Bad Binge Cycle... advice, please?

Options
Hi mfp. I was dealing with negative emotions about a week or so ago and decided to drink alcohol. Great idea... yeah not so much. So I then had a huge appetite which isn't like me anymore. I decided to binge and here I am seven days later eating everything. I just stopped drinking today as I realized alcohol isn't my thing and shouldn't be.
I tried eating my estimated bmr at 1500. Breakfast was a spinach salad with tuna, (321) then lunch was tuna and some hard boiled eggs (400 or so) and then for dinner I binged! I don't get it, I even ate a snack *apple* and planned to eat a good dinner. I just am sooo RIDICULOUSLY hungry! I don't understand. Is it because I need to wean off the alcohol and in time it will go back to normal? Also what should I eat like now? I'm at a loss.

Replies

• LovelyIvy466
    LovelyIvy466 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Sometimes eating is about emotions instead of actual hunger. It sounds like this may be one of those times. Are you seeing a therapist to talk through the negative emotions fueling your drinking and binging? It's not the only thing that can help, but it really can help when you're going through a hard time. Having someone who can help you see through your problems can be a blessing.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Alcohol does give you the munchies and carb cravings. lay off the booze and eat high protein. Have a little healthy fat such as olive oil each day. I find that apples (alone) actually make a lousy snack because I'm hungry again half an hour later. You could put a little peanut butter on there to give the apple some staying power. String cheese makes a good snack. same calories as an apple, but has calcium and protein. Avoid things that burn off fast leaving you hungry again, such as white bread, bagels, etc. Complex carbs stick around longer to provide satisfaction. Whole wheat bread rather than white, sweet potatoes. the eggs and the tuna are good. Lean beef and chicken are good as well. Plenty of veggies. Maybe try a multivitamin to address any unknown deficiencies that could make cravings worse.
  • ephiemarie
    ephiemarie Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I also binged over the weekend (beer...which led to some terrible food choices...which led to a bad attitude and even more beer and bad food choices). I tend to do this around PMS time or whenever there's a special occasion or travel. I have found it's easier for me to get back on track if I spend one or two days having my usual morning coffee and then chugging water all day and fasting until my stomach is literally growling. Usually this happens after lunchtime, so I still have all the day's calories to use for the afternoon/evening. The extra water helps flush out the sodium and make me feel human again.

• lifeisbueno
    lifeisbueno Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    as someone who has struggled with binge eating disorder... stay far far from your BMR and try eating at your TDEE instead... (you can google tdee calculator)

focus on getting your binge cycles under control and don't think about restricting or trying to lose weight as that will only set you up for another binge cycle.

i still mess up sometimes... but those extra few calories allot me a few sweets or a bagel at the end of the day, and my weight stays consistent or even goes down if i put in an extra 10 minutes at the gym. (5'5" 140 lbs, eating about 2000-2100cal/day, i lift heavy, my extra ten minutes are cardio :smile: )
  • sunshinemcsunny
    sunshinemcsunny Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    as someone who has struggled with binge eating disorder... stay far far from your BMR and try eating at your TDEE instead... (you can google tdee calculator)

focus on getting your binge cycles under control and don't think about restricting or trying to lose weight as that will only set you up for another binge cycle.

i still mess up sometimes... but those extra few calories allot me a few sweets or a bagel at the end of the day, and my weight stays consistent or even goes down if i put in an extra 10 minutes at the gym. (5'5" 140 lbs, eating about 2000-2100cal/day, i lift heavy, my extra ten minutes are cardio :smile: )

You know that's a good idea. I'll eat my TDEE and exercise. That way I can eat more and not gain (: