Calling all Runners

Options
Any runners out there? If it wasnt for running i dont know what kinda shape I would be in. I have grown to love it. I have 4 children and sometimes I just need that run to clear my head and recharge. Anyone else use your run time to decompress?

Replies

• jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    I am a walker/jogger/runner and yes it is great for relieving stress and clearing my mind

url=http://www.myfitnesspal.com/weight-loss-ticker]29509743.png[/url]
  • krknobbe10
    krknobbe10 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I love to run and feel the best after a few sweaty miles. I feel it is the best cardio if my body isn't too beat up from it. It just stinks that it hinders my muscle growth since I run 20-30 miles a week.
    Do you believe in that your body burns less calories the more you get used to running? Thoughts on that?
  • ReynaDay01
    ReynaDay01 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I just started running and this is so true for me! I use a nice short trail that has plenty of trees, shade and scenery. I know this isn't my topic, but does anyone have tips for a noob?
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    krknobbe10 wrote: »
    I love to run and feel the best after a few sweaty miles. I feel it is the best cardio if my body isn't too beat up from it. It just stinks that it hinders my muscle growth since I run 20-30 miles a week.
    Do you believe in that your body burns less calories the more you get used to running? Thoughts on that?

Calorie burns don't change that much. If you lose weight, it will go down some. There's an excellent formula for estimating what you burn per mile running (it is still an estimate, though).

http://www.runnersworld.com/weight-loss/how-many-calories-are-you-really-burning?page=2

.63 x your weight (in lbs) x miles = Net Calorie Burn

I've been running for over 2 years. Love it for the stress relief, endurance improvements, and mental challenges.

There's an excellent running group here: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/94-long-distance-runners
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    ReynaDay01 wrote: »
    I just started running and this is so true for me! I use a nice short trail that has plenty of trees, shade and scenery. I know this isn't my topic, but does anyone have tips for a noob?

Tips? Just get out and enjoy the outdoors. Run as far as you think you can, but don't push more than that. Increase your mileage slowly (both weekly and single-run). Get properly fitted shoes - this is a huge help with new runners. Don't try to run too fast at first, and don't worry about pace. Just enjoy being outside :)
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    ReynaDay01 wrote: »

Check this out: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1217573/so-you-want-to-start-running/p1
  • waldronsix
    waldronsix Posts: 18 Member
    Options

I did hear that. I heard that if you change your route it will help you burn more calories. Add hills or change directions. Sometimes I just run my route backwards and its a big difference. Hard to change things up without getting hit by a car...lol
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    No, just the opposite. Once you are in shape your body can do much more work at no greater effort level. You can burn a lot more calories in the same amount of time.

• sailrunner
    sailrunner Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Calorie burns don't change that much. If you lose weight, it will go down some. There's an excellent formula for estimating what you burn per mile running (it is still an estimate, though).

http://www.runnersworld.com/weight-loss/how-many-calories-are-you-really-burning?page=2

.63 x your weight (in lbs) x miles = Net Calorie Burn"

HELP - yet another formula.
    I'm having difficulty reconciling MFP with my phone app -Map My Run
    Yesterday ran 4.7 miles - MFP gave me 461 calories, Map gave me 604 and this formula gave me 394. How do I know what is accurate?
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    App calculations are all over the map, pardon the pun. It is best to err on the conservative side if you are using calorie expenditure from exercise for your CICO math.

A mapping tool that knows about elevation change may estimate a little higher, assuming a climb, than a straight cals per km/mile calculation, as would be expected.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    When I first began running, I was so unfit I barely moved my arms. Now I do. I think I put out a more efficient energy burn on my runs now.