how do you feel about weighing yourself during your menstrual cycle?

Options

Replies

• MysticRealm
    MysticRealm Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    I weigh everyday, and record my weight every friday. I don't think I have found a direct correlation between TOM and my weight rising though don't pay it too much mind.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Noooope. I just avoid it. But right around that time, I'll randomly be up 4+ lbs, and I'll figure out that lady time is right around the corner :(
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

I have to if I want to know how much I weigh now - and I don't want to wait until menopause.
  • IAmTheGlue
    IAmTheGlue Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every day. Every single day. I have the fitbit Aria scale and it links to MFP so it is automatically updated daily. I trust the CICO process so fluctuations do not drive me crazy like they do some people. I gain an easy 5 pounds of water during the TOM.
  • cincysweetheart
    cincysweetheart Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself once a week. No matter whether it's that TOM or not. Honestly, with weekly weigh ins… I never have noticed it to have too much of an effect.
  • evivahealth
    evivahealth Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Yep I do. I weigh once a week. I mostly do it out of interest to see if I've lost anyway (Which I rarely have) and I log it so I see the bigger downward change the following week. I've found my monthly weight cycle goes

1. Week 1: (TOM) +0.5-1kg
    2. Week 2: -2kg
    3. Week 3: -0.5kg
    4. Week 4: +1kg
  • rawk_fairy_666
    rawk_fairy_666 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Ugh I gain around 5lbs leading up to and during. It's nice when it drops off plus more afterwards though! I still weigh, not sure why.
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself. I've been doing this long enough that I know when I'll gain from it and when I'll see my lowest/normal weight. If I weigh the Saturday before it starts, I'm up anywhere from 2 to 6 pounds. The Saturday after it, I'm back to my normal weight or showing a loss. (I only weigh on Saturdays. I'm currently maintaining/recomping, so losses scale-wise aren't top priority for me.)
  • amy102875
    amy102875 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I weigh everyday. I weigh more (stay the same, and don't lose) when I'm ovulating and usually lose a couple pounds quickly right after my period ends. I like seeing the pattern so I can not get down on myself when the weight doesn't come off in the middle of the month.
  • Change1992
    Change1992 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I know it's completely useless and a waste of energy but I get really annoyed by the effect it has on the whole tracking thing. (Although, this may be because I like order a tad too much!)

I have to increase my calories to TDEE - 10% for the week before my TOM (usually on TDEE - 20%) and so don't weigh myself that week. I'm sooo hungry otherwise and likely to just binge on everything in sight. Then during the TOM week, I'm bloated, water weight etc. so put weight on then too (although I'm back to my TDEE -20% figure). It all seems to disappear quite quickly afterwards but I feel like I'm only getting 'real' readings 2/4 weeks in the month. Grr - nature ay?
  • overin2015
    overin2015 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I do now. It helps me to fight this mentally watching that my body does exactly what it is supposed to do - gain some water weight and then drop it when it is no longer needed. Kind of cool that things like that go on with no input from me. :D
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day. I spend 15-25% of life menstruating so I don't see a point in pretending that's not "real weight."
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

I have to if I want to know how much I weigh now - and I don't want to wait until menopause.

heh. I see what you did there.
  • evivahealth
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Change1992 wrote: »
    I know it's completely useless and a waste of energy but I get really annoyed by the effect it has on the whole tracking thing. (Although, this may be because I like order a tad too much!)

See I think it's perfectly ordered! Isn't nature wonderful? It's like yay! Congratulations you're a woman and your body is doing what it's supposed to do naturally, everything is in a monthly moon-pattern and happens in the exact same way every month, nature's order woooooo. hahahaha sorry did I just get all hippy on everyone's *kitten* there? lol
  • evivahealth
    Options
    I have no idea why that's in quotes there :-/
  • jennaatsuad
    jennaatsuad Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I experience the weight increase mid-cycle, around the time I ovulate (since I eat at a deficit, the "increase" shows up as a smaller-than-expected loss.) Then the week before and week of, I have huge 2 - 4 pound losses, as all the water weight goes away. It all averages out to about 1 - 2 pounds a week, and the overall trend is what's important, so I don't really worry about it.
  • littlmissapril
    littlmissapril Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I do. I usually see a small weight gain or no change in weight the week before. The 1st day I start I automatically shed 2 pounds that I was retaining from the week prior.
  • bewarethedog
    bewarethedog Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I do. I like the data. And since I know why I'm up, it never bothers me much.
  • LustyArgonianMaid
    LustyArgonianMaid Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I do, but for some reason I lose a couple pounds during that time. I would rather weigh less for 75% of the month rather than the 25%, but whatever lol.
  • vixtris
    vixtris Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    I do it because I weigh myself daily and want to record the fluctuations ... it is, however, very misleading and off-putting :/ But I like seeing the huge drop on the scale afterwards :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!