Being Fluffy Doesn't Mean We're Broken

Options
chami1013
chami1013 Posts: 31 Member
Looking for friends who are in the same boat as me! I have 150 lbs to lose! Started working out yesterday with a personal trainer and what I realized was because I'm a fluffier person I had it my mind I couldn't do certain things. Like I was making myself disabled, but after yesterday I realized I'm not disabled because of my weight nor am I broken! I can do this! You can do this! :)

Replies

• 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    What does being a fluffy person entail?
  • HealthyFreya
    HealthyFreya Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    You go girl :smile:
  • tthoma5201
    tthoma5201 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Great attitude! :)
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »
    What does being a fluffy person entail?

This

My dog is fluffy but I don't understand how a human being can be
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    c732z.gif
  • crosbylee
    crosbylee Posts: 3,454 Member
    Options
    Would you rather she came in here and said 'I am a huge fat cow'?? Just a kinder way to say she has fat she wants to lose. Support folks!
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    crosbylee wrote: »
    Would you rather she came in here and said 'I am a huge fat cow'?? Just a kinder way to say she has fat she wants to lose. Support folks!

Defensive much. It was a genuine question. I'm not sure she thinks shes a stuffed toy from Despicable me.

I dont think its weight specific, just a self perception and realisation thing about your own ability and what you can achieve in the gym. We all start somewhere.
  • spookyface
    spookyface Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    crosbylee wrote: »

You crack me up! LOL
  • jlbrown1985
    jlbrown1985 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I like the "fluffy" comparison. I think your original post was very well worded. I'm glad that you realized being "fluffy" is not a disability and that there is something that you can do about it. I'm sure that you posted for support and you deserve it. Now that you have overcome the misconception in your mind that you can't do certain things because your too fluffy you WILL succeed!! Good luck on your journey!!
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    To me fluffy means idiotic

Because my dog is fluffy and idiotic

To OP fluffy could mean sweet, caring or soft-hearted or it could mean scaredy-cat and risk-averse...but I don't see it as analogous to overweight ..squishy could be

So just because you assume she means weight you may not be correct in that ..only the OP knows what she meant, hence the questions
  • slowestBurpeesEver
    slowestBurpeesEver Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Fluffy is a pretty common descriptor of overweight/obese. Don't be disingenuous. This is a place for support.

chami1013, you'll probably find a lot of things you can do that you didn't realize you could do before. The even better news is, as you shed fat and build muscle, those things will be even easier to do, and you'll find even more things you can do. It opens a whole new world, and it's a lot of fun!
  • Wellsuzie
    Wellsuzie Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    See fluffyguy.com Gabriel Iglesias - Fluffy's Official Website - Stand-Up Comedian
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    Fluffy is a pretty common descriptor of overweight/obese. Don't be disingenuous. This is a place for support.

chami1013, you'll probably find a lot of things you can do that you didn't realize you could do before. The even better news is, as you shed fat and build muscle, those things will be even easier to do, and you'll find even more things you can do. It opens a whole new world, and it's a lot of fun!

Never heard it before in my life and I have a wide vocabulary. Perhaps you should realise that this is an international site and people have different frame of references?

• WickedPineapple
    WickedPineapple Posts: 701 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Wellsuzie wrote: »
    See fluffyguy.com Gabriel Iglesias - Fluffy's Official Website - Stand-Up Comedian

^I thought this is a pretty common term these days, but I also watch this guy's stand up.

Good on you, OP. Overcoming or at least identifying the mental aspect of what you can/can't do is huge. I still argue with myself while running. :smile:
  • triciab79
    triciab79 Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    The day you stop letting yourself use excuses for not doing things is the day you find out exactly how much you can do. Sometimes you have to say "I am doing this, even if it kills me" and then move forward. I know there were plenty of days when I was losing the weight that I thought there is no way I can take one more minute of this. A minute passed and then the next and I found out I do have will power in me. Don't give yourself excuses. Know your triggers. If you have been using food as a reward or mood booster then you need to figure out how to replace that with a more appropriate stimulant. Don't reinforce those negative behaviors by doing things like giving yourself a treat for working out. This is about making better choices overall. Count your calories and err on the side of caution, get a food scale and do it right. Weighing and measuring and not eating treat items is not a permanent thing, it is until you reach your goals and get control of the way you view food. You will know you are there when those trigger items don't look appealing anymore. Good Luck!
  • dufus12
    dufus12 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    My hair is fluffy...my body isn't. But I love the idea of calling my lard ' fluffy'...... Why not??? Instead of being weighted down by lard, it candy floss...??? Works for me.......
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I hear you. Carrying so much weight I was so worried about hurting myself (some of it for good reason!). Gaining my mobility back along with the weight loss continues to thrill me.

Every once in a while I forget I've got an agile body and say, take the stairs cautiously like I used to. Sideways, one step at a time. Then I remember and bounce down the rest of the stairs like a regular gal.
  • Wellsuzie
    Wellsuzie Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Comedian Gabriel Iglesias is quite overweight, in fact, morbidly obese the last show I saw, BUT after just googling him I was happy to see that he has lost 100 pounds because as he said, "I didn't want to die." He refers to his overweight physique as being "fluffy" during all his comedy routines. If you haven't watched him on TV you can see him on U-tube. I think he is one of the funniest comedians out there!
  • jessiruthica
    jessiruthica Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    This "I can't do that" attitude plagued me at my "fluffiest" as well. In fact, all my life because I've always been fluffy. My trainer asks me to do stuff all the time that I'd never even considered as possible. Now, I'm starting to get to the "bring it on, I can do anything" mindset!
  • Robertus
    Robertus Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    My kids started calling me 'fluffy bunny' a few years ago, but were quick to explain that this referred to my chest hair and not my weight. Not sure if they were back peddling a bit so as not to hurt my feelings, but the name stuck. They like to cuddle a lot.