POPCORN

Options
"oil-popped popcorn has only 55 calories per cup".

Does this mean that you pour one cup of unpopped popcorn kernels into oil, pop it, then eating all the popped popcorn is 55 calories?

Or do you pop popcorn, then portion out a cup of popped popcorn for 55 calories?

Replies

• ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Popcorn is a little bit of a mystery to me from reading the info on the bag of the microwavable stuff. However one cup of unpopped kernels seems like it would be a whole lot of popcorn and thus way more than 55 calories. I think its one cup of popped popcorn however measuring it out by the cup isn't good either.
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    They've got to be talking one cup of popped.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    It is after it has been popped.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    I am fairly sure that it means "popped" popcorn.

My microwave Skinnygirl w/butter and sea salt is 160 for 6 cups.
  • donjtomasco
    donjtomasco Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    Orville Redenbacher Original Kernal Popping Corn has 120 calories in a 7.5 cup service. I think that is a pretty good snack.
  • daisyverma
    daisyverma Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I just get a big bag of skinny pop popcorn from Costco which lasts me for a while...its low sodium and tastes pretty good!
  • jenniferinfl
    jenniferinfl Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    2 tbsp of unpopped kernels is 87 calories for the kind I buy. I use a microwave airpopper and then add 2 tsp of olive oil afterwards so the salt sticks.. lol 166 calories. Though, 2 tbsp of kernels doesn't really seem to make that much popcorn, maybe around 3 cups?
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    The popcorn kernals you are planning on using should have nutrition/serving/preparation info on the packaging.
    I use jolly time, and it's 110 calories for 2 tbsp (33 grams) DRY/unpopped. It claims that produces 5 cups popped, whatever that means. The 5 cup volume will be messed up by the oil and steam from oil popping, so as imprecise as using cups to measure solids already is, these exasperbate the imprecision.
    I Would figure out the calories of dry kernals you're going to pop, the calories of the oil you're going to use to pop your corn, and log the total if you are going to eat it all, or divide the finished popcorn best you can into even portions and log your fraction/portion of the total.
    I recommend getting an air popper if you eat popcorn often. It's easier to log and air popped is a lot less calories.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    I have a very lightweight pot with a tight lid and pop it on the stove without oil, shaking it the whole time. I figure that burns at least 20 - 25 calories, and since the popcorn is so low in calories, it becomes a negative.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    "oil-popped popcorn has only 55 calories per cup".

Does this mean that you pour one cup of unpopped popcorn kernels into oil, pop it, then eating all the popped popcorn is 55 calories?

Or do you pop popcorn, then portion out a cup of popped popcorn for 55 calories?

No, I think it's more like one cup of popped corn has about 55 calorie per cup.

Look on the package and weigh out the kernels for whatever portion size that is, and you should come out to about three cups of popcorn. Oh, put your oil in too. I usually use a teaspoon and it works great.
  • maroonmango211
    maroonmango211 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    I weight out my kernels and I measure out my oil and put both in my popcorn maker (one of those turn table bowl lid kinds) and I'm guessing it would equal about that if I used all the oil recommended (I use half and it works just fine). You could split hairs and argue that some of the oil is left all over the popper, but I wouldn't say its enough to under estimate for.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,671 Member
    Options
    One cup of kernels would make one heckuva lot of popcorn, so I'm going with the nutritional value being for one cup popped.
    I make popcorn at home by putting 1tbsp kernels in a small bowl, drizzling with olive oil, then dumping it into a paper lunch bag. Fold over the top and pop it in the microwave, hit the "popcorn" button and it will pop just like the expensive store-bought microwave bags but is much healthier and tastier.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    I weight out my kernels and I measure out my oil and put both in my popcorn maker (one of those turn table bowl lid kinds) and I'm guessing it would equal about that if I used all the oil recommended (I use half and it works just fine). You could split hairs and argue that some of the oil is left all over the popper, but I wouldn't say its enough to under estimate for.

I have a Whirley Pop, and I love it.

Whirley-pop-Popcorn-Popper_20090803398.jpg

• lindaloo1213
    lindaloo1213 Posts: 283 Member
    Options

This.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    I use a microwave popper with no oil, then use spray 'butter' to get the salt and seasonings to stick. Next time I'll try my olive oil mister.
  • suzikay12
    suzikay12 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I put 3 Tablespoons of popcorn kernels in a brown paper bag. Fold the top over a couple of times. Microwave for a little over a minute. This makes approximately 4 cups of popped popcorn for 140 calories. Mist it with the olive oil mister or use real melted butter (depending on where my fat and calories are at for the day) and salt to taste.

Store bought microwave popcorn is full of chemicals, once I tasted popcorn by making it the above way, I never looked back. It is so much better and all natural!
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,637 Member
    Options
    suzikay12 wrote: »
    I put 3 Tablespoons of popcorn kernels in a brown paper bag. Fold the top over a couple of times. Microwave for a little over a minute. This makes approximately 4 cups of popped popcorn for 140 calories. Mist it with the olive oil mister or use real melted butter (depending on where my fat and calories are at for the day) and salt to taste.
    Store bought microwave popcorn is full of chemicals, once I tasted popcorn by making it the above way, I never looked back. It is so much better and all natural!
    Do you add the butter/oil before or after popping? Any moisture? Size of bag? Thanks!
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    suzikay12 wrote: »

Popcorn is a chemical. So is butter. So is olive oil.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    They're talking popped.
  • rocknlotsofrolls
    rocknlotsofrolls Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I just buy the little bags of Smart cheddar popcorn. You get a satisfying amount for 100 calories.