Options
2»

Replies

• htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    andrikosDE wrote: »
    sofaking6 wrote: »

And definitely don't read the Bible - that's a stress fest! Murder, death, torture, etc...yikes...

lol!
    I highly recommend the spaghetti monster prayer. It's very nourishing.

+1

R'amen.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I think the spaghetti monster is a farce- the one true one is Chuthlu.

But. being said- feel free to do one of those walking at home videos- then you don't even need to leave your house!

But slow down- yes doing cardio your heart rate goes up- but it shouldn't be sky rocketing- it's perfectly acceptable and it's probably the best course of action to do- is to just SLOW DOWN.
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,476 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    On the spiritual side, maybe you could try reading the Bible and praying a bit more. A panic disorder is more than just a biological response to outward stimuli. All the best! :-)

"And he found a new jawbone of an *kitten*, and put forth his hand, and took it, and slew a thousand men therewith. And Samson said, With the jawbone of an *kitten*, heaps upon heaps, with the jaw of an *kitten* have I slain a thousand men."
    Judges 15:15-16

Does this help you OP?

edit: the censored word means donkey.
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    I have no idea how religion got into this thread. Personally I even find the suggestion beyond offensive.
  • daydreams_of_pretty
    daydreams_of_pretty Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Have you consulted your doctor? Are you on Meds? My Mom has to take Thyroid Meds, and that would really mess with her metabolism if she did not have the right dose, and right diet - that's why I ask about Meds. Maybe doing a slow muscle workout could help you. I have seen people lose lots of body fat on just Yoga, but if you can do a slow muscle workout in the gym, that could help you normalize your metabolism, which could help you with your panic disorder.
    On the spiritual side, maybe you could try reading the Bible and praying a bit more. A panic disorder is more than just a biological response to outward stimuli. All the best! :-)

Are you referring to the panic demons or the fact that her panicking is surely her soul reacting to the fact that she's not "right" enough with God/Jesus/Whales/Etc.

:|:|:|

OP, there are so many great tips in here about other types of workouts and Yoga (especially the Yoga). Meditation helps with panic and anxiety as well. I think that guided meditation is much better, at least at first, provided that you can access it without causing more panic (ironic, I know, but it happens).

It may make you feel better to know that you may not have to always deal with panic attacks. I used to have them quite frequently but hadn't had them in a few years (until I had one a couple of days ago - blah).

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    First of all, running is NOT the be-all-and-end-all of fitness. There are many other types of cardio you can do, assuming you can get past the panic when your heart rate goes up.

I agree that CBT is a great suggestion. The therapist can give you coping mechanisms that fit you (and yes, prayer is an effective one but also meditation, chanting, deep breathing, visualization, etc. are good ones, depending on the person and their beliefs) and that you can implement into your routine. Medication has its place, but why not try therapy first and, if that isn't enough, go into other solutions.
  • 2snakeswoman
    2snakeswoman Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    I can highly recommend yoga, and it can be very effective, too. One of my daughter's friends was working very hard the year before her wedding to look great for the big day. She ran as well as worked out on the elliptical and lifted weights. She did look great for her wedding but didn't lose much weight. Then she started yoga, and she looks like an entirely different person now - very slim as well as flexible and beautifully proportioned. She said that yoga completed changed her relationship with food as well as with her body. It might even reverse your anxiety problem.
  • Zaftique
    Zaftique Posts: 599 Member
    Options

And definitely don't read the Bible - that's a stress fest! Murder, death, torture, etc...yikes...

lol!

I find the Tao Te Ching to be instantly calming. The Stephen Mitchell translation is best - short but sweet.

• WickedPineapple
    WickedPineapple Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    1. Talk to your doctor. My doctor actually put me on a beta blocker, which is mostly meant for people with high blood pressure, to help with the physical symptoms of anxiety. Basically, it lowers your heart rate. I also have xanax, but I rarely need to use it these days.
    2. For cardio, as people have mentioned above, start with walking. You don't have to run, ever, if you don't want to.
    3. Yoga, meditation/deep breathing exercises, and CBT are all wonderful suggestions for people who suffer from anxiety and depression. I'd recommend all of them! I'm currently looking for a CBT therapist to help with my social anxiety.

• APeacefulWarrior
    APeacefulWarrior Posts: 86 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I've dealt with panic attacks for almost 30 years now, and I feel a lot of empathy for what you're going through. First I would see a dr just to rule out something physical that might be contributing to the attacks - having iron deficiency anemia or low Vitamin B6 levels can make them worse and are so easily remedied with supplements.

Medication has its place. In my case, being on a low dose beta blocker did the trick. Slows your heart rate down by about 10 bpm so that when your heart rate does rise, it doesn't feel as drastic and it doesn't trigger anxiety as quickly.

As for seeing a therapist, one of the first questions they'll probably ask is -what is it about running/exercise/or whatever that raises your anxiety. Were there any situations in your life that would create anxiety about these activities? Look for your triggers and work on desensitizing yourself to them. CBT is great, EMDR worked for me. Having someone around while you're exercising may be all you need (It took me a while to realize that I was terrified that something would happen and no one would be there to help me based on my ex-husband always threatening to let me die if I got sick or hurt... part of the reason he's my ex, lol.) If you're going to go the therapy route, find a therapist you feel like you are completely comfortable with and preferably one who doesn't have an agenda. Good luck to you!
  • yourradimradletshug
    yourradimradletshug Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Talk to a doctor first and foremost! That's going to be the important part.

After seeing a doctor try doing something like weights or you can do something like yoga which will keep you calm and relaxed while working out and building strength. :)
  • nekoface
    nekoface Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Yoga!
  • Justygirl77
    Justygirl77 Posts: 385 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    so basically every time my heart rate goes up slightly I have a panic attack, so I can't really work out properly. I want to get fit to feel better but every time I try to run or do cardio I land up having a panic attack. Any advice please??
    Try walking in the morning for about an hour. In fact walking outside a couple times a day is like immediate medicine for anxiety! Also have you used St John's wort? Don't know if you see a dr or if you take meds, but check it out. I used it for anxiety and it was really effective, I used a dropper bottle. Only side effect I experienced was the expected one....use sunscreen because you'll burn easier. Also it's not addictive and actually supports your body to rebalance.
    I found with anxiety that staying ahead of it is key....don't wait until you feel it to do something. Stay on a schedule of walking and supplements. It took me a few months to heal.

• autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    CBT for panic is super effective, one of the best treatments we have. People normally see benefits within a few sessions :)

I saw this before I saw the previous post that mentions Cognitive Behavioral Therapy. If you intend to search for CBT in a search engine, please be aware that Cognitive Behavioral Therapy isn't the only result you'll pull up. You might (or might not) want to consider using safe search for that.

• sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options

lol!

Ramen!
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    I highly recommend (as others have) Cognitive Behavioral Therapy. I used to have panic attacks as part of my PTSD. Therapy helped me learn the tools to find/understand my triggers and stop the attacks from happening.

Since walking won't raise your heart rate quickly, I suggest that as an exercise to get you started.

Good luck!