I lost 10lb between Tuesday and Thursday

Hi, everyone! On Tuesday, I weighed myself and it came up at 180lb, but today, Thursday, I checked and I dropped to 170lb. I had my mom weigh herself with me both times and her weight stayed the same. I found this alarming.
One week ago I started taking Adderall again, which supresses appetite, so I haven't been able to eat as much. I had been over-eating previously, which is why I started watching my weight again.
Any input would be helpful.

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Water weight

And possibly scale movement, change of conditions eg time of day, clothing, hydration, food in body, sodium, hormonal balance

Day to day scale fluctuations mean little...check over weeks/months

I do not agree with pill supplements ...
  • NordicAngel
    NordicAngel Posts: 5 Member
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Water weight

And possibly scale movement, change of conditions eg time of day, clothing, hydration, food in body, sodium, hormonal balance

Day to day scale fluctuations mean little...check over weeks/months

I do not agree with pill supplements ...

Thanks, rabbitjb. I'm just worried because it was a full 10lb rather than the normal 1-5lb fluctuation..
  • julianajordan522
    julianajordan522 Posts: 1 Member
    Adderall probably has a good bit to.do with it. The smallest i had ever been was when i was on adderall and i quit taking it when i got pregnant gained 25lbs with pregnancy and after my daughter was born i decided i was going to stay off of the adderall bc of the mood changes it gave me and i havent lost hardly any weight since then.
  • Nerdybreisawesome
    Nerdybreisawesome Posts: 359 Member
    edited April 2015
    Do you have any dumb bell weights at home that you can test your scale with?
  • quintoespada
    quintoespada Posts: 58 Member
    adderall is not a supplement and it's kind of annoying you would even suggest it is.

adderall is a medication for people who have ADD/ADHD. if you don't agree with people who have ADD/ADHD taking it because of the way it affects the body, that's one thing, but to even remotely imply it would be used as a weight loss stimulant is extremely ignorant.

you can only get it by prescription, unless you're a person who pops pills/does drugs - it's a controlled substance.
  • _whatsherface
    _whatsherface Posts: 1,235 Member
    My husband takes adderall for his ADHD. It suppresses his appetite as well and he didn't eat as much. I believe he lost around 20 lbs in 4 months or so though. Now that he's been back on it longer, he does eat more. Just at first he wasn't eating as much. 10 lbs in 2 days seems like a lot though.
  • alliesgettinghealthy
    alliesgettinghealthy Posts: 87 Member
    It's most likely that a majority of it is water weight. Although you definitely could have lost fat. Adderall is dehydrating so that could explain the quick water loss. Make sure you're drinking plenty of water while on it. Also it's sounds like they are taking it for a valid reason rather than as a means to lose weight (to person who mentioned it).
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    If your weight keeps dropping that rapidly then you need to got a Dr immediately ...if it levels out then no need to worry ...
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Look around. See if you are missing a body part.
  • bluworld
    bluworld Posts: 135 Member
    My DH dropped weight very quickly when he first started Adderol. Those effects wear off, and he got fat again. Now, it's diet and exercise for both of us.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Awesome! Gotta love that initial water drop.
  • Malteaster
    Malteaster Posts: 75 Member
    adderall is not a supplement and it's kind of annoying you would even suggest it is.

adderall is a medication for people who have ADD/ADHD. if you don't agree with people who have ADD/ADHD taking it because of the way it affects the body, that's one thing, but to even remotely imply it would be used as a weight loss stimulant is extremely ignorant.

you can only get it by prescription, unless you're a person who pops pills/does drugs - it's a controlled substance.

I had never heard of Adderall, it may not be used in the UK or it may be under a different name. It did sound to me like a weight loss supplement.
  • higgins8283801
    higgins8283801 Posts: 844 Member
    It's water and a little fat and muscle.

I usually fluctuate between 120-123. Due to TOM, and sodium and new weight training program I shot up to 127!

In less than 9 days I am back down to 120.1 as of today.

• Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,423 Member
    Hi, everyone! On Tuesday, I weighed myself and it came up at 180lb, but today, Thursday, I checked and I dropped to 170lb. I had my mom weigh herself with me both times and her weight stayed the same. I found this alarming.
    One week ago I started taking Adderall again, which supresses appetite, so I haven't been able to eat as much. I had been over-eating previously, which is why I started watching my weight again.
    Any input would be helpful.

Watch it for a couple of weeks. Make sure you weigh at the same time, same scale, same conditions. It was probably mostly water.
    I would keep an eye on your calories to make sure you get enough. Try to eat higher calorie, nutrient dense foods to make sure you eat enough even though you are eating less food.
  • aaliceinw
    aaliceinw Posts: 747 Member
    I only know Adderall as a schedule 7, prescription drug used to manage ADHD! I've never heard of it being used as an appetite suppressor. I didn't know you could even get it over the counter because it has some very serious side effects.
  • happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    aaliceinw wrote: »
    I only know Adderall as a schedule 7, prescription drug used to manage ADHD! I've never heard of it being used as an appetite suppressor. I didn't know you could even get it over the counter because it has some very serious side effects.

you can't get it over the counter, that information is incorrect. It is a stimulant medication similar to Ritalin only adderall is the long-acting form of this. It is a controlled substance and you must have a hard copy prescription from an MD to get it :-)
  • justme400
    justme400 Posts: 2 Member
    She never said she was using it as an appetite surpressor, she just stated that was one of the side effects, which is pretty well known....
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    edited April 2015
    Man...people's reading comprehension skills suck *kitten*...

- Where does the OP ever suggest it's a supplement?
    - Where does the OP ever suggest it is being taken for weight loss?
    - Where is it mentioned that OP is getting it over the counter?

OP simply stated she started taking it again...I'll give her the benefit of the doubt that she has ADHD and has a prescription for the medication as nothing has been stated or otherwise implied that would make me think otherwise. She also stated that her appetite is suppressed from the medication...which is a well known side-effect.

OP, just keep an eye on it. Also, are you weighing in with clothes/shoes? Different time of day? Stuff like that is obviously going to mess with the numbers.
  • NordicAngel
    NordicAngel Posts: 5 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

OP simply stated she started taking it again...I'll give her the benefit of the doubt that she has ADHD and has a prescription for the medication as nothing has been stated or otherwise implied that would make me think otherwise. She also stated that her appetite is suppressed from the medication...which is a well known side-effect.

OP, just keep an eye on it. Also, are you weighing in with clothes/shoes? Different time of day? Stuff like that is obviously going to mess with the numbers.

THANK YOU. I do have ADHD and that is what I take it for- and my doctor suggested I take it regularly. I hate taking it because of the side-effects but it lets me mellow out and also concentrate like a regular person when I need to. In no way do I abuse it or any other medication.

To answer your questions though: I wore similar clothes each time ( light weight basketball shorts and a t-shirt) and weighed my self around the same time each..
    I haven't weighed myself since or been keeping up with my activity due to helping my boyfriend's parents move this past week.
  • belinus
    belinus Posts: 112 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

I think they're reacting Malteaster's post without reading the fact they are from the United Kingdom and would therefore not be aware of Adderall because it is not available there.
    aaliceinw wrote: »

You can't.

But interesting fun fact, you used to be able to get methamphetamines for weight loss from a doctor too.