it will be even easier to get protein via eggs and milk products. If you eat enough calories, you will probably get enough protein, so no worries. Hummus is wonderful-It's made from chickpeas and sesame paste--I use it as a sandwich spread and pile on shredded veggies, even just carrots and coleslaw mix if I'm in a hurry. I'm a vegan-leaning vegetarian for 24+ years and raised both of my kids vegetarian. Feel free to friend me if you like.
  • abbier98
    Options
    sprepej wrote: »
    Not a big fan of veggie burgers, here, either. Protein is all over the place--spinach is one of my main sources, in fact. My favorite breakfast is a can of butter beans mixed with 2c. frozen spinach, salt, pepper and 2 T. nutritional yeast, microwaved until hot and mixed up. It's absolutely loaded with protein, from the beans, but also from the spinach and nutritional yeast. Don't be afraid of carbs. Other traditional vegetarian sources of protein:
    tofu, tempeh, seitan, and beans, peas, lentils, soymilk. You'll want some grains in your diet to complement the proteins, but it doesn't have to be a lot. If you eat dairy and eggs, it will be even easier to get protein via eggs and milk products. If you eat enough calories, you will probably get enough protein, so no worries. Hummus is wonderful-It's made from chickpeas and sesame paste--I use it as a sandwich spread and pile on shredded veggies, even just carrots and coleslaw mix if I'm in a hurry. I'm a vegan-leaning vegetarian for 24+ years and raised both of my kids vegetarian. Feel free to friend me if you like.

Ah omg thank you so much. I take in what I need and take carbs. ThIs is very helpful!
  • Naley2322
    Naley2322 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Im a vegan and get almost 100 grams a day Nasoya light firm tofu has 36 grams for 203 calories worth, boca vegan burgers are good in the oven and are 13 grams of protein and genuine health as good vegan protein powder and sprouted whole wheat products have a lot of protein for bread
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Sarauk2sf wrote: »
    Greek Yogurt
    Cottage Cheese
    Milk
    Seitan (wheat gluten)
    Soy/Tofu

^This

Cottage cheese and Greek yogurt are every day things for me. Also lentils and other beans. If you can look in your grocery store to see if they have it, there's a brand of bean pastas by Explore Asian that has a hefty amount of protein and fiber per 2 ounce serving. I eat that quite frequently too.

• echmainfit619
    echmainfit619 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I'm a steak-pork-chicken-turkey-seafood-vegetarian. I seem to get plenty of protein.