Nexoplanon and weight gain?

Options
I just got nexoplanon put in a few days ago. I'm reading all these god awful reviews about people gaining tons of weight! On my last birth control I went from 115 to what I am now (145) but that was my fault, I ate out of control. I'm 5'7 and am really aiming to get back to around 125 minimum. I'm tracking daily and exercising everyday (3-5 days jogging and walking and yoga daily along with body weight exercises). I'm trying to eat as healthy as I can. But birth control constipated me and leaves me constantly hungry! I ate half a donut today and a few brownies (shame on me!) but I'm trying to keep going strong.

How do you of have you lost weight on birth control?

Replies

• ACSL3
    ACSL3 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I've had Nexplanon for 2.5 years. During that time I've both gained and lost weight, but both of those have been due to my eating habits not the Nexplanon.

One thing to keep in mind is that anyone can say they've had a side effect for any drug and they have to publish it as a possible side effect. The only birth control to have studies that link it to weight gain is depo - but even then, correlation does not always equal causation and some people have done great on depo with no weight gain. Nexplanon is newer so there aren't as many studies on it, but so far there is no study that has shown a link with weight change.

I wouldn't recommend going out and getting it removed now. Eat at a deficit, make sure you're eating at a deficit, and give it time. You may need a few months for your body to get used to the new form of birth control. I was lucky and got used it it right away, but I know some people took 3-6 months to stop having spotting from it (which has nothing to do with weight loss, just though I'd throw that it as well :wink: )
  • audricastillo
    Options
    I had that birth control and i didnt gain any weight on it but people have different side affects
  • macxeows
    macxeows Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I don't plan on removing it. Just I'm so bloated and craving so much! Going to do my best to stay motivated.
  • lisemcl
    lisemcl Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I gained over a stone in 3 months, but I put it down to being a nursing mum at that point. I did lose a lot again much later down the line. When I got a new one, again my appetite and thus my weight rocketed. It does settle down as the initial hormone dose in the first year is higher. This time I've had a load of other problems, including low mood and movement of the device and pain, so I had it removed. It took my body 2 months to get back to normal, but I'm now losing weight steadily. That said, everyone reacts differently to it.
  • CrystalBurns1
    CrystalBurns1 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I am on my second Implanon and am due to have it removed in June. This has been an excellent birth control for my husband and I so I do plan on getting a Nexplanon put in. I can 100% say that my weight is due to my overeating and lack of physical activity. I am in my first month of my new lifestyle and fitness program and have maintained a 2-3lb weight loss each week. I am eating a calorie deficit and doing 1 hour of Cardio 6 days a week.
  • Zombella
    Zombella Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    I've had it for 4 months and the weight gain was my fault from overeating. So far good here.
  • flissy5
    flissy5 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I had my first nexplanon implant inserted about 2 months ago. I have noticed a big increase in my appetite, it's quite hard to manage. I've gained around 4lbs, in part due to being on holiday after easter, but I am starting to think that my intense hunger has got to be related to the implant. I hope it settles down soon.
  • icck
    icck Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I'm half way through my second (so I've been using it 4+ years) and the only weight gain I experienced was due to inactivity and poor diet. I have no problem losing weight when I want to. :)
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I am a "birth control made me gain weight" skeptic. I know what made me gain weight, and it was not what I put in my arm, but what I put in my face.

BUT.... I had my Implanon removed 2 weeks ago (after having them for 10 years consecutively) and since then I've dropped 8lbs doing nothing different, where I was losing maybe 0.5lb a week before. I won't and can't say whether it's really related, but I certainly have not been eating better the last 2 weeks, I've actually spent time away and ate a lot of crap. Take from it what you will, I'm certainly confused.
  • macxeows
    macxeows Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I am a "birth control made me gain weight" skeptic. I know what made me gain weight, and it was not what I put in my arm, but what I put in my face.

BUT.... I had my Implanon removed 2 weeks ago (after having them for 10 years consecutively) and since then I've dropped 8lbs doing nothing different, where I was losing maybe 0.5lb a week before. I won't and can't say whether it's really related, but I certainly have not been eating better the last 2 weeks, I've actually spent time away and ate a lot of crap. Take from it what you will, I'm certainly confused.

I've read quite a bit on the old Implanon and I think it was due to it! But no so far no weight gain.
  • alyshanhk
    alyshanhk Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I have the Nexplanon and it does increase your appetite at times but it doesn't actually cause weight gain although I have experienced constipation as well. The best thing to do is to exercise and find alternatives to unhealthy snacks.